Need Help with Frsky DFT and Futaba 8UAF TX - RC Groups
Oct 26, 2017, 10:19 PM
Help!

Need Help with Frsky DFT and Futaba 8UAF TX

I have been out of the hobby for about 15 years. I have all my stuff from back in the day. I have about 6 airplanes and 1 chopper on 72 Mhz. I really like my Futaba FP-T8UAF 8 model memory computer radio. I have been reading that I can get a Frsky DFT Module that will convert my 72 Mhz radio to 2.4 Ghz. I have also read that I can get telemetry (D8RII Plus Receivers) and non-telemetry (V8FRII Receivers).

My questions are:

1. Do I need to buy the telemetry receivers? My Futaba TX doesn't have telemetry.
2. Is is a good system?

Thanks,
Pete
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2017, 12:04 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
1. The telemetry is quite useful. There's an external telemetry display available that plugs into the DFT module, and the module itself will beep if the RSSI (receiver signal strength) gets low enough, so it's generally worth it to get the D series receivers. You can of course use any of the V8-II or D series receivers (a total of 8 options from 4 to 8 channels) as well as the newer X6R and X8R receivers (those two X series also support the old D telemetry protocol).

2. The system is excellent and quite reliable. FrSky made its name selling reliable, inexpensive module+receiver systems. There is very good reason why the FrSky system now holds the third largest market share for radio systems and is gaining on Futaba. With your investment in a DFT and new receivers, you can later move to a newer module-based radio, or the Taranis and Horus radios from FrSky.
Oct 27, 2017, 08:38 AM
Thank You, I might pm you with more questions
Oct 27, 2017, 10:05 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Feel free to pm me.

I've got a DFT in a FG6/K and a Taranis, so I'm reasonably familiar with both options.