FPV Slope Soaring Air to Air Video - RC Groups

FPV Slope Soaring Air to Air Video

Check out this awesome video showing air to air FPV with head tracking on a slope.

Splash

Ride the Wind and FPV for Hours

Slope soaring has a special place in my love for RC. It's pure endless fun and those lucky enough to live near a great slope site will know what I mean. No motor needed and you can fly for hours on end. Couple that with FPV and you get this awesome video submitted to Youtube showing some air to air FPV video with head tracking.

The FPV setup is on a Radian sailplane and its chasing a Weasel flying wing around. He's using the Spektrum Focal DVR goggles which connect wirelessly to his DX6e radio for head tracking. The plane has a Runcam Micro Swift 2 camera on a Fatshark pan/tilt unit. The video is transmitted from an Immersion RC Tramp vtx at 25mW with Pagoda antennas used. Youtuber surfpimp who created the video said "Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the setup. The Radian is really pleasant and easy to fly in the typical light lift conditions we have at this spot, perfect for learning FPV slope soaring. It's all very zen and relaxing... very nice." Watch the video and you can see how the head tracking enables him to follow the Weasel while the stability of the Radian allows for nearly hands off flying. Fun stuff!

Oct 25, 2017, 01:52 PM
fly by night
envious. thanks for posting! coast here is all trees
Oct 25, 2017, 02:29 PM
Piscine Promulgator
That feeling when you see your video on the RCG main page

Thanks Jason! Come out to Santa Barbara and fly with us any time.

Steve

P.S. - My handle only has one "p", but you're not the first to read two into it
Latest blog entry: Of Fish, France, FPV, and Fun!
Oct 25, 2017, 02:31 PM
RCG Admin
Awesome! I wondered if you were an RCG user. Great video! Man I would love to make it out there. I've got a couple of sport tubes ready to pack!!!
Oct 25, 2017, 02:50 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Weather stays in the 60s and 70s all winter long, we can fly at the beach and in the mountains... it's a slope soaring paradise

DOOOO EEEEET!
Oct 26, 2017, 09:26 AM
One more time demonstrating that FPV is not only racing... and viceversa
Oct 26, 2017, 01:39 PM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Nice. That reminded me of slope soaring at Sunset Beach on Monterey Bay back in the early '80s.
Oct 26, 2017, 03:22 PM
That was Sweet! Looks super fun!

How much is the total on a setup like that?
Oct 26, 2017, 05:59 PM
Team Spektrum FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
envious. thanks for posting! coast here is all trees
worth a trip to Kiona, or McKinley ridge ( such a little known, yet epic site) ..... almost enough to make me drop everything to move back to the NW to prove my point....

I have all the wind I need but no hills AT ALL... I drove 3 hours to find the only slopeable terrain in Illinois and I tried to slope on the ramp to the bridge over the highway next to my house.

Coastline in WA and OR isn't as flyable as CA, but there is so much incredible lift if you are willing to drive a bit.

I need sloping plus FPV plus wireless headtracking in my life. I feel like life is not complete without these elements
Oct 26, 2017, 09:56 PM
Team Spektrum FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
Weather stays in the 60s and 70s all winter long, we can fly at the beach and in the mountains... it's a slope soaring paradise

DOOOO EEEEET!
I am totally geeking out on your You Tube channel. Great flying!! I miss having access to slope terrain so bad it hurts. I've wanted to fly like this for so long, great work, I must do it sooner than later.... One of these days I'll get out there again, I've sloped all over California, Oregon, and Washington, but its been too long
Oct 27, 2017, 12:05 AM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron
worth a trip to Kiona, or McKinley ridge ( such a little known, yet epic site) ..... almost enough to make me drop everything to move back to the NW to prove my point....

I have all the wind I need but no hills AT ALL... I drove 3 hours to find the only slopeable terrain in Illinois and I tried to slope on the ramp to the bridge over the highway next to my house.

Coastline in WA and OR isn't as flyable as CA, but there is so much incredible lift if you are willing to drive a bit.

I need sloping plus FPV plus wireless headtracking in my life. I feel like life is not complete without these elements
I do have a piece of bare ocean shoreline with great slopes just 1km from my house ... but it is on strictly patrolled private land now being developed

I still fly along the beach with a poweredDLG, but too risky to fly up the slopes in case I digger: https://youtu.be/knuCySLpXwI?t=1m24s
Oct 27, 2017, 08:47 AM
Slope is my first RC love. Been thinking about moving from pure quad FPV to the slope with FPV as well. Thanks for the inspiration !
Oct 27, 2017, 11:43 AM
FPV Lawnmower
@BC

ive been sloping around Vancouver, Sooke, and the coast with my wings and alula... the trees actually give you the slope effect with an onshore breeze - you just launch from the beach instead of the top of slope
Oct 27, 2017, 01:23 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Thanks for all the positive comments, everyone. They're very much appreciated!

I got my HAM license in 2007 after having seen the great videos from VRflyer, but didn't get a proper FPV rig flying till 2012. Back then I was frustrated at how relatively difficult it was to get headtracking going (I was using Multiplex and then JR, and the Taranis hadn't been released). I was also really focused on the fun of ultralight aerobatic slope gliders, so I sort of set FPV aside in the hopes the product offerings would improve.

Fastforward to 2017 and wow, the world has changed, and for the better. I fell in love with the DX6e back in the beginning of the year after seeing its awesome gimbals and their easy switching between sprung and unsprung throttle sticks, which make it for me the best radio on the market, bar none. I only wish I could get those gimbals on a 9 or 12 channel radio!

And when I saw the Spektrum Focal DVRs, they checked all the boxes for me. Unlike many people, I don't only fly one type of aircraft, I mix it up quite a lot between gliders, powered fixed wing and quads. So I need gear that plays together nicely and, ideally, offers a lot of flexibility.

For me, the DX6e + Spektrum Focal DVR is that solution. I get wireless headtracking that works flawlessly, super easy programming (I really love AirWare, it "just works" for me - and I say that coming from a diehard MPX Profi 4000 background), the convenience of switching between my no-compromise aerobatics gliders (which require sprung throttle for 4 axis dynamic flaps) and my powered fixed wing and quad aircraft.

The long story short is that I can fly quads, gliders and powered planes and just need to bring one backpack with my radio, goggles and spare batteries (and spare parts in the case of the quads, lol) along. It's super convenient!

I never meant to become a Spektrum / Horizon fanboy, but looking at my gear, it's clear that's where I've landed. Honestly, totally OK with that... I love their BNF and UMX stuff, too

One comment - this video was HUGELY helpful in getting my headtracking going. Just follow Jim as he works through it, and it's literally plug and play. The manual in this area isn't bad, but the video makes it impossible to get wrong.

Focal V2 Fatshark Wireless Head Tracking - How To (6 min 53 sec)

Thanks again,
Steve
Last edited by surfimp; Oct 27, 2017 at 01:55 PM.
Oct 27, 2017, 01:55 PM
Piscine Promulgator
And just to give some small "props" to VRflyer, the guy who inspired us all - whether we know it or not!

August 2006(!) - headtracking, goggles, the whole deal. OG!

Bromont royal golf club (5 min 6 sec)