OFFICIAL: XLABS Steez / Braap Thread - Page 2 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Nov 09, 2017, 03:36 PM
IG: nectar.collector
OpusNectar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238
My 4.5" alien is 590g AUW with the kiss electronics and a thunderpower 1300, and TPU gopro mount. i dont think the steez will get me any lighter than that.

also while the alien is a 345 geometry. i consider it a wide X or squished X. I thought the Steez and Braap were symmetrical X's? the stance does not look any wider than it is long by the looks of it.
Well, we've already covered that you won't be losing any weight with the Steez....a few times. You could definitely lose some weight, my 4.5 with a 4in1 and R5s is 579ish with a light Lipo, but since you're tied to Kiss, that's not really an option.

I misspoke, I just meant to say the stance of the Steez and Braap is a wider pure X config than we normally see in 5" quads currently, and you do feel the wider stance in flight.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 10:02 AM
Steez FPV
lyons238's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusNectar
Well, we've already covered that you won't be losing any weight with the Steez....a few times. You could definitely lose some weight, my 4.5 with a 4in1 and R5s is 579ish with a light Lipo, but since you're tied to Kiss, that's not really an option.

I misspoke, I just meant to say the stance of the Steez and Braap is a wider pure X config than we normally see in 5" quads currently, and you do feel the wider stance in flight.
the last statement is still confusing. are you trying to say the motor to motor distance is greater on this frame than in the past? when you say wider stance it sounds like you're saying it's wider on the roll axis and not the pitch, like a squished x. but i think you mean the 235mm motor to motor pure X leaves an overall bigger footprint therefore, more stable flight.

and yes i'm very happy with kiss, don't see myself switching. i could lighten my builds up by using a foam wedge instead of a gopro mount but other than that i already use a micro swift cam, 25mm standoffs, and build pretty lean.

I do really like how the steez allows you to more easily toilet tank or use square batteries to tighten up the COG.
Nov 10, 2017, 10:14 AM
IG: nectar.collector
OpusNectar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238
the last statement is still confusing. are you trying to say the motor to motor distance is greater on this frame than in the past? when you say wider stance it sounds like you're saying it's wider on the roll axis and not the pitch, like a squished x. but i think you mean the 235mm motor to motor pure X leaves an overall bigger footprint therefore, more stable flight.

and yes i'm very happy with kiss, don't see myself switching. i could lighten my builds up by using a foam wedge instead of a gopro mount but other than that i already use a micro swift cam, 25mm standoffs, and build pretty lean.

I do really like how the steez allows you to more easily toilet tank or use square batteries to tighten up the COG.
ITS BIGGER! I'm terrible with my descriptions.

Yeah once we start trying to shave the last 10gs or so, compromises have to start being taken into account. I switched from a SMA Pigtail + Triumph to a u.fl AXII and lost 12 grams. But due to the placement of it, I'm not so sure about reception. But damn thats a 568gr Alien all up!

Speaking of toilet tanking the Lipo, you could actually try a Braap with the Xlabs "m0ke boop pod" which is a slightly longer front end for the Braap, adding a few grams over the stock pod, but you get MUCH better GoPro support, and can still run 5.5" props.
Nov 10, 2017, 10:26 AM
Registered User
Our local guys are all on board with the Braap and Steeze. Yes the weight sucks with the Braap being 50g over say a purebred racing frame, but its durability or fix?

Many good pilots couldn't even turtle out of a crash with a purebred raceframe, because there was a 70% chance your arm was broken at MDX. I have videos to prove from our Team Wreckless pilots.

In one example our pilot crashed and engaged turtle mode. BUT his arm had a sheered bolt and it took all his skill just to keep the quad in the air and complete laps. Pilot was Corey C, you can see his motor wiggle waggle all over the place during the Pro Semi-Finals. He made it to the finals.

Gab707 didn't make the finals and he is an excellent Team Canada pilot, guess why? He broke an arm in the previous heat and had to switch to a quad he wasn't accustomed to.

Jordan sold us on the Braap and Steeze and he is no slouch of a pilot.

So the options are make 5 to 8 Purebred race builds so you don't have to fix in between heats or stay up late, or run say 3 Braaps. Part of going to big races is the socialisation part, unfortunately that's not possible if you are fixing all the time.

I do want a Braap Axii Stubby holder, that should keep the antenna well protected.

BTW if you guys are at 590 ish grams AUW with a 1300 pack imagine the weight with a 1600mAh pack.
Nov 10, 2017, 12:21 PM
IG: nectar.collector
OpusNectar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFromYEG
Our local guys are all on board with the Braap and Steeze. Yes the weight sucks with the Braap being 50g over say a purebred racing frame, but its durability or fix?

Many good pilots couldn't even turtle out of a crash with a purebred raceframe, because there was a 70% chance your arm was broken at MDX. I have videos to prove from our Team Wreckless pilots.

In one example our pilot crashed and engaged turtle mode. BUT his arm had a sheered bolt and it took all his skill just to keep the quad in the air and complete laps. Pilot was Corey C, you can see his motor wiggle waggle all over the place during the Pro Semi-Finals. He made it to the finals.

Gab707 didn't make the finals and he is an excellent Team Canada pilot, guess why? He broke an arm in the previous heat and had to switch to a quad he wasn't accustomed to.

Jordan sold us on the Braap and Steeze and he is no slouch of a pilot.

So the options are make 5 to 8 Purebred race builds so you don't have to fix in between heats or stay up late, or run say 3 Braaps. Part of going to big races is the socialisation part, unfortunately that's not possible if you are fixing all the time.

I do want a Braap Axii Stubby holder, that should keep the antenna well protected.

BTW if you guys are at 590 ish grams AUW with a 1300 pack imagine the weight with a 1600mAh pack.
I would say I agree with most/all you're saying. I never hopped onto the superlight birds, I've always been used to flying and building quads in the 300-350gr (props on, nothing else) ballpark, as it's just what I find is the sweet spot for inertia. Super light builds just feel a little....weird to me. But since I'm no longer super interested in racing, it doesn't really matter anyways.

I've also been looking for AXII solutions for the Braap, but I cant find anything that utilizes a single standoff, so until i learn to design, I will have to wait for someone much smarter than me to whip it up in CAD.
Nov 13, 2017, 10:06 AM
Steez FPV
lyons238's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusNectar
ITS BIGGER! I'm terrible with my descriptions.

Yeah once we start trying to shave the last 10gs or so, compromises have to start being taken into account. I switched from a SMA Pigtail + Triumph to a u.fl AXII and lost 12 grams. But due to the placement of it, I'm not so sure about reception. But damn thats a 568gr Alien all up!

Speaking of toilet tanking the Lipo, you could actually try a Braap with the Xlabs "m0ke boop pod" which is a slightly longer front end for the Braap, adding a few grams over the stock pod, but you get MUCH better GoPro support, and can still run 5.5" props.
Wow that's an awesome idea. I really like the idea of the Braap for freestyle. It would be perfect for a semi light weight but really stable freestyle rig. I think the bigger footprint with the skinnier arms will actually be super good for freestyle. Have you ever flown an old rig with super wide arms? It blocks half your thrust. Even jumping down to Alien sized arms was a huge help, even thinner but strong would be nice, except then the kiss esc's tower over them, but I think I could get away with it just mounting them as close to the center of the frame as possible. Now I just need to figure out how to do an osd/pdb that will work with kiss aside from the steele pdb. if i can come up with a solution for that then im in on the braap with the moke pod.

IMO 550-580g AUW is perfect for a freestyle rig. Having durability but also lots of power and pop when you need it from the good power to weight. Right now I'm at 590AUW with tpu gopro mount and built for durability and maintenance. I'm sure I could shave a few grams here and there but then I sacrifice serviceability and durability. 590AUW isn't bad just hair off where I want it.
Dec 07, 2017, 04:46 AM
Registered User
NarcolepticLTD's Avatar
I just started reading up on this frame... the difference between them is a shorter body on the braap vs the steez, also giving the braap a lighter weight and room to run 6" props correct? Is the deck clearance the same for both? At the moment it looks like the Braap is still in stock while the Steez has sold out... I think if I can replace the hardware with aluminum it may drop a good bit of weight while still getting the features of the frame I'm interested in...

Offhand does anyone know what the angle of tilt the gopro shelf is set up for?
Dec 07, 2017, 11:54 AM
IG: nectar.collector
OpusNectar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcolepticLTD
I just started reading up on this frame... the difference between them is a shorter body on the braap vs the steez, also giving the braap a lighter weight and room to run 6" props correct? Is the deck clearance the same for both? At the moment it looks like the Braap is still in stock while the Steez has sold out... I think if I can replace the hardware with aluminum it may drop a good bit of weight while still getting the features of the frame I'm interested in...

Offhand does anyone know what the angle of tilt the gopro shelf is set up for?
Shelf is 30deg if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, Braap top and bottom plates are more compact than Steez. top deck on the steez is slightly longer.
Dec 07, 2017, 12:49 PM
Registered User
NarcolepticLTD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusNectar
Shelf is 30deg if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, Braap top and bottom plates are more compact than Steez. top deck on the steez is slightly longer.
Well I accidentally a braap last night so I guess I'll have all the details in my hands next week
Dec 07, 2017, 01:05 PM
IG: nectar.collector
OpusNectar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcolepticLTD
Well I accidentally a braap last night so I guess I'll have all the details in my hands next week
Its a nice frame, tight but perfect fit with a Hobbywing stack (had to trim pod a bit for stack clearance), Micro Crossfire Rx up front, Unify out back. No space wasted, ~610g w/ Props, 100C CNHL (185g), and a Session. I've built a tooon of frames, and this is one of the rare birds I'll be keeping for myself.

Note: in the pic below I am using optional Boop pod for the Braap. Longer front section to mirror the Steez. Reduces max prop size to 5.5" (same as Steez max prop size).
Dec 07, 2017, 08:14 PM
Registered User
NarcolepticLTD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusNectar
Its a nice frame, tight but perfect fit with a Hobbywing stack (had to trim pod a bit for stack clearance), Micro Crossfire Rx up front, Unify out back. No space wasted, ~610g w/ Props, 100C CNHL (185g), and a Session. I've built a tooon of frames, and this is one of the rare birds I'll be keeping for myself.

Note: in the pic below I am using optional Boop pod for the Braap. Longer front section to mirror the Steez. Reduces max prop size to 5.5" (same as Steez max prop size).
Nice! that pod wasn't an option via pyroflip, but I'm guessing I can get one later from Brain3d. Does that just give you more shelf to mount the gopro vs the stock braap nose?
Dec 12, 2017, 02:49 AM
Registered User
NarcolepticLTD's Avatar
Opus, is that pod the Steez pod or a special 'steez style' braap pod? not seeing an option so I can only guess it's the steez pod on a braap?

My Braap showed up earlier today, with a motolab typhoon stack - it fits even though it isn't optimal (usb port is half covered by a standoff, but not touching). I'll be running ESC's on the arms so I can run 6s, and just now seeing the other differences between the 2 frames - the steez also has wider arms... braap looks like it's better optimized for a 4n1, but I can make it work.

EDIT: Got in touch with xlabs and learned it's a downloadable STL in the downloads section.
Last edited by NarcolepticLTD; Dec 12, 2017 at 07:50 AM. Reason: new info
Dec 13, 2017, 04:07 AM
Registered User

Hobbywing Stack Fitment.....?


Is it true the USB on the fc gets covered by the standoff when using the Hobbywing stack?

If so, isn't this a proper PIA? The pod is fixed by the standoff isn't it?
Dec 13, 2017, 05:51 PM
IG: nectar.collector
OpusNectar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentishNo1
Is it true the USB on the fc gets covered by the standoff when using the Hobbywing stack?

If so, isn't this a proper PIA? The pod is fixed by the standoff isn't it?
Lol yes, this is my biggest gripe with this frame.

Easiest thing is to undo both bolts holding the standoff, and slip it out with the top plate still on. It's probably the best way to get to it.
Dec 13, 2017, 05:54 PM
IG: nectar.collector
OpusNectar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcolepticLTD
Opus, is that pod the Steez pod or a special 'steez style' braap pod? not seeing an option so I can only guess it's the steez pod on a braap?

My Braap showed up earlier today, with a motolab typhoon stack - it fits even though it isn't optimal (usb port is half covered by a standoff, but not touching). I'll be running ESC's on the arms so I can run 6s, and just now seeing the other differences between the 2 frames - the steez also has wider arms... braap looks like it's better optimized for a 4n1, but I can make it work.

EDIT: Got in touch with xlabs and learned it's a downloadable STL in the downloads section.
Sorry i didn't make that more clear in my original post, i do have extra Boop pods printed that I can mail you at postage cost, if you're in the US.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rave Hyperion Vengeance 280 Racer ~ Official Release Thread HyperionRocks Multirotor Drone Talk 1996 Jan 13, 2018 10:09 AM
Discussion The OFFICIAL E-Flite UMX P-47 BL BNF MOD Thread Kevin Greene Micro Ready-to-Fly 371 Jan 11, 2018 10:30 PM
Discussion Skyfun 875mm from Skyartech, official thread mike_o Pusher Prop Jet Models 16 May 06, 2017 09:23 PM
Discussion The OFFICIAL 'What makes it Official?' Thread CorsairJock Micro Ready-to-Fly 16 Nov 19, 2009 09:05 PM
Poll the official what is the real official sukhoi thread poll dragrcr Micro Ready-to-Fly 29 Jul 19, 2009 12:21 PM