FourthWing UAV - RC Groups
Oct 24, 2017, 09:56 PM
Honorable Deplorable
Discussion

FourthWing UAV

I recently received one of these agricultural drones. The original owner is the head of a local crop consulting company, and they bought this with the intention of using it for field work. Apparently this thing never really worked well, and it was plagued with issues and problems. Back all that up with terrible customer service and no end help after a few months. So rather than throwing away the drone, and accompanying equipment, he gave it to me to try and do something with.

So now I am wondering what to do with this thing. Would like to get it flying and get some aerial pictures of the area if possible. Though would be neat to put the navigation system into another airplane as well.

Does anyone happen to have any kind of experience with something like this?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2017, 06:57 AM
http://www.dizigns.com/fourthwing/

Is this the vehicle you are talking about, the 'vireo'?

Seems like the company has packed up. Shop is offline by now. Would you be so kind as to take a couple of photographs of what can be found inside? What were you supplied with? I see imagery is sent via Wifi, while the control link is via 900Mhz.

I don't see any particular remote control listed, so presumably this is for waypoint navigation and mapping. I suspect that this is running some form of Ardupilot on its FC. Have a look and see if you can connect the ground control station to the vehicle and go through settings.

Pictures please! That would be helpful to comprehend the device and see if we can make something out of it.
Oct 29, 2017, 09:17 AM
Honorable Deplorable
I can get a few. And yes that is the unit. The controller is a laptop that has everything on it. There is a GPS unit in the tail of the plane that links to the computer software.
Oct 29, 2017, 08:21 PM
Honorable Deplorable
Here are some pictures. Everything on the plane appears to be hobby grade, but done custom to ensure you buy from them.
Oct 30, 2017, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogie_man
Everything on the plane appears to be hobby grade, but done custom to ensure you buy from them.
That is the case in numerous applications That is business for you. It is although rather unfortunate that they do not function well together - I reckon it is worth checking if the plane battery still has any juice in it(perhaps install another battery if suitable is available), then booting up the GCS and the and see if we can establish a connection between the two via the 900Mhz datalink.

Following that I 'assume' the compass needs be calibrated( doing the funny dance with your rc vehicle) and one would need to wait for satellite lock before a mission may be started.

Another presumption is that one would then set flight path, then some take-off sequence takes place and off she blows! (In an ideal situation)

If the Wi-fi router in the back is blown for some reason, one still has the opportunity to remove the pictures via SD card.

http://www.dizigns.com/fourthwing/assets/pdfs/Vireo.pdf (Info taken from this brochure)

Anyway, if it switches on, we can move forward from there, if not, we can take a couple of steps to see what hardware could be at fault.
Oct 30, 2017, 03:12 PM
Honorable Deplorable
I know the batteries are dead...attempted to charge those first thing. Of course the batteries are of a proprietary design. Looking into the possibility of using one of my 3s 1800mah batteries. Everything else looks to be in decent working order