CL Racing F4S FC, PDB, OSD, AIO - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 24, 2017, 04:06 PM
New Product

CL Racing F4S FC, PDB, OSD, AIO

Thought we should start a thread for the CL Racing F4S FC. Now that they are shipping, and I should have 2 in a few days to get
started building.

Specs:
LiPo Input: 2-6S (5V-30V)
Power rail: 3.3v,5v,9v,vbat
132A ( MAX display ) Current sensor with 160A PDB build in
6 layer 2oz Copper PCB
Size: 36x36mm
Mount Holes: 30.5 x 30.5 mm
CPU - STM32F405RGT6 (F4 chip)
MPU-6000
Full SD Card socket
Build in 5V BEC 2A
Build-in User selectable 9v or 5v 2A Filtered BEC For camera and VTX
Dedicated Camera setting control pads along with camera power signal pads
Dedicated VTX connection with along with TX4 for easy connect and control VTX
Build in Betaflight OSD
4 UARTS + USB (UART1 , UART3 ,UART4, UART6 ) (Pinout TX1, TX4,RX4, TX6,RX6 )
5V LED strip output
4 motors on each corner for a better layout.
Support RX : Dedicated Sbus hardware inverted ,Satellite RX, Ibus,TBS Crossfire
Dedicated hardware inverted connect to UART3 for smartport telemetry
4 in 1 esc socket with external current sensor input
Support TP and Smartaudio VTX
Buzzer pads for external buzzer

I really like these specs for my use. Separate BEC for cam and vTX should mean better filtering and cleaner FPV video while running HV vTX's. Also an F4 board with ample UART's. Most of the RX needs are covered also. OSD, an actual SD card slot.

I am coming from using the BFF3 FC exclusively for my customers custom builds. It has served me well, and I thought the BFF4 would continue on with what I wanted in an FC. But the BFF4 has gone to a 1.5amp BEC for all 5v connections. Now if you run HV vTX's, which I do, you have to pull direct from the vBAT connection, still sourcing your ground from the Agrd connection. Not optimal for clean FPV video, which most customers expect. They also removed the SD slot and went with on board BB memory. Another feature that I really use, is now gone. Sure you can still get BB files from your flights, but it takes forever to download the files compared to just copying them off an SD card. So after an extensive search I think I have found the FC I'll be using moving forward. Have to get one built up to see!
Last edited by 1banger; Oct 28, 2017 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Edited
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2017, 07:53 AM
I ordered one of these to replace a brand new Betaflight F4 board that hasn't worked right since the beginning. Hoping this sends me back to the happiness of my Betaflight F3 board.
Oct 25, 2017, 11:26 AM
Love my other CL racing boards so I will get one or more of these as well.
Oct 25, 2017, 12:27 PM
Cheng Lin has confirmed that the latest 3.2.1 betaflght hex will work fine with the F4S.

Scroll down this link to find it:

https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight/releases
Oct 25, 2017, 12:53 PM
The original is a great board. Now there are two inverted UARTs, which is great for Frsky user. I noticed that the build-in buzzer is gone. I actually like the buzzer.

Anyway, I have two on pre-order.
Oct 25, 2017, 02:34 PM
Mine arrived today. Looks like it is set to 9V for vTX by default. BB- and BB+ pads for buzzer. Nice slim SD Card assembly.
Came with BF 3.2.0 installed. Flashed to 3.2.1 with no drama. Now to get this FC, along with a new Cicida BLheli_32 4 in 1
ESC, into a customers Chameleon build.
Oct 25, 2017, 08:44 PM
Which 4in1 esc is the cable that is included is compatible with?
Oct 25, 2017, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasf
Which 4in1 esc is the cable that is included is compatible with?
I'll check, and reply with results.
Oct 26, 2017, 08:43 AM
The molex plugs for the F4S and the Sunrise Hobby 4 in 1 ESC are the same. However you will have to rearrange the individual
wires in the molex to match the pin out on the boards. See photo.

Name: qks9TV.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 214.5 KB
Description:

If I was going to use this type of connection from the ESC to the FC, I would just leave the + and - wires out. As this ESC has a nice 3 amp 12v BEC that I will use to power the FC. Personally I prefer to solder my ESC wires to the FC. And if space is at a premium, I would "depin" the ESC's molex connector and solder directly to the ESC also.
Oct 26, 2017, 09:42 AM
I think most 4n1's use the same JST connector or whatever it's called. Not much hassle to move the cables around so it is a nice function to have.
Oct 29, 2017, 07:24 AM
Can’t get r-xsr to send telemetry back.. it’s bound and I can see it in the receiver tab. All normal configuration has been done, smartport selected for uart3, soldered to tele pad on fc, updated firmware for fc (3.2.1) and rx (latest that supports lua).

R-xsr was working fine using omnibus f4 pro v3 through softserial, now I’m not getting telemetry when connecting to cl racing f4s
Oct 29, 2017, 08:40 AM
Are you getting telemetry in the OSD?
Oct 29, 2017, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1banger
Are you getting telemetry in the OSD?
nothing that's actually telemetry.. i have rssi setup but it's not working. i have normal osd stuff: craft name, throttle position, average cell, vtx channel, current... my smart audio is working so i can change channel/power through the osd but lua isn't working cause i'm not getting telemetry back to the qx7.. just shows F000, RSSI, RxBt
Oct 29, 2017, 09:01 AM
Are you running the inverted telemetry wire to the tele pad? Only asking because, you had this on another board using soft serial, and may have needed to use the non-inverted smartport pad on the R-xsr.
Oct 29, 2017, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1banger
Are you running the inverted telemetry wire to the tele pad? Only asking because, you had this on another board using soft serial, and may have needed to use the non-inverted tele pad on the R-xsr.
yeah i'm running the stock configuration off the r-xsr, so i'm running the inverted signal to the telemetry pad.. i just hooked up another clracing f4s and new r-xsr and it doesn't work. i'm going to try a normal xsr with and try both the inverted and then the un-inverted. i have to be doing something wrong or overlooking something small. it should work

edit:
just ran an xsr with both configurations, non-inverted and then inverted.. neither worked for telemetry. stock brand new clracingf4s, only thing soldered on are the 4 wires for the rx
Last edited by pointbrink; Oct 29, 2017 at 09:14 AM.