FAA Wants Automated Drone Clearance Near Airports - RC Groups
Oct 24, 2017, 05:45 PM
Discussion

FAA Wants Automated Drone Clearance Near Airports

Haven't seen this posted here, and found it interesting: https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/22/...near-airports/

Original: https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ent-and-budget

This is focused on Part 107, but such a system would make a lot of sense for hobbyists too.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2017, 06:10 PM
I miss President Reagan
It appears to me that the purpose is for those commercial drones that may be in an ATC controlled area only temporarily. Like for a day or less. i.e. taking pictures of something for hire.

To do so legally a commercial drone must basically file what amounts to a flight plan and wait for it's approval. (No, it is NOT a flight plan like pilots are familiar with. But it does accomplish much the same thing. Hence my use of the term.)

Like all good government agencies, the approval process is back logged with expectations that it will only get worse. The automated system will eliminate the back log and provide approvals in 5 minutes or so. Good Idea FAA!

I don't see where this will impact the recreational flyer going about his business at the local RC field. Assuming the RC field is an established one which has previously notified the Airport authorities of their existence and activities.
Oct 24, 2017, 07:11 PM
If they expanded it beyond part 107, I was thinking mainly that it would be useful for people that fly at home, are within 5 miles, and call ahead of time now, or for those RC fields that don't (or can't) have a general waiver. I'm a member of such a field. It's an AMA field that has been there for decades and hasn't ever been a problem, but we've been explicitly asked to call every time we fly. It's not a big deal, but seems like a waste of their time. An automated notification system would tell them what they want to know much more efficiently.
Oct 24, 2017, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis
If they expanded it beyond part 107, I was thinking mainly that it would be useful for people that fly at home, are within 5 miles, and call ahead of time now, or for those RC fields that don't (or can't) have a general waiver. I'm a member of such a field. It's an AMA field that has been there for decades and hasn't ever been a problem, but we've been explicitly asked to call every time we fly. It's not a big deal, but seems like a waste of their time. An automated notification system would tell them what they want to know much more efficiently.
atreis, just curious if you are a member of a club that is withing 5 miles, am just wondering if you guys ever tried to set up a presetup agreement thing so the need to call each time is not required, and if that was asked about why the airport did not want to set things up that way?
Oct 25, 2017, 06:42 AM
I am, but am not an officer in the club, and am barely a member. I pay dues, and fly sometimes on my way home from work if I have an extra 20 minutes before needing to get a kid somewhere, invariably when no one else is there, but that's pretty much it. I know the folk that run the club had some meetings with appropriate people but the end result was still that we call. I don't know why.

It's really not a big deal though. I call, someone answers and politely asks for basic information, I give it, wait 10 minutes, fly, then call again when done. The only time it's irritating is when the second call is 12 minutes after the first because something went wrong.

I also have to call a different airport when flying at home (which is what I do most of the time). That airport is primarily GA traffic and handles it totally differently. They have a phone that goes straight to voicemail, and the manager asked me to leave the information there as a message. I do that. My guess is that they just delete it.
Oct 25, 2017, 09:57 AM
I downloaded the B4UFly app on my phone and it seems to have the automated reporting built into it. It checks the GPS of the phone and determined if it is within 5 miles of an airport. It then asks questions and automatically submits the notification.
Oct 28, 2017, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis
I am, but am not an officer in the club, and am barely a member. I pay dues, and fly sometimes on my way home from work if I have an extra 20 minutes before needing to get a kid somewhere, invariably when no one else is there, but that's pretty much it. I know the folk that run the club had some meetings with appropriate people but the end result was still that we call. I don't know why.

It's really not a big deal though. I call, someone answers and politely asks for basic information, I give it, wait 10 minutes, fly, then call again when done. The only time it's irritating is when the second call is 12 minutes after the first because something went wrong.

I also have to call a different airport when flying at home (which is what I do most of the time). That airport is primarily GA traffic and handles it totally differently. They have a phone that goes straight to voicemail, and the manager asked me to leave the information there as a message. I do that. My guess is that they just delete it.
Thanks for the info and thanks to for doing the right thing.

I know its not all and that some people in this hobby and probably most are perfectly willing to do the right thing as they get that for what little small thing has to be done, overall its better for the hobby in the big picture and it is refreshing to actually come across someone like that here.