Rotor Pitcheron Scratch Build UK - Page 2 - RC Groups
Oct 26, 2017, 10:29 AM
Thanks Joe, this is the kind of steer I was looking for. I regularly go to your blog page for reference.

I was trying to avoid exotic materials but I can buy 5.2 oz (175g) satin Kevlar for a reasonable cost. I might as well do things properly.

I plan to have the top and bottom laminates meet in front of the leading edge like you do, so I shouldn't have to worry about sanding into the Kevlar and getting fuzz.

Kenneth
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2017, 10:38 AM
On the Go Fly List
Nice work. Smart to make three at once. Less work than starting from scratch three times.

Ada.
Latest blog entry: New Arrival.
Oct 26, 2017, 10:54 AM
Thanks Adam.

Yes, less work and specially for me because my workshop is a 2 x 2 metre section of my basement and I need to pull things out to gain access to it and put things back afterwards, so every build session has a 20-30 minute setup and put away overhead attached. It is so frustrating to have to plan building sessions around work and family and not be able to steal 5 minutes here and there.
Oct 26, 2017, 09:34 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Oh man, i LOVE build threads, and am dying for a wingeron-type plane myself...if only i had time/knowledge to scratch build one.
Oct 26, 2017, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader
Oh man, i LOVE build threads, and am dying for a wingeron-type plane myself...if only i had time/knowledge to scratch build one.
GO FOR IT!!

We'll talk you through it!
Oct 26, 2017, 10:36 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
If only there were no time conflicts originating from divorce, with a now-first-grader son...i'd finish a plane in mere days!

But i digress from the OP's killer start to a build thread.......my apologies!
Oct 27, 2017, 03:48 AM
Cityevader,

Judging by your blog page and attachments, knowledge is not an issue. Plus there is always a first time for everything; this will be my first attempt at composite wings using Mylars and I have absolute confidence given the vast amount of experience on these forums. Ward, Joe and many others have posted huge amounts of material.

I know how you feel though, my workshop was out of bounds for years due to young children and home renovations.

Here is to you finding the time.

Kenneth
Oct 27, 2017, 05:43 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Lovely work Ken, would like to come over and learn from the bagging process at some point - it's definitely something I want to be able to do too.
Oct 27, 2017, 06:06 AM
Thank you awmeade.

Let me get the first successful set of flying surfaces done and you are welcome to participate in the preparation of the second or third set.

As an aside, you appear to be local to me (25km) but I can't figure out what S-u-A stands for.

Kenneth
Oct 27, 2017, 06:29 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Apologies - it's Stratford upon Avon.

Andy
Oct 27, 2017, 07:14 AM
I should have known.

K
Oct 27, 2017, 10:40 PM
Sky Surfers
Thanks for the great documentation.
Pete in Idaho
Nov 19, 2017, 03:41 PM

Slow Progress

Well, committing to this build thread has summoned Murphy’s Law in that I immediately got swamped with work and family duties so progress has been slow. However, bit by bit I have:
  • Made the foam cutting templates (Wing HD 45; Stab NACA 0007; Fin NACA 0007 root, NACA 0011 tip)
  • Sanded all the fuzz off the foam blanks
  • Made a mini bow to cut the fin and stab with – less cumbersome than my 28” Feathercut for small cores.
  • Calculated the pivot points for cutting the tail feathers and printed templates.
I was about to start cutting cores today but decided I didn’t have enough time. Better be patient than rush.
Jan 07, 2018, 12:14 PM

The Frustration!

What with travelling, work and family I have been kept away from the workshop and when I finally get it I do nothing right.

This weekend was a comedy of errors. I set out to cut all my tail surfaces but fluffed 66% of my blanks. An exercise in congenital stupidity. In the end I only succeeded with in getting two good right hand stabs and two fins. Everything else was ruined due to one or more of the following:
  • Not pressing the wire down at the leading edge onto the template for the bottom surface.
  • Overzealous lifting of the wire at the leading edge of the top surface template.
  • Crocodile clips snagging on the heads of the T-pins holding the templates onto the blanks.
  • Wire tripping on a crooked template holding T-pin pushed into the core.
  • Breaking wind too violently.

At least I did not repeat my signature mistakes this time:
  • Lower template on one end and upper template on the other.
  • Attaching the root cable lead to the tip and vice versa.

Honestly!

When I got things right the mini-bow and pivot system worked brilliantly. I got the idea from Sled Driver’s Monkeytumble.com website.
Jan 21, 2018, 11:07 AM

More Set Backs

When I was cutting my tail surfaces I had noticed some mild ridging on the cores towards the tips. I attributed this to my 1/32” plywood templates not being smooth enough, so I applied some aluminium tape onto the templates in the hope that this would help the wire better glide over the templates. This did improve things for the tail surfaces but had an unexpected consequence for the wing panels.

I thought my first wing core was going to be a good one as the wire exited the blank’s trailing edge for the second time but I was in for a surprise. The aluminium tape sucked so much heat out of the wire that at the ends of the core that the wire ripped through the foam where it was in contact with the templates while in the centre it over-burned the core with very bad ridging because the it was hotter and travelling too slowly due to the drag and tearing at the ends of the core.
Last edited by Kenneth Paine; Jan 21, 2018 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply