checkered tails and cowls - paint or decals? - RC Groups
Oct 24, 2017, 06:56 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
Question

checkered tails and cowls - paint or decals?

on the old warbird planes that have a checkered tails or cowls, do people ever make decals for those?

I wasn't sure if they were too difficult to apply to the rounded nose or the contours of the tail sections or not and therefore people don't use decals but rather paint them instead...?

I am not skilled in the paint department so was hoping decals are an option. I have sent an email to Callie graphics for her opinion but thought I'd ask you veterans out here

-Mark
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2017, 06:12 AM
San Antonio TX.
I made a couple of small templates for my checker, on the cowl and canopy deck I used the template to cut out tape checkers for paint, on the rest of the airplane I used the template to cut out each checker in Monokote, then floated them down with Windex, allowed the to sit for a few days, and ironed them down with my covering iron. It just takes a little time.

Bob
Oct 25, 2017, 09:23 AM
I painted a checkered cowl on a Bud Nosen P51. Nearly went blind putting down all the little squares. Took me over 3 hours. I was so tired I waited until the next day to paint it and I usually don't do that. The main problem was the checkerboard was pretty small. I also did checks on the underside of the wing of an astro hog and they were much larger. Pretty easy to do those. However; I got a little disoriented with that astro hog when I saw the bottom of the wing with those checks on it so I haven't done one since.

carl
Oct 26, 2017, 12:36 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
Bob, that looks impressive
are you saying each of those checkers are an individual piece?!
it looks like a single sheet of covering... if those are individual checkers that is amazing and beyond my skill set

-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei
I made a couple of small templates for my checker, on the cowl and canopy deck I used the template to cut out tape checkers for paint, on the rest of the airplane I used the template to cut out each checker in Monokote, then floated them down with Windex, allowed the to sit for a few days, and ironed them down with my covering iron. It just takes a little time.

Bob
Oct 26, 2017, 12:40 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
Carl... did you paint a single color like maybe the white or yellow as the base and then painted individual black checkers ?
I can see how tedious it would be to do, that's why I was hoping a printed sheet of vinyl (already checkered) might be a way to go...

-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrover
I painted a checkered cowl on a Bud Nosen P51. Nearly went blind putting down all the little squares. Took me over 3 hours. I was so tired I waited until the next day to paint it and I usually don't do that. The main problem was the checkerboard was pretty small. I also did checks on the underside of the wing of an astro hog and they were much larger. Pretty easy to do those. However; I got a little disoriented with that astro hog when I saw the bottom of the wing with those checks on it so I haven't done one since.

carl
Oct 26, 2017, 05:47 AM
San Antonio TX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy
Bob, that looks impressive
are you saying each of those checkers are an individual piece?!
it looks like a single sheet of covering... if those are individual checkers that is amazing and beyond my skill set

-M
Yes each checker is individually cut using a template I made, then placed in position one by one, not really hard, it just take allot of time...

Bob
Oct 26, 2017, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy
Carl... did you paint a single color like maybe the white or yellow as the base and then painted individual black checkers ?
I can see how tedious it would be to do, that's why I was hoping a printed sheet of vinyl (already checkered) might be a way to go...

-M
Yup. I painted the entire area in white, then masked off the white checks and shot the black.

carl