84mm Pocket Quad's LightSpeed - Lightest 1104 2" - 5.9 grams/RunCam Nano/200mw - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Oct 27, 2017, 03:01 AM
www.pocketquads.com
PocketQuads's Avatar
New Product

84mm Pocket Quad's LightSpeed - Lightest 1104 2" - 5.9 grams/RunCam Nano/200mw


So I would like to start by introducing myself. My name is Ryan, I am 23 years old and found out about fpv nearly 2 years ago. I have always loved micros, for me it's all about making something smaller as good or better then something bigger.

As micros have been progressing manufacturers have just been adding bigger motors, larger escs and thicker stronger frames. In my opinion the real way to make a quadcopter better is to reduce the weight. Weight reduction is like adding power, agility, durability, flight time, reduced component stress, and bystander safety all at once. The lighter something gets the more removing every gram counts.

I have been asked if this is just a one off custom project. It is not, you can buy one for yourself for $179.99.
https://pocketquads.com/products/lightspeed

RunCam Nano (1 min 1 sec)


Product:





It's 42g. No it doesn't have teeny little motors, an underpowered video transmitter or even a wimpy receiver. 42g is with a RunCam Nano, 1104 motors, full range xm+ diversity receiver, F4 flight controller with osd, selectable 25-50-200mw video transmitter plus an xt30 connector. For comparison a lizard95 weighs 66g. Weight with recommended 300mah 2s lipo is 59g. This puts the thrust ratio at 8:1.

How is this possible? 6.8 gram frame including hardware. Without hardware its 5.9g, almost what you expect from a tiny whoop frame. Yep, it's half the weight of other 2 inch frames. So it's fragile right? Maybe it's some bamboo chopsticks glued together....nope. Not only is it lighter...it's also stronger, vibration free, completely protects all components and let's face it...better looking. The material is flexible by nature however the frame is designed not to be. This is where strength comes from. The aerodynamic arms are designed in such a way to be stiff under full thrust but flexible in every other direction. Not sold? All Pocket Quads include a lifetime frame warranty.

The only possible way to achieve this is through fdm 3d printing. You can't make something like this in a mold, not even close. It took 70 different versions of the frame to realize the old material (taulman alloy 910) wasn't going to work. Countless different iterations adjusting geometry and print settings only resulted in either a model too heavy yet strong ...or vice versa. So I made my own material.

Every model is hand assembled and takes about 2 hours to complete. There are no connectors everything is hand soldered which takes time getting all of the wire lengths correct. FrSky receivers are updated to latest firmware. Flight controller is updated to latest betaflight. It's a model that meant to be truly bind and fly.

Full Specs:
  • 25-50-200mw 5.8ghz video transmitter with led screen. Heatsink included.
  • Highest quality HLY EagleHawk S1104 7000kv brushless motors
  • 5 Minute aggressive flight time with just a 300mah 2s battery.
  • F4 flight controller with OSD and Betaflight 3.2.1.
  • Optional FrSky XM+ dual antenna receiver with rssi
  • 2s (7.4v) 4 in 1 esc with dshot 600
  • Runcam® Nano 165 degree fov and 30 degree tilt
  • Programmable locater beacon through betaflight

If you want I can build you one. Frame is not currently being sold separately. It is a very tricky build.

Reserve yours at https://pocketquads.com/products/lightspeed

Also follow us on instagram at https://www.instagram.com/pocket_quads/

.
.
Last edited by PocketQuads; Nov 08, 2017 at 12:18 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2017, 03:20 AM
Registered User
Looks awesome, have you experimented with 3s?
Oct 27, 2017, 03:33 AM
www.pocketquads.com
PocketQuads's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnz56
Looks awesome, have you experimented with 3s?
It doesn't support 3s unfortunately. The motors easily will however I need a 16x16mm 3s esc and a 16x16mm fc with osd that supports 3s. Neither of those exist right now. I may be able to scrap together a 3s version but it wouldn't be something I sell until I have components with those specs.

Right now on 2s 300mah it still has a higher power to weight then a lizard95 on a 450mah 3s but with a longer flight time.

LightSpeed on 2s has 115g of thrust per motor and weighs 58g with a 8:1 thrust ratio.
Lizard95 on 3s has 210g of thrust per motor and weighs 110g with a 7.6:1 ratio.

The future is bright.
Last edited by PocketQuads; Oct 27, 2017 at 03:42 AM.
Oct 27, 2017, 04:16 AM
Registered User
I really like the look of this, will consider one when I get some $$. On the point of "All Pocket Quads include a lifetime frame warranty" - I assume this applies to the frame? You're saying this frame will not break under any circumstances or that it's so rare that you're willing to replace broken frames?
Oct 27, 2017, 04:24 AM
Registered User
Looks great!
Last edited by Airex; Oct 27, 2017 at 04:47 AM.
Oct 27, 2017, 10:36 AM
Registered User
3DFun's Avatar
Top work.
If you could fit in a CCD camera into it then I think you have made the best 2" 2s sub 100mm out there.

Personally I'm on the look out for a sub 120mm that can spin 3" on either 3s or 4s.
Given what you have done with this one I would love to see what you could fit a 3" spinner into
Oct 27, 2017, 11:52 AM
2nd in command
nickburns's Avatar
Your product looks very good and well thought out.

I suspect the price point may keep the market gain suppressed. I am not saying your product isn't worth it, but competing with the nearly sub $100 in the far east market could be a barrier in this category.

I suggest putting together a crash reel to prove the durability, many will fear the 3d printing. Also, a thrust matrix rather than stating an 8 to 1 ratio. You may want to include a few prop options in the thrust matrix, but be sure to name the prop with pitch and blade numbers.

If you can find a way to get your product into the hands of influential pilots that may also help.
Oct 27, 2017, 11:58 AM
Registered User
Looks great !
$50 cheaper and it would be a no brainer.
Oct 27, 2017, 12:16 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickburns
Your product looks very good and well thought out.

I suspect the price point may keep the market gain suppressed. I am not saying your product isn't worth it, but competing with the nearly sub $100 in the far east market could be a barrier in this category.

I suggest putting together a crash reel to prove the durability, many will fear the 3d printing. Also, a thrust matrix rather than stating an 8 to 1 ratio. You may want to include a few prop options in the thrust matrix, but be sure to name the prop with pitch and blade numbers.

If you can find a way to get your product into the hands of influential pilots that may also help.
Specifically, get your product in the hands of Nick. Nobody does micro reviews better.
Oct 27, 2017, 12:50 PM
2nd in command
nickburns's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSvForce
Specifically, get your product in the hands of Nick. Nobody does micro reviews better.
Thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it.
Oct 27, 2017, 12:56 PM
www.pocketquads.com
PocketQuads's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickburns
Your product looks very good and well thought out.

I suspect the price point may keep the market gain suppressed. I am not saying your product isn't worth it, but competing with the nearly sub $100 in the far east market could be a barrier in this category.

I suggest putting together a crash reel to prove the durability, many will fear the 3d printing. Also, a thrust matrix rather than stating an 8 to 1 ratio. You may want to include a few prop options in the thrust matrix, but be sure to name the prop with pitch and blade numbers.

If you can find a way to get your product into the hands of influential pilots that may also help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchai
Looks great !
$50 cheaper and it would be a no brainer.
I lowered the price. I hear you guys on the price but I buy the components at retail prices.

The motors aren't cheap but I insist on using them because they are the smoothest quietest motors I have tested.
Last edited by PocketQuads; Oct 27, 2017 at 03:21 PM.
Oct 27, 2017, 02:43 PM
Registered User
Wow, looks like a great micro quad. I like the unique approach how you build your frame and the 200mw VTX!

At 159,- I'm not even thinking that long given that it doesn't look like some cheap chinese build where I have to apply lots of fixes and read a ton of forum posts to get it to work properly.

Which receiver are you using for the Flysky option? And is it hard to change it myself (to an Frsky XM+ one)? I am considering to switch to a Taranis X7s soon but still use my Turnigy/Flysky.
Oct 27, 2017, 02:50 PM
2nd in command
nickburns's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketQuads
I lowered the price to $159.99. I hear you guys on the price but I buy the components at retail prices.

The motors aren't cheap but I insist on using them because they are the smoothest quietest motors I have tested.
Don't go hungry, retail components surely boost the price. I think its admirable you are stringent of the components used.

Have you thought about reselling the components you use? This could generate additional revenue, as you could buy more bulk of the quality components you believe in, thus decreasing costs of the Light Speed BNF and increasing its revenue? The barrier is startup costs to purchase those components in bulk. You have the webshop running. The support side is largely the community on facebook, start a group, let the community join the "support team".

Some example cases would be: airarsenal.com, airbladeuav.com, flexrc.com, quattrovolante.com, tomoquads.miiduu.com.
Oct 27, 2017, 04:18 PM
Copper Copter
I love this. Will follow it diligently.
Oct 27, 2017, 04:32 PM
www.pocketquads.com
PocketQuads's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyof
Wow, looks like a great micro quad. I like the unique approach how you build your frame and the 200mw VTX!

At 159,- I'm not even thinking that long given that it doesn't look like some cheap chinese build where I have to apply lots of fixes and read a ton of forum posts to get it to work properly.

Which receiver are you using for the Flysky option? And is it hard to change it myself (to an Frsky XM+ one)? I am considering to switch to a Taranis X7s soon but still use my Turnigy/Flysky.
The flysky receiver is a irangex unit. Swapping the receiver is not easy so I would recommend waiting.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nickburns
Don't go hungry, retail components surely boost the price. I think its admirable you are stringent of the components used.

Have you thought about reselling the components you use? This could generate additional revenue, as you could buy more bulk of the quality components you believe in, thus decreasing costs of the Light Speed BNF and increasing its revenue? The barrier is startup costs to purchase those components in bulk. You have the webshop running. The support side is largely the community on facebook, start a group, let the community join the "support team".

Some example cases would be: airarsenal.com, airbladeuav.com, flexrc.com, quattrovolante.com, tomoquads.miiduu.com.
I will definetely sell components separately in the future. I don't really have an active Facebook. I do however have an active instagram page.
Last edited by PocketQuads; Oct 27, 2017 at 04:42 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Help compiling a list of brushless quads under 40g kreppart Micro Multirotor Drones 12 Jun 22, 2017 03:54 PM
Contest Get a chance to win 2 Free pocket quads heo3480 Multirotor Drone Talk 0 Nov 25, 2015 04:44 PM
Contest Get 2 Free pocket quads heo3480 Beginner Multirotor Drones 0 Nov 25, 2015 11:44 AM
Discussion New: big Kyosho F-2 (Japanese Air Self Defense Force variant of F-16) with 79mm fan Smokescreen38 Foamy EDFs 19 Oct 29, 2008 12:24 AM