FPV Slope Soaring Air to Air Video - Page 3 - RC Groups
Oct 27, 2017, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
Just get those gimbals patented already, and throw them in a 9 or 12 channel (or 18, whatever!) and I'll be set
They are patented.

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2017, 07:07 PM
Miguel didn't own a Spektrum transmitter when he got here, either.

I had a Hitec Eclipse 7 with a DM8 module in it that I used for the first few months, then I got an original DX7 handed to me by the head of Spektrum and was told to "use it."

Once the DX8 prototypes started coming in, it was just a natural for me to start using it - I used it all day at work, may as well use it at home too! There's an awful lot of "we can do better than that" in these radios vs. where we started from.

Andy
Oct 28, 2017, 11:01 AM
fly by night
when you spektrum guys going to get proper rssi value telemetry on your radio and receivers??? With Taranis this is super helpful for finding a downed model, not to mention knowing your signal quality.

and have you seen the latest cnc'd hall effect gimbals from frsky? almost as nice as jeti
Oct 28, 2017, 11:04 AM
The proper signal strength value is the dBm of the received signal, and that is available using the SPM4649T or any of the T-series receivers. We display the signal strength as dBm (the appropriate units), as % of range (also useful) and as RSSI (meaningless, imho).

Andy
Oct 28, 2017, 11:07 AM
fly by night
and can that value be read out in voice when prompted, so folks wearing goggles can hear it (like frsky)?
should list rssi on the spec sheet page for that receiver (doesn't seem to be listed as a feature):
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...rodID=SPM4649T

frsky also does it as dB or whatever value you want via formula

-

I will say since this is a soaring thread - Frsky vario units suck. least last time I used them. I'd go to a different radio like SPektrum if I was serious about thermalling
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Oct 28, 2017 at 11:16 AM.
Oct 28, 2017, 11:16 AM
Yes, it can be spoken as well.

There's lots of stuff that isn't on a spec sheet. There are lots of new features in the radios that isn't in the manuals, too. That's just life.

Sensitivity is -90dBm or -92dBm, I forget which, and in the USA that translates out to 2.5 miles. I know that's realistic because Aaronredbaron has flown that far away FPV with his stock DX9 and receivers.

Andy
Oct 28, 2017, 11:36 AM
Piscine Promulgator
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
They are patented.

Seriously, I hope they make their way into some future radios with even more channels as well, I'm a huge fan of the feature. Did the dev team have any idea that they'd find fans outside of the quad world? I can only imagine they did.
Latest blog entry: Of Fish, France, FPV, and Fun!
Oct 28, 2017, 11:42 AM
We wouldn't have wasted tens of thousands of dollars on a patent that would only benefit a niche market.

Andy
Oct 28, 2017, 11:52 AM
Piscine Promulgator
My own Horizon Hobby story started with a Hangar-9 Piper Cub ARF back in 2006 or thereabouts. I went ahead and picked up a DX7 v1 to go with it, just to get some exposure to the then-new 2.4ghz frequency and the radios that went with it.

That DX7 eventually lead to me trying a few HH BNF planes, and I just kept having good experiences and very few disappointments. Fast forward 10+ years and the story remains the same.

Today, from that small seed, I've completely switched over all my aircraft to Spektrum radios, and I've been quite happy using them in slope gliders, powered fixed wing and multirotor aircraft. Even have an old DX3 for cars that I picked up secondhand.

Like I wrote previously, I used to think I wanted and needed a radio that had a dozen or more channels and could do "anything," and hence for years lugged a giant Multiplex Profi 4000 "pizza box" up and down the local slopes.

It turned out that my own interests in the hobby rarely require more than 4 channels to accomplish, and only occasionally six or more, and for the most part just needed relatively basic mixing.

The "killer app" for me is the DX6e's patented gimbals, which lets me switch back and forth between sprung and unsprung throttle, or to easily allow my European friends to fly my stuff on Mode 1 without having to lug a second radio along. I can also see easy applications for these gimbals to tanks / robots, and possibly some boat applications as well. Ironically - considering they were made for quads/helis - I actually don't ever see myself using the feature for that (centering throttle for either altitude hold mode or, presumably, 3D with variable pitch or reversing props).

I know that there's plenty of bad vibes from some people about Spektrum, but my experience just doesn't jibe with that view. If anything, these have been some of the most reliable radios I've had, and, for the new AirWare ones, by far the easiest and least annoying to program. It literally "just works" for me, and I sure like the service HH offers, too.
Oct 28, 2017, 11:57 AM
Piscine Promulgator
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
We wouldn't have wasted tens of thousands of dollars on a patent that would only benefit a niche market.
Music to my ears!
Oct 28, 2017, 12:51 PM
fly by night
Quote:

I know that there's plenty of bad vibes from some people about Spektrum, but my experience just doesn't jibe with that view. If anything, these have been some of the most reliable radios I've had, and, for the new AirWare ones, by far the easiest and least annoying to program. It literally "just works" for me, and I sure like the service HH offers, too.
spektrum got a bad rap in fpv community but that was mostly because of the previous generation of radios which presented several serious problems for fpv flying (difficulties with uhf integration and limitations in programming, no rssi at the time). most of this has been resolved with the latest generation of Spek radios. but still, would be nice for Spek to have a 16ch radio with advanced programming and telemetry and voice for $100 or $200 like Frsky delivers (actually all frksy radios are 32ch). My flying buddies still use Spektrum, for los (and a littel fpv) and they have no reason to change, and I would too if I was flying LOS mostly.

I'd like to pick up a Spektrum radio for my umx models too as the modules don't play as well with them as I'd like (My Spektrum made DM9 won't bind to several of them!). but man even the older dx8 hold their value! kinda proves how good its reputation is
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Oct 28, 2017 at 01:48 PM.
Oct 30, 2017, 07:58 AM
Team Spektrum FPV
Quote:

Seriously, I hope they make their way into some future radios with even more channels as well, I'm a huge fan of the feature. Did the dev team have any idea that they'd find fans outside of the quad world? I can only imagine they did.
Image fits... muhahahaha.... the future shall bear goodness branded Spektrum
Oct 30, 2017, 08:17 AM
loved the video. the radian was my first fpv fixed wing. such a fun plane.
Oct 31, 2017, 12:33 AM
Piscine Promulgator
OK, so I swapped in a Runcam Split 2 and man what a difference it makes to be able to record in HD

FPV Slope Soaring with Runcam Split 2 and Headtracking (3 min 10 sec)
Oct 31, 2017, 09:23 AM
RCG Admin
Very Nice! Adding that into the main article on the first page.