FlyFly DG-505 2.6m Electric Build Log - RC Groups
Oct 26, 2017, 06:56 PM
Discussion

FlyFly DG-505 2.6m Electric Build Log

Hello All...

Just rec'd my DG505 today... The thing was packaged like they shipped me the last egg on earth.. Outstanding..

I didn't take pictures of the packaging or unboxing... here is a video of the unboxing by a friend, Brian Phillips..

Generalhobby - Flyfly - DG-505 2.6m - Composite Glider - Unboxing (15 min 34 sec)

I will post pictures of my progress but this is my winter project so it will be going slow... So far, I'm not happy with the aileron and flap throws... I'm thinking I'll have to remove them and re-hinge... I opened up the servo pockets and took tons of bubbles out of the Monokote... I hate Monokote.. Just say'n...

Also... I have no idea how I'm going to connect the elevator to a servo.. the stab is to thin to put one in it.. (per the instructions) and the Fin is to thin also.. I'm thinking of running a Gold-n-Rod but am wondering if the turn from the fuse up the fin is to much.. Any ideas???

Thanks
Grant
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2017, 06:36 AM
Nice review!
This glider looks good. With something this small, I would avoid servos in the tail. I run plastic pushrods from the fuse to the tail in my 2.6 meter Discus. Slightly more play in the control surfaces compared to short pushrods but counterweighting two servos in the tail would have affected peformance; these small scale gliders have high wing loading to begin with...
https://www.rcplanet.com/rc-parts/r-...RoCQjoQAvD_BwE

The bubbles in the covering are annoying and will continue to appear as the model cools/heats next season. Have you considered vinyl wrap?
Oct 27, 2017, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete914
Nice review!
This glider looks good. With something this small, I would avoid servos in the tail. I run plastic pushrods from the fuse to the tail in my 2.6 meter Discus. Slightly more play in the control surfaces compared to short pushrods but counterweighting two servos in the tail would have affected peformance; these small scale gliders have high wing loading to begin with...
https://www.rcplanet.com/rc-parts/r-...RoCQjoQAvD_BwE

The bubbles in the covering are annoying and will continue to appear as the model cools/heats next season. Have you considered vinyl wrap?
Thanks Pete...
What size Sullivan did you use? I was thinking that was the way to go, just wondered about the bends going up the fin...

I'm not familiar with vinyl wrap... I'm considering stripping the monokote and putting Solartex on.. I like working with Solartex.. no bubbles..
Last edited by GrantL; Oct 27, 2017 at 02:44 PM.
Oct 27, 2017, 03:12 PM
Hey Guys..

I've decided to strip the MonoKote off.. Started with the Stab and Elevator. Using CA hinges...
Oct 27, 2017, 06:25 PM

Stripping the MonoKote

I've started stripping the MonoKote off the wings... Came off really easy with the use of a heat gun.. Found out why I wasn't getting full throws on the aileron and flaps... They use the top of the wing covering of MonoKote as the hinge material so the control surfaces could not extend all the way.. The new covering plus CA hinges will fix this issue...
Oct 27, 2017, 06:28 PM
400' ..... NOT
Hey Grant.
Glad your taking your time with the build. Here is what I'm doing with my tail. I found it is going to be a pia trying to get a cable to bend that tight of a turn without bending. So servo in the tail in goes. When mine arrived I was able to stand on the carton. One thing I did find is you will need to make a mount to hold the elevator on as the screws pass through it completely which is not a good thin me's thinks.
Last edited by Martin Y; Oct 29, 2017 at 10:01 AM.
Oct 27, 2017, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=Martin Y;38527435]Hey Grant.
Glad your taking your time with the build. Here is what I'm doing with my tail. I found it is going to be a pia trying to get a cable to bend that tight of a turn without bending. So servo in the tail in goes. When mine arrived I was able to stand on the carton. One thing I did find is you will need to make a to hold the elevator on as the screws pass through it completely which is not a good thin me's thinks.[/QUOT

Thanks for your input... I'm thinking I'll put a servo in the vert fin like you are... What do you think of this servo?

https://www.servocity.com/hs-125mg-slim-wing
Oct 27, 2017, 06:56 PM
400' ..... NOT
Like that. Here is what I'm using for all, nice and small but strong. https://www.emaxmodel.com/es3302.html
Latest blog entry: 1280mhz vs 1090mhz
Oct 27, 2017, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y
Like that. Here is what I'm using for all, nice and small but strong. https://www.emaxmodel.com/es3302.html
Oooo.. that's much better and a lot cheaper.. Good find.. Thanks
Nov 02, 2017, 06:11 PM

Aileron and Flap Servos

Hey Guys..

Spent time this afternoon working on aileron and flap servo placement as well as servo covers.

A lot of planning is required here as there isn't much room for these small servos. I had to open the pockets about 1/16" width and length. As you can see, I'm playing around on what covers I'll go with... Servo rods will be very short also..

Nov 02, 2017, 08:35 PM
400' ..... NOT
You got the servo's, cool. I've attached the servo's to the covers. Glued some hard wood under the holes at the edges then screwed the covers on. Make for replacing easy if needed.
Nov 02, 2017, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y
You got the servo's, cool. I've attached the servo's to the covers. Glued some hard wood under the holes at the edges then screwed the covers on. Make for replacing easy if needed.
That's my plan Martin... Thanks... You all moved in?
Nov 03, 2017, 10:06 PM
400' ..... NOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantL
That's my plan Martin... Thanks... You all moved in?
this weekend.
Nov 04, 2017, 06:47 PM

My Real Glider

This is a picture of my real glider... Took 3 years to build... in my cellar... Hope the DG505 flies as good...

Nov 04, 2017, 10:20 PM
aka : SteveBB..
I would strongly suggest you insert 1/16 ply sheer webs forward of the servo wells (about six inches long), before recovering and run reinforcing in the fuz to the tail.