Whats up with Sig and Tower Hobbies - RC Groups
Oct 26, 2017, 06:41 PM
Rough Landing
Discussion

Whats up with Sig and Tower Hobbies

Just on Tower Hobbies site and noticed that all but three Sig kits say order pending or on order. Something going on with Sig or Tower Hobbies?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2017, 07:25 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday101
Just on Tower Hobbies site and noticed that all but three Sig kits say order pending or on order. Something going on with Sig or Tower Hobbies?
ARFs are taking over and kits are not selling well. Especially the older die cut kits since there is a lot of up front investment to get the die made and the blade sharpened. All the kit makers are moving over to laser cut since they can pretty much cut to order. Sig bought Alien Aircraft from Tom Herr and I believe they cut the kit only when you order it.

Besides it does not make sense for Tower to sell Sig kits since Sig also has an online presence and do sell their own kits. Tower generally like to sell Great Planes exclusive lines like Great Planes, Top Flite, Carl Goldberg and such.
Oct 27, 2017, 08:04 AM
You can also buy SIG kits for less money than what Tower can sell them for. I just bought a wing kit from SIG that cost me $39 but other places online had them for $50
Oct 27, 2017, 09:13 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
ARFs are taking over and kits are not selling well. Especially the older die cut kits since there is a lot of up front investment to get the die made and the blade sharpened. All the kit makers are moving over to laser cut since they can pretty much cut to order. Sig bought Alien Aircraft from Tom Herr and I believe they cut the kit only when you order it.

Besides it does not make sense for Tower to sell Sig kits since Sig also has an online presence and do sell their own kits. Tower generally like to sell Great Planes exclusive lines like Great Planes, Top Flite, Carl Goldberg and such.
If what you're saying is true about "cutting to order",, then I can't blame Tower,, they want kits ready to ship from there fulfillment centers same or next day.

I recently got back into rc car racing,, and it's amazing how much product from current models and the top companies you'd expect to be available is continually out of stock for weeks if not months. In many cases it's easier to get parts for older discontinued models off ebay than current model off tower or amain
Latest blog entry: Charge station
Oct 27, 2017, 09:21 AM
AMA 537620
Sig is pretty good if you buy straight from them... I would not buy a Sig kit from Tower. Tower has great customer service, but they are owned by Hobbico and they are best at selling Hobbico products.
Oct 27, 2017, 09:29 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
I just happened to come across this the other day

How Its Made Wood Model Aircraft (4 min 58 sec)
Oct 28, 2017, 10:01 AM
Nice vid Scale! How can you not like to build your own!!
Oct 28, 2017, 11:59 AM
Rough Landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat
Sig is pretty good if you buy straight from them... I would not buy a Sig kit from Tower. Tower has great customer service, but they are owned by Hobbico and they are best at selling Hobbico products.
I order straight from Sig too. They are very easy to deal with and their service has been top notch. Their website is a bit dated, but it works good enough. I will continue to support Sig as much as I can.
Oct 28, 2017, 09:47 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday101
Have you noticed that just about all the Dumas kits are also on back order?
Oct 29, 2017, 09:08 AM
Mumbling in the corner.
Tower also no longer carries Williams Brothers products.
Oct 29, 2017, 12:49 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy2610
Maybe they are rearranging their business model.
Oct 29, 2017, 02:13 PM
Did you also notice Tower did not have their "Best Deals" sale during the summer ?
Oct 29, 2017, 03:04 PM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
Maybe they are rearranging their business model.
Looks like Williams Bros is now also selling direct, I don't remember them ever doing that,,
Oct 29, 2017, 11:02 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
Looks like Williams Bros is now also selling direct, I don't remember them ever doing that,,
I didn't know that. Good to know. At least now I know I can still get Williams Bros stuff.
Oct 30, 2017, 08:20 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
They've sold direct since Williams sold to the current owner. Tower didn't carry the full line, so I frequently ordered direct.