Found me a Lanier Pro-Cub ! - RC Groups
Oct 25, 2017, 10:48 PM
Airfield Hermit
Discussion

Found me a Lanier Pro-Cub !

Had to go to Orlando today and figured that if I HAD to endure the traffic, I should at least make the trip worthwhile and stop at Graves R/C. Cool place with lots of stuff for plane guys.

While squirrelling through stacks of boxes with lots of dust, we found a boxed-up Lanier Pro-Cub kit. For those unfamiliar with the Pro-Cub, it's a profile Cub with a LOT of chord. I thought about getting a cub, but wanted something that wasn't so tippy but would still be fun to fly and fly slow. For some reason, I like slow... This should fill that spot right nicely.

So, my dad is the builder of the bunch, and since it's getting cooler down here, he said he would knock off all the cobwebs and build it. I've got an OS 40 LA that I'm thinking of putting in it. I know, a lot of guys will look down at the lowly LA engine and say I should get something else. While I can enjoy an over-powered plane as much as the next guy, my plan is to keep this one light, and the LA definitely does that.

That said, has anyone flown or owned one of these? There seemed to be a lot of interest on them back in the day, but not too much online now. My kit had a pricing sheet in it for 1997.

I'd like to have something that will do rolls, loops and perhaps harriers, but I'm not needing to hang it on the prop. The lighter I keep it, the more it'll do. But, again, it fills that Cub void without being "just a Cub". Here's a pic of what it looks like. While these aren't my photos, it'll give you an idea of what we're talking about.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2017, 08:28 AM
Oh...that's gonna leave a mark
Yep, can't say enough good things about Graves rc!
Kurt
Oct 26, 2017, 08:03 PM
Airfield Hermit
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kurt
Yep, can't say enough good things about Graves rc!
Kurt
That's for sure Kurt! Mark Graves came over and asked if I needed any help with anything. I simply explained to him that I had some engines without a home, and that I'm kinda quirky and out of the norm. I told him the range of engines that I had and the search was on. I actually felt bad, the amount of time and effort that he put forth to scour through all of the kits, arfs and used planes that they have hanging from the ceiling. He brushed off some severe dust from a few boxes and I was really impressed at the extent of his knowledge. Not just stuff like, "Yeah, I do this all the time!" but more that he knew the histories and characteristics of many of the planes that we looked at. A couple of times, he said, "Wow! I didn't even know we had one of these!" It was very cool seeing him get excited about them. He even took one box and opened it to check it out. The newspapers used to wrap the plane was from 1997 !!!

When we got to the Pro Cub, it was definitely quirky enough to suit my needs. LOL. Once I paid for the plane, I went back and thanked Mark for all his assistance. While Graves R/C isn't terribly far for me, I just wish I didn't have to deal with Orlando traffic! Otherwise, the place is awesome!

On another note, I did make a little progress today. Dad is going to assemble the airframe for me, as I tend to glue my fingers together, or to the plane, my phone or the workbench. The big hang up right now was trying to find a suitable building board. Have you tried to purchase just ONE ceiling tile lately? EVERYONE seems to want to sell a case of em! I found a couple today and we'll begin the build process soon!
Nov 03, 2017, 08:10 PM
Airfield Hermit
Just an update....

As is the norm with dad, I got him the building boards one day, and he's got an assembled airframe the next! I keep picking on him that he pours glue in the box and an airframe falls out!

anyways, he did say that the kit isn't necessarily for a beginner. Not that it's terribly hard, but they have no illustrations or photos to help understand what they are talking about. He's an old scratch builder, and he said he had to go through the plans and decode exactly what they meant in spots. Also, when the box says "no hardware" they mean it! You get the landing gear, and that's it.

He is going to do some sanding and then I'll start covering it.

We've decided to use an OS FS-40 (4-stroke) that I've had laying around for a while. Thought about using the 40 LA, but they weigh the same and I like the sound of the four strokers. Might not be too long and we'll be giving it its maiden flight!
Nov 15, 2017, 02:07 PM
Airfield Hermit
Well, dad did it! Amazes me how he can zing out an airframe in a couple of days. Here's what it looks like currently.