Feb 14, 2019, 01:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac
.... like "Dammit, I'm never going to try THAT again"

-= Dave
Dammit, I am never going to build three Rotors at once again!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2019, 01:55 PM
Kenneth, In my opinion You took on a big scratch build with one Rotor but you added more Paine and suffering by doing three at once with limited time and space to work on this project. I tip my hat to you for going for it and you built the structures very nicely. If I were you after all the parts were made and it was time to finish I would have completed ONE so you could have learned the process and got dialed in before the other two planes . I know you wanted to do them all together to try to make a Production out of them but that can be done when you have the experience with the procedures and have the confidence with no experimentation. All in all I think you did a great job on construction and you should be proud and they will fly great. Fit and finish is a whole different world than construction but you got the 101 of finish behind you!
Cheers and enjoy and I want to hear back once you get a chance to get some maidens on these Rotors.
Enjoy
Feb 15, 2019, 04:24 PM
Thread OP
Joe,

Thank you so much for your kind words. They are most flattering and motivating. Your RC Groups blog will always be an invaluable reference source for me and many others. In future I will either vacuum bag for a natural carbon finish or with primer on the Mylars if painting like you do.

In the beginning my approach did deliver considerable benefits for the time invested in making templates, jigs, cutting parts, etc. but now it is very tedious because as you say there is no time saving in the finishing process.

With hindsight I totally agree: make multiple kits but finish one for experience and the next when the first one goes in.

You will certainly get to witness some flying action in due course. I find it very frustrating that there is so little footage of Rotors and Orcas (my other favourite and a future project) on the Web, so I am committed to posting some 4K footage of my initial flights. I have a competent pilot lined up so that I can operate the camera.

Here is to that time!

Kenneth
Jun 25, 2019, 08:12 AM
Thread OP

Round Two

It has been a long time but through circumstance rather than choice. When I was short of work the paint shop was busy so I have had to wait to spray a second coat of primer. It has been warm enough to spray in my back yard but I didnít want to mix primers so I chose to wait until my and the spray shopís availability coincided. Friday was that day.

I set up all my jigs as per the photos in post #263 only to be told that the filler primer I originally used had run out so that I would have to use two pack white epoxy primer. Murphyís Law. A cup was mixed up for me and I got one coat on before it ran out, two coats on the canopies as can be seen in the photo. I had to wait until Monday for a delivery of new material.

All good things come to those who wait so yesterday I managed to achieve what I have been waiting for, except that what got delivered was more of the grey high build primer I used first time round as you can see in the photo, so we have white epoxy covered by grey high build to sand off.

Bad News
  • I was surprised to find pinholes still. No big deal but I was not expecting any.
  • The pinholes were revealed by the coat of white epoxy primer but most pinholes were then covered by the grey high build primer. Did the grey primer fill the pin holes or just bridge them for them to come back when I sand the grey primer off? Weíll see.

Good News
  • Go back to the photos in posts #296 to #298. None of that remedial work done is visible through the primer. All surfaces are perfect from every angle except for an inconsequential patch under a wing panel.
  • Remember the splooge reconstructed stab in posts #281 and #284? Well, I cannot identify it by sight, so job well done. I also had to rebuild some dissolved stab parts on the tips with splooge. These are now also invisible.
  • I am one step closer to completion.
Jun 25, 2019, 08:43 AM
Cloudrider
Shame they'll ever have to land really Kenneth................They're looking pretty damned perfect!

Paul.
Jun 25, 2019, 08:49 AM
Keep one as a “hanger queen “. Fly the other two until they die.
Tom f.
Jun 25, 2019, 09:44 AM
Thread OP
Paul,

Thanks for your kind words.

Tom,

I will be taking Joemach1's advice above and finish just one. I will select one of the three airframes and take it to completion and maiden. The other two airframes will go into the attic as they are until a few more boxes are ticked off my endless list of projects. Remember that I built the fuselages in February 2013 (!) so it is about time I got to fly one.

Cheers guys!

K
Last edited by Kenneth Paine; Jun 25, 2019 at 11:00 AM.
Jun 25, 2019, 05:31 PM
f5b-uk
This thread was started in 2017. Are you saying that you'd already started building 4 years prior to this?
Jun 26, 2019, 02:06 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Seale
This thread was started in 2017. Are you saying that you'd already started building 4 years prior to this?
Mike,

You are correct. The reasons for this were two:
  • I still did not have a sensible vacuum bagging setup. I wanted something more than my dusty 40 year old fridge compressor.
  • In a short space of time during the summer of 2013 I pranged my only two airworthy models: a Graupner Sukhoi 40 and an own design 60" racing sloper.

As a result of this I shelved the Rotor fuselages to replenish my fleet. Between that time and now I have:
During October 2017 I got the chance to build a sensible vacuum setup as shown in post #10 of this thread and was left with no excuses for not continuing with the Rotors.

Yes, I do tend to make a meal out of things...

K
Jul 02, 2019, 11:48 AM
Thread OP

Round Three

Having the components in grey again made it much easier to spot the remaining pinholes and divots. I chose the airframe to complete, applied red putty where necessary (not shown) and then sanded most of the primer off as seen in the first two photos. The surfaces are much better than they look; nearly perfect actually.

My yard is very small so the photos are with wide angle from about six feet away which is why my wooden frame looks so bent. Photos three, four and five show the components with fresh primer on. No pinholes! Yay!

I put a fair amount of primer on. Now I have to sand the primer off again with fine grit until the substrate starts ghosting through. Then it is paint time!
Jul 02, 2019, 01:15 PM
Nice painting frame. Great finishing work too. Great to spray paint with the part in a fixture. Hope you get a wind free, bug free day to spray paint.
Tom f.
Jul 02, 2019, 01:17 PM
Much easier to focus on one airplane and you feel like your makin progress much quicker
Cheers
Jul 02, 2019, 01:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFlyer
Nice painting frame. Great finishing work too. Great to spray paint with the part in a fixture. Hope you get a wind free, bug free day to spray paint.
Tom f.
Thanks Tom. Wind is a real problem so I have to play the waiting game for a dry calm day and no contract work. Virtually impossible in the U.K.

Heat is also an issue so I think for painting I may wait until the evening, purely because if I fire up my compressor at dawn my neighbours will send the police round .
Jul 02, 2019, 01:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemach1
Much easier to focus on one airplane and you feel like your makin progress much quicker
Cheers
Joe, yours was a great idea, thanks. Had you not chimed in with it I probably would have attempted to finish all three airframes in parallel probably missing any summer maiden in the process.

Quick Reply