Nov 09, 2017, 01:14 PM
Rudder Only Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilk20
For less than $10 you get 5 METERS of Chinacote and for $17 one gets 2 METERS of ultracote.
$34 to cover a .40 sized aircraft? That's what I liked about the Chinakote, one doesn't have to spend a fortune to cover an aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Dave
Looks good. I like it. If anyone ever questions the scale, online I do and tell them it's cartoon scale. Doesn't have to be perfect to be a fun flying plane.
"Cartoon Scale" like (see attached)?

In the old days it was referred to as "Flying Scale" (i.e. changes made to make the model aircraft fly better but not deviate too far from scale). That included enlarging the tail surfaces, etc.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2017, 03:21 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the offer Dave but I have already purchased the Sig small mount which should fit perfectly.

I will have the red ultracote next week, so covering begins then.

Hopefully by Monday I'll have the engine mounted, aileron servos installed.

Have been a bit busy with work and family lately, but most of the hard work is behind me now. Looking forward to finishing my Fokker.

Paul.
Nov 10, 2017, 01:08 PM
GallopingGhostlr'
You just have to love a Mud Duck. I had one quite a few years back. Set it up on some type of new radio called a Spektrum 2.4. It was set up nice, 91 four stroke, receiver with the satellite and a 3000 MAh NIMH 5cell battery pack. It was painted to match a PT-19 right down to the stars on the wheel hubs.
Second flight it went into fail safe. Throttle at just above an idle and it wouldn't come down. Wind finally caught a wing and pushed it to knife edge. It piled in and I never rebuilt it . Lost a DR1 and a Smith Miniplane on that radio, too. They all went in over a 4 week period. Lost signal on all 3. Went back to 72 megahertz. Still flying 72. I use 2.4 only on park flyers.
Just nice to see a Mud Duck. Not many around any more.
Dave
Nov 10, 2017, 01:55 PM
Rudder Only Lover
Sorry to hear about your 2.4 GHz problems, I've heard similar, got two 72 MHz radios I still use, Detroit Dave. Got to agree. The fun fly planes have been the ones that are non-scale, easy to build.
Nov 11, 2017, 08:27 PM
Thread OP
Ultracote should be here on Monday, can't mount the engine until the 4-40 drill and tap set arrives later in the week.
Nov 11, 2017, 08:37 PM
Thread OP
My field has a concrete runway, I would like to mount a tail wheel. Do you guys think it is a must? Or would the little wooden post be ok? Worried how am I going to steer the little booger.

If I do the tail wheel, it has to be super light. Any ideas?
Nov 11, 2017, 08:43 PM
Rudder Only Lover
Quote:
Ultracote should be here on Monday, can't mount the engine until the 4-40 drill and tap set arrives later in the week.
Build looks really good.
Last edited by GallopingGhostlr; Nov 11, 2017 at 09:36 PM.
Nov 12, 2017, 01:31 AM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:

The little Turnigy digital servos are awesome, do not feel cheap at all.

Paul.
Did the servos fit the space you have available?

Mike
Nov 12, 2017, 02:16 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Quote:
My field has a concrete runway, I would like to mount a tail wheel. Do you guys think it is a must? Or would the little wooden post be ok? Worried how am I going to steer the little booger.

If I do the tail wheel, it has to be super light. Any ideas?
Do a post. A wheel won't look right. A wooden post worked fine for the real plane, it'll work for the model. If you fly off pavement, though, you might consider making it replaceable. It'll get ground down. A small brass tube as a socket that the dowel could go in to. Hold it in with a soft adhesive like silicone, so you can pull it out to replace it when you need to.
Nov 12, 2017, 03:56 AM
You can use a piece of music wire too, it will not grind down like wood does but on the otherhand it will make quite a lot of noise...
Nov 12, 2017, 04:43 PM
Most places that have a paved runway also have a grass strip next to the runway. Tail skids can be tough to control on a smooth runway. They ground loop super easy. Grass had drag that keeps the tail skid in the back so you can take off straight.
Nov 12, 2017, 05:38 PM
Rudder Only Lover
Quote:
My field has a concrete runway, I would like to mount a tail wheel. Do you guys think it is a must? Or would the little wooden post be ok? Worried how am I going to steer the little booger. If I do the tail wheel, it has to be super light. Any ideas?
If you are worried about scale appearances, do a search using the text, fokker triplane replica. About 1/3rd of the photos show a modern replica full size Fokker Dr1 with tail wheel. I would have posted a photo, but then nearly all of them are copyright marked and thus better if you viewed.

Also, if you look at the photos, a few are colored the modern NASCAR red instead of scarlet red, so if you are concerned about maintaining scale appearance, you could say you modeled it after an existing replica instead of the WW1 article.

Quote:
Most places that have a paved runway also have a grass strip next to the runway. Tail skids can be tough to control on a smooth runway. They ground loop super easy. Grass had drag that keeps the tail skid in the back so you can take off straight.
Back in 1918, there were very few if none paved runways, so a grass takeoff would mimic the real thing.
Nov 12, 2017, 06:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
Did the servos fit the space you have available?
Mike
Yes perfectly.
Nov 12, 2017, 06:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:

Unfortunately we only have a concrete runway surrounded by the ocean and weeds. Floyd Bennett Field, Brooklyn NY. Very lucky to have it actually, it's a full size runway, the turbine jet guys love it!
Nov 12, 2017, 06:33 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the advice on the tail wheel. I will do further research, I can do the post with music wire or some kind of a small tail wheel. Right now I'm leaning towards a wheel.

Quick Reply