This is the scheme I'm planning...
Jan 17, 2020, 11:18 AM
casual park flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by grump010
This is the scheme I'm planning...
I love it!
Jan 17, 2020, 05:33 PM
As a note on hinging the rudder, I first used CA hinges, but the rudder was way too wobbly/twisty and would never work. I cut the CA hinges and used two pinned hinges for rotational stability, and things are much better.

The other thing on the wing supports, I seem to recall having to "adjust" the center mounts to fit correctly, it seem the top angle didn't mate up with the top wing well.
Jan 19, 2020, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14
As a note on hinging the rudder, I first used CA hinges, but the rudder was way too wobbly/twisty and would never work. I cut the CA hinges and used two pinned hinges for rotational stability, and things are much better.

The other thing on the wing supports, I seem to recall having to "adjust" the center mounts to fit correctly, it seem the top angle didn't mate up with the top wing well.
I love your design scheme. The rudder gave me some fits too. I finally used a super thin diamond blade on my dremel and two small pinned hinges. They needed trimmed a bit. Worked so well there and elevator may put on ailerons.

The wings for me all lined up with the outer braces in and seated. Then just vise gripped the angles on center mounts. Hopefully after covering it all goes back together. Noticed your covering on base of center braces while installed and will try that.
Jan 19, 2020, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the positive responses. So far I've hinged all control surfaces with ca hinges, nothing is cast in stone though and the slots should accommodate pinned slot hinges as well if I decide to change after covering is complete. I looked at the robart style pin hinges but I wasn't sure there was enough wood to reliably accommodate that style of hinge. I learned along time ago that any pockets or slots are a whole lot easier to to get covering into if I did them first and the main covering will stick better when it meets the pocket covering. The upper wing struts need a little bit more work and adjustment before I cover the that wing and the battery box behind the firewall needs to be finalized and built. All in all it's been an OK build other than a serious rookie mistake building 2 ailerons for the right side it should be ready for the maiden in the spring, YAY
Jan 21, 2020, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Here are the pictures I said I would post,enjoy:
Hey, I was studying your pics and noticed a couple pieces missing. On the top wing small rectangles of ply to reinforce strut screws. Numbers 22-1 and 21-1 I think. Or am I out of line and you are doing later? I'm a newbie. My experience is with kits like my Boothbay Lobster boat. It has a manual that says what glue to use where.
Blowing up pics has got rid of "extra" parts like two cf tubes for control wire and how to mount motor for example. Still have 3 short pieces of carbon fiber wire.
Jan 21, 2020, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14

Is 5 min epoxy the way to mount pinned hinges in this thin stuff? I know to oil and grease hinge pivot.
Jan 21, 2020, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggmw66e
Hey, I was studying your pics and noticed a couple pieces missing. On the top wing small rectangles of ply to reinforce strut screws. Numbers 22-1 and 21-1 I think. Or am I out of line and you are doing later? I'm a newbie. My experience is with kits like my Boothbay Lobster boat. It has a manual that says what glue to use where.
Blowing up pics has got rid of "extra" parts like two cf tubes for control wire and how to mount motor for example. Still have 3 short pieces of carbon fiber wire.
Wing has not been completed, it still needs a few parts and setup of servos and control surfaces / hinges.
Jan 22, 2020, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Wing has not been completed, it still needs a few parts and setup of servos and control surfaces / hinges.
Sorry. i'm off.
Feb 13, 2020, 07:22 AM
casual park flyer
Is this the general build thread for this model? Planning on using 1100kv aerodrive.

Slow Scale Flyer
Feb 13, 2020, 08:26 PM
Rudder Only Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre
Is this the general build thread for this model? Planning on using 1100kv aerodrive. Slow Scale Flyer
You'd have to ask the OP as he originated the thread. He started his build with the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilk20
This will be my first "small" build. It's a Fokker DR1 770 mm or 30 inch or so wingspan. It is meant to be electric but I will convert it to glow. Hopefully an Enya 09 will be a good fit. I'm pretty new at this so will have some questions, hopefully you guys will help me out . The kit arrived from hobbyking in less than a week, everything looked good, well packaged no damage. Parts are all laser cut, balsa is of fine quality. The plywood is a little heavy. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/balsa-fokker-dr1.html Paul.
It was posted in: > Aircraft - General > Balsa Builders > Build Log 770mm Fokker DR1 build

His was an electric to nitro engine conversion. However, others have been posting their electric builds. He could eliminate anyone's post if he wanted, but the thread is already on its 26th page. If there were any deleted posts, most likely were spammers. I'd say go for it. I've been enjoying reading about others experiences herein and there have been a lot of good comments regarding this kit.
Feb 13, 2020, 10:22 PM
Might be good to start a new thread. Once they get long like this it's hard to follow someone's build.
Feb 13, 2020, 11:21 PM
casual park flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Might be good to start a new thread. Once they get long like this it's hard to follow someone's build.
Just thought there might be an original thread for when it first came out. Unboxing, etc.

airplanes only
Feb 14, 2020, 08:04 AM
Regexistentialist

Show this thread's photo attachments

This thread has lots of great build photos. Just use the thread tools -> show attachments and select images. Tons of great build shots.

I bought two of these DR-1 kits a few months ago, but I have a pile of helis to be fixed first. And several new foamie planks to assemble and fly as well. (1st world problems! Oh, the humanity!)

Quick Reply