Nov 13, 2017, 04:51 AM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilk20
Yes perfectly.
Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilk20
Thanks for the advice on the tail wheel. I will do further research, I can do the post with music wire or some kind of a small tail wheel. Right now I'm leaning towards a wheel.
If you fly off pavement I would highly advise against just a wire. It'll be ground to a stub in a flight or two if you do any taxiing at all unless you make it replaceable i.e., more added weight and complexity and for what???? scale points? Put a small wheel and be done with it.

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2017, 10:30 AM
I would forget scale and use a tail wheel if you fly off pavement. Use a small wheel. Setting up a steerable tail wheel will be a challenge on the DR1. I saw one giant scale with a small wheel built into the end of the tail skid and the entire skid was steerable.
Nov 15, 2017, 09:31 PM
Thread OP
Found a tail wheel that should work

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXARBR&P=ML

And I received the flame red ultracote, don't like the color

Looks like I will be covering it in the red Chinacote after all
Nov 15, 2017, 09:58 PM
Rudder Only Lover
Then, you'd still be scale with tail wheel and NASCAR red, for example:

Note, I was able to post these using the "img" bbs html tag.
Last edited by GallopingGhostlr; Nov 15, 2017 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Include additional photos of I-LYNC.
Nov 15, 2017, 10:21 PM
Thread OP
Wow I like it!
Nov 15, 2017, 10:25 PM
Thread OP
Well I spoke too soon, just ordered the "true red" ultracote

Now gotta wait another week
Nov 16, 2017, 12:15 AM
Rudder Only Lover
Frankly, color is up to you, but the replicas go to show that you can choose just about any shade of red and you could still be scale. The Hobby King red would even work. The nice thing about WW1 aircraft is that you can use combinations of colors that are close, because they used so many different coloring schemes then and with the replicas.

Hobby Shack's The Real Thing, a make believe WW1 parasol had a saying, "Sort of genuine, real", etc. That is about as stand way off scale as one can get.

But with yours, I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work.
Nov 16, 2017, 09:04 AM
I think the color you want is the True Red. That is what I used on my Bipe Stick in my avatar picture.
Nov 16, 2017, 09:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Dave
I think the color you want is the True Red. That is what I used on my Bipe Stick in my avatar picture.
Ah yes! Exactly the color I want. Ordered it last night.
Nov 16, 2017, 09:19 AM
Thread OP
Also found some 90cc fuel tanks on Ebay, shipped from China. Those should fit nicely.
Nov 18, 2017, 06:13 PM
Thread OP
Decided I will use my new Enya IV .09 instead of the used III. Why not? I like the plane, so might as well put in a new engine

I got it screwed into it's mount, everything looks good so far. Next is bolting it up to the firewall which will be beefed up a little.

I found a 3D printed 1/7th scale WWI pilot at a swap meet today, very happy since I wasn't able to locate one in this scale anywhere.

Waiting on the true red ultracote, it will be here this week.
Nov 18, 2017, 11:02 PM
Looks like you have the single BB version of the 09 (red thrust plate), which is nice.

Pilot looks good, but your model is in a smaller scale than that, correct?
Nov 19, 2017, 12:04 AM
Rudder Only Lover
Original Dr1 wingspan was 123 inches (23.583 feet). HK model is 30 inches, which gives a scale of 10.7%, somewhere between 1/10th and 1/11th scale. Hard to say, the pilot still may look okay in the cockpit. Depends how tall pilot sits in the cockpit.

I suppose that if one critic really got critical, one could say it was modelled after a 3/4 sized replica.
Nov 19, 2017, 08:39 AM
Thread OP
The pilot might not be 1/7 scale, I just went by what the seller said. He is 2 1/4" wide and 2" tall. Looks just a little big in the Fokker but not by much.

Some pics
Nov 19, 2017, 10:38 AM
Rudder Only Lover
Actually, I'm off a little. 10.7% would be between 1/9th and 1/10th scale, so 1/7th isn't that far off. I think the pilot looks fine, no one would really know the difference.

Quick Reply