This thread is privately moderated by Dave Eichstedt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 24, 2017, 08:36 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Thread OP
Discussion

Moving Forward

Still moving forward! The design work is done. 100%, completely finished. It took me about 6 months once I started using the right approach, and to be honest it was hard to focus. Very, very hard to do CAD 7-8 hours per day (which I couldn't do!) I expect the next model should go much faster, maybe even twice as fast. Since I understand the CAD package now, I'll be able to focus more on designing and less on learning the software or wrestling with it, which means I should be able to put in longer days at the CAD scope.

I've just spent the last week or so driving myself crazy over how to get my 3D parts all layed-out in a cut file in dxf format. Unfortunately Fusion360 doesn't have the functionality to do that all the way - it can get about 85% of the way there. I spent a bunch of time downloading and trying to use three different popular, free 2D CAD packages to finish off the final 15%, but was always stymied by Fusion's lack of robust dxf and dwg conversion. No matter what I tried, I just couldn't get a usable file to open in any of the other programs.

The answer was to use AutoCAD LT, which is made by the same company that makes Fusion360. Unfortunately it's not free, but as a business expense it's not too bad. I now have my first cut file done, which I'm going to use to cut a set of parts for the horizontal stabilizer & elevator and see how it goes. Then I'll apply lessons learned to go ahead and make the rest of the cut files. So building the first prototype will commence shortly. !!!! Finally!

I also connected with my plastics supplier this week and truly have them up and running on making that tooling. I will hopefully see some parts in about a month or possibly sooner. Time to ping the fiberglass guy, and also time to order some hardware. No shortage of stuff to do.
Last edited by Dave Eichstedt; Oct 24, 2017 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added comments about completing the design work
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply