Oct 28, 2017, 10:24 PM
Thread OP
Good info guys, thanks. The Sig mount looks interesting since it's split I know it should be easy to adopt.

The basic structure is done, I just finished the top wings and ailerons. Now comes the sanding.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2017, 10:30 PM
Rudder Only Lover
The Dave Brown motor mounts were purchased by Ohio Superstar. A chart of mount dimensions is here:

http://www.ohio-superstar.com/dave-b...d-motor-mounts

Click on the thumb nail of the chart. It comes up. Click it again and a larger readable image appears.

The Sig mount will work. I have their Wonder (a gift from a modeler getting out of the hobby). I mounted my Enya .15-III TV in it, but I can tell you that the Enya .09 would fit without problems using the Sig mount. I'd have to dig it out, but recall the Sig plan showed a Medallion .09 mounted, which crankcase is even narrower.
Oct 30, 2017, 06:45 PM
Thread OP
Did a little work over the weekend. Installed the elevator and rudder servos. I had some 9g metal gear ones that I utilized. For the ailerons I'll buy the small Turnigy digital metal gear ones.

So I have to order servos, monokote, fuel tank, and engine mount.
Oct 30, 2017, 06:49 PM
Thread OP
Sanded one upper wing side with aileron.

Soldered landing gear.
Oct 30, 2017, 06:54 PM
Thread OP
I like using ultracote for covering, but since I am ordering from hobbyking, I thought I'll give their covering a shot. It received good reviews, and it's a lot cheaper too.

Has anyone here ever covered with their stuff?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/covering...-5mtr-102.html
Oct 31, 2017, 01:54 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilk20
I like using ultracote for covering, but since I am ordering from hobbyking, I thought I'll give their covering a shot. It received good reviews, and it's a lot cheaper too.

Has anyone here ever covered with their stuff?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/covering...-5mtr-102.html
Yes... excellent stuff. Its referred to as ChinaKote and its now my favorite covering. I preferred to by it from Hobby Partz but they don't seem to keep it in stock like they used to so that means dealing with Hobby King.

Mike
Oct 31, 2017, 04:59 PM
Rudder Only Lover
Several years ago I used Hobby King's "Chinakote" to repair a crash damaged Great Planes Big Stick 60.

Color was a brighter red than the OEM Monokote, I used what I had on hand, but it has remained taut whereas the Monokote had to be reshrunk periodically wrinkles come back. I like it, it covers better than Monokote and covers compound corners easier. A very minor caveat is the heat adhesive glue used is a different color. In places where it shows through so seams can be seen, can be cleaned off with a decent cleaner.
Oct 31, 2017, 07:18 PM
Thread OP
Super! Ordering tonight from Hobbyking
Oct 31, 2017, 07:47 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr

A very minor caveat is the heat adhesive glue used is a different color. In places where it shows through so seams can be seen, can be cleaned off with a decent cleaner.
Nice looking plane Ghost! Yeah I agree. I keep a bottle of Acetone handy but I've used Denatured Alcohol too. One thing I noticed is that it is much easier to clean off right after covering. I once left it until the next day and could never quite get it all off although the Acetone worked better than the D Alcohol. Its just I hate the smell so my go to is D Alcohol right after I'm done with a piece.

Mike
Nov 02, 2017, 02:07 PM
Thread OP
I have ordered all necessary parts, they should be here next week. Plane is ready for covering, engine mounting, and aileron servo placement.

Paul.
Nov 07, 2017, 09:09 AM
Thread OP
All parts are scheduled for delivery today.

The bottom and mid wings align perfectly, upper wing alignment will need some work

Paul.
Nov 08, 2017, 09:02 PM
Thread OP
Received the package with "Chinacote" and servos. Before going to work I did a quick covering on the vertical stabilizer, this Chinacote is easy to work with, no issues. Unfortunately, I do not like the red color it is just too bright and a little pinkish to my eyes. So I ordered one roll of ultracote fire red instead.

The little Turnigy digital servos are awesome, do not feel cheap at all.

Paul.
Nov 08, 2017, 10:28 PM
Rudder Only Lover
Glad to hear you found the HK Chinakote is easy to work with, as I also found out.

The red is more of a NASCAR red, I found that out when I repair covered my Big Stick 60. Color I should have gotten was Carmine, which is more of a scarlet red that the Fokker is done in. Unfortunately, color is out of stock in the HK USA warehouses.

Another color I would like them to stock is Coffee, which is a beige, good for WW1 Allied aircraft. However, seems the HK USA warehouses have never stocked that color, don't know why.
Nov 09, 2017, 08:30 AM
Thread OP
Yeah when I examined your photo of the big stick the front fuselage color worried me a bit, the wings are the red tone I'm looking for. No big deal though, Chinacote is inexpensive, I can always cover another plane with the red I already have. Hopefully the ultracote red will be a good match.

For less than $10 you get 5 METERS of Chinacote and for $17 one gets 2 METERS of ultracote.
Nov 09, 2017, 12:18 PM
Looks good. I like it. If anyone ever questions the scale, just do like I do and tell them it's cartoon scale. Doesn't have to be perfect to be a fun flying plane.
Did you get your engine mount? If not, I probably have something that will fit.
I hsve an old Hayes BL 09 and I have a very small adjustable mount that i think was for the Enya .09 i used to have. Yours for the asking.
Triplanes are a hoot to fly. A real pain in ground handling though. They fly
different from every other plane. Not in a bad way, just different. I have 3 and I do like them a lot. You will have fun with yours.
Looking forward to seeing it finished.
Dave
Last edited by Detroit Dave; Nov 10, 2017 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply