This thread is privately moderated by awmeade, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 27, 2017, 05:48 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Thread OP
Gallery

Introduction

Some recent projects here - of course all un-powered gliders!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2017, 08:32 AM
Slow builder
You do nice work. There's some top looking machines there.

Al
Oct 30, 2017, 03:51 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Thread OP
Thanks Al! More to add, just need to find decent photos of them. The only one not still in the hanger is the B52, and the C17 is next to roll off the production line in time for April, I hope.
Oct 31, 2017, 11:48 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Very cool! Do you use a similar production technique for all of them?

Any tips for getting those crystal clear canopies?

Really nice work.
Nov 01, 2017, 12:39 AM
Living the dream
Awesome to see all your handy work in one place Andy. Really impressive stuff.
The Dragon Lady really needs a ground pic to show it's immense size
Lookin' forward to the Vulcan pics
Last edited by KiwiKid; Nov 01, 2017 at 12:45 AM.
Nov 01, 2017, 03:46 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Thread OP
Lol, I've missed the Vulcan! I shall be beaten by the Vulcanites of the PSSA. Pictures attached

@surfimp - nope, they are all built quite differently. The BUFF is veneered foam with ply keels; the U2 and Flanker are all built up; the C17 is a mixture of built up and foam blockwork with veneered foam wings and tail. The Viggen and F15 are glass fuselages with veneered foam wings...so I'll try anything really!

No real trick for the canopies - if they aren't included in the kit, I usually send a wooden plug off to be done professionally I'm afraid.
Nov 01, 2017, 04:39 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Thread OP
Here are some pics from the C17 progress - designed in SolidWorks, then modified as I went really. AUW looking around the 35lbs mark, with any luck!
Nov 01, 2017, 06:28 AM
Living the dream
Very nicely engineered Andy, will have great presence in the air. As the maiden day approaches you may like to devise a fitness programme for the launch crew
Nov 04, 2018, 06:30 AM
Mk9
Mk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by awmeade
Lol, I've missed the Vulcan! I shall be beaten by the Vulcanites of the PSSA. Pictures attached

@surfimp - nope, they are all built quite differently. The BUFF is veneered foam with ply keels; the U2 and Flanker are all built up; the C17 is a mixture of built up and foam blockwork with veneered foam wings and tail. The Viggen and F15 are glass fuselages with veneered foam wings...so I'll try anything really!

No real trick for the canopies - if they aren't included in the kit, I usually send a wooden plug off to be done professionally I'm afraid.
Lovely planes. I'm especially partial to the Vulcan. I've just helped my Dad get his big PSS one into the air for the first time in a LONG time and he's misplaced the plans so we have no idea who the designer was. Is yours from plans or scratchbuilt?
Nov 05, 2018, 09:50 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Thread OP
Mine was from plans - South Herts Models in fact. If yours is a 6 foot span version, with an aluminium wing joiner set quite far back in the wing, I have the plans on PDF I can email over.
Dec 14, 2018, 03:49 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Thread OP
Some pictures of the big Antonov 225 that had it's re-maiden earlier this year. Flies just like steering a big slow bus through the air.
Dec 14, 2018, 03:51 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Thread OP
The little Dassault Rafale - all 1.9lbs of her. Took a while to get this one dialled in on the C of G, so not too many flying shots as yet.
Dec 14, 2018, 03:53 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Thread OP
The Fouga Magister is a real beaut to fly - always locked in, grooves through turns, rolls very axially. Also flies in light winds if you're careful.
Dec 14, 2018, 03:56 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Thread OP
The Flanker flies nice enough, but was plagued early on with mechanical issues. I often think about selling it, then remember what a massive PITA she was to build, I think I'd regret it.

Quick Reply