770mm Fokker DR1 build - RC Groups
Oct 26, 2017, 02:33 PM
Discussion

770mm Fokker DR1 build

This will be my first "small" build. It's a Fokker DR1 770 mm or 30 inch or so wingspan. It is meant to be electric but I will convert it to glow. Hopefully an Enya 09 will be a good fit. I'm pretty new at this so will have some questions, hopefully you guys will help me out .

The kit arrived from hobbyking in less than a week, everything looked good, well packaged no damage. Parts are all laser cut, balsa is of fine quality. The plywood is a little heavy.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/balsa-fokker-dr1.html

Paul.
Last edited by pwilk20; Oct 26, 2017 at 02:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2017, 09:14 PM
Started with the landing gear wing, everything went together well, no issues.
Oct 26, 2017, 09:29 PM
Next came the fuselage, there is no paper plan provided so I had to see the 3D drawings on my tablet. Again, all parts fit well, hardest part was to figure out the proper build sequence.
Oct 26, 2017, 09:32 PM
The tail was the easiest so far. Everything just aligned and clicked in position
Oct 26, 2017, 09:48 PM
This thing calls for 5g servos, any recommendations? I will use 9g in the fuselage but the ailerons call for something smaller.

These seem ok
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hxt500-m...8sec-6-2g.html

I have used their 9g ones with good success so these seem like a good fit.
Oct 26, 2017, 10:03 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Really looking good pwilk!

As your going glow I would try to find something sturdy, i.e., metal gears and digital for your servos. I hate to say it but Hobby King maybe your only choice. Like these maybe - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigyt...___store=en_us

Have you planed your glow install yet. Looks like you'll need to make a more solid firewall at least.

Mike
Oct 26, 2017, 10:06 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Really nice work, looks like it will build into a good, solid lightweight framework. Regarding servos, a friend bought a bunch of 9g ones off the Bay. They all were defective, wouldn't return to same center twice, etc. Buying from HK is probably okay, as they have a team that oversees what they sell. From experience I've found auction buying iffy, if it is a known reputable dealer fine, but some use it as an outlet for dumping defective merchandise.
Oct 26, 2017, 10:14 PM
I've been flying glow powered airplanes for more than 25 years and I have never used a digital servo and rarely metal gears. For micro servos metal gears might be a good idea. But digital? Why?

JIm
Oct 26, 2017, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
Really looking good pwilk!

As your going glow I would try to find something sturdy, i.e., metal gears and digital for your servos. I hate to say it but Hobby King maybe your only choice. Like these maybe - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigyt...___store=en_us

Have you planed your glow install yet. Looks like you'll need to make a more solid firewall at least.

Mike
I will consider those servos Mike, and yes I am reinforcing the model here and there as I build. So far it's surprisingly strong, I'm planning on adding 1/8 ply firewall when all done.

Paul.
Oct 26, 2017, 10:49 PM
Lower wing done. Again, no issues
Oct 26, 2017, 11:48 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard bait
I've been flying glow powered airplanes for more than 25 years and I have never used a digital servo and rarely metal gears. For micro servos metal gears might be a good idea. But digital? Why?

JIm
For a servo that small the torque will be very low. In electrics where there is little vibration that may be okay but its well known that vibration imparted into the airframe from IC engines absorbs at least 1/4 of the available torque to overcome it. Chip Hyde's father Meryl, figured this out when he invented the soft mounts for pattern ships. They used to fly at the club I was at in my youth and Meryl was always playing with innovative stuff back then. I still have an original .40 size Meryl Hyde soft mount that he passed out to all of us in the club from his first batch of production mounts. Digital servos make full torque and holding power to the servo at all times. Analog does not. When your playing with torque margins this small, coupled with the fact that these small servos do not have rubber mounting grommets, you need all you can get.

Mike
Oct 27, 2017, 01:04 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Looks great!
Oct 27, 2017, 12:02 PM
Rubber mounting grommets are a must, yes, but I've flown a lot of small glow-engined airplanes with small analogue servos and not had any trouble. Are digital servos actually more resistant to vibration than analogue servos? If that has been shown to be true, I'd switch, but if it's just a theory, then I'll stick with the lower cost and battery drain of analogues.
Oct 27, 2017, 01:19 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Futaba has a one page white paper that gives a good explanation on the difference.

http://www.futabarc.com/servos/digitalservos.pdf
Oct 27, 2017, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard bait
I'll stick with the lower cost and battery drain of analogues.
Good plan IMO
Unless doing some "competition' stuff then the lower battery drain aspect alone is important enough to keep hold of.
Lotsa stuff is 'new and improved' with marketing reasons as the main driver.
I'm loving the 'new' S Buss tech. Complexity for the sake of it... albeit claiming less. One can't make this stuff up.
Small example; Jaguar (cars) had a decades long reputation for electrical problems. Shorts , melted harnesses Fun! stuff.
Years ago some twit decided Multiplex (S Buss basically) was THE solution.
One wire for multiple control functions. Made some odd sense, possibly Saved some copper as well, I suppose.
BUT the components Still ! managed to overpower and short out the circuits .. just like they always had previously.
Wasn't the wirings that are the problem, just poorly designed components, actuators.
Ain't 'progress' grand ?