How many competition flights before retiring a model? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 24, 2017, 08:32 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Discussion

How many competition flights before retiring a model?

Just curious if those who compete in F5B or F5D have a number of competition flights they will do before retiring an airframe or delegating it to light sport duty only. If an airframe is retired, what is the concern? fear of wing structural failure?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2017, 04:06 AM
My personal experience with Avionik F5B, if the model was not in an accident, if it did not receive destructive impacts on the fuselage or wing, this model can easily be used for more than five years. In full-scale competitive practice.
The only reason to replace the model for a practicing pilot is new aerodynamic research and the production of a new aircraft with higher characteristics. I still use one of the first B12 models, and periodically fly for my own pleasure. No terrible surprises.

After these words, he superstitiously tapped on a piece of wood, touched the iron, spit through his left shoulder. Also what there still should be made just in case?
Oct 25, 2017, 11:40 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golikov
The only reason to replace the model for a practicing pilot is new aerodynamic research and the production of a new aircraft with higher characteristics.
That's what I wanted to hear. Thank-You
Oct 27, 2017, 11:49 PM
"Have that removed!"
Most pylon racing models - F5D or otherwise - "retire" themselves before there would be any concern about the structural integrity of the airframe because of duty cycles.

Tim
Latest blog entry: Latest blog entry
Oct 28, 2017, 07:47 AM
Things happen to a plane at just over 300 flights.
Oct 28, 2017, 11:51 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Tic,dont be a paranoid.Your Virage has a STRONGEST wing I have ever built and seems like You taking a good care of her last flying season with 300 flights.
Just keep flying !
Go 500 now.
Thanx
Yuri
Oct 28, 2017, 12:15 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Cold, windy, rainy and snowy here now. Our flying season is over for the most part. Virage flights will be few and far between until next spring. I'm thrilled my virage has lasted as long as it has so any more flights are just a bonus.