Chutes for the F3-RES class - RC Groups
Oct 24, 2017, 03:06 PM
May the Wind Always be Good
Discussion

Chutes for the F3-RES class

Need some input on size of chutes for the high starts that you are using in checking rules looks like no min size as in F3b ..Just says flag Here is some that I have made as a test ..They have 75# lines and a 1/2" ring...post comments here or PM me...Thanks Mr. Kite The 1st 2 are 10" and the other one is 8" can be made in any color or colors
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2017, 03:34 PM
Team JR Air
I'm thinking with the relatively low line tension involved, a chute is going to be way more draggy and heavy than necessary.

Tom
Oct 24, 2017, 04:37 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
Hi Mr. Kite, I have been launching my Riser from a Dynaflite standard hi-start stretched out to 10 lbs for many years and the included little chute has never hindered the launches. I will dig it out tonight when I get home and measure it for comparison to what you have here. It is smaller than the regular super chutes I have received from you.

Wayne
Oct 24, 2017, 05:31 PM

Super Chute

the standard Super Chute is a full 16"'s and the F3b is 10" and the underdog ones are 10" in the photo the yellow and blue one is a F3b one with lighter lines and the pink one is an underdog one with heaver lines and a 1/2' ring and the last one is a 6 panel F3b one with lighter lines ..
Oct 24, 2017, 05:39 PM
We have been launching off our F3-RES Hi Start with an old but smaller chute and while we have nothing for comparision it doesn't seem like there is any inhibition to the launch. Perhaps we'll eventually learn different but for now we're considering ordering eight for our club. Lots of interest building here for F3-RES.
Oct 24, 2017, 07:47 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
F3-RES standard is a ribbon rather than a chute, but for those who prefer a chute, a small 8-10" chute could do fine.

I use an old Craft-Air chute on the histart I use for my F3-RES ships.
Oct 24, 2017, 08:00 PM
Ever try the ones with a cone of mesh instead of individual lines? I'm thinking the mesh, if light enough, might result in the chute folding up a bit tighter when launching. Especially if the cloth for the chute is very light as well. The chutes I've seen that are made this way seem to snag less.

The rules I've seen, which I'm pretty sure aren't any kind of "official", merely specify a "flag". If I read Hoerner correctly, a flag has less drag as the material gets lighter. It's also supposed to be less if the flag has a short "chord" and a long "span". This suggests a flag which is under tension along one edge during launch, but after release is dragged along lengthwise. I'm imagining it sewn down the middle to some high tech fishing line of minimal diameter, with a very light tow ring on the end. Or maybe a heavy one would be ok, I'm not sure. The flag would fold over the line on launch, then flutter after release. Hmmm....

Folded chutes are definitely a source of high drag. Maybe I should explore this for my own high start. Flexible foam airfoil shape for it to fold around?? Hmmm...
Oct 24, 2017, 08:04 PM
A ribbon will have drag the chute has better line control .. working with some feed back .. looks like a 8" chute like the underdog ones is where we are headed as of now ...Thanks for the feed back ...Mr. Kite ...
Oct 24, 2017, 08:07 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
Mr. Kite, for what it's worth, the chute that came with my Dynaflite hi-start is 11" across when placed flat on a table.

Wayne
Oct 25, 2017, 11:03 AM
We just use a streamer. The one on mine is about 1" wide and 10" long, does the job fine, and less drag than a chute. Also, a streamer does not drift as much with the wind as a chute does. And no, we have not had any problems with tangling.
Nov 06, 2017, 02:17 PM
Here is some of the new F-RES class chutes they are 8" with a 1/2 welded ring and 75# test lines so can be used on other higher power high stats or winch's lines are easy to work with ...Lighter lines tangle to easy....$20.00 each + $5.00 shipping per order..
Nov 09, 2017, 03:17 AM
who has rabbit ears down
If those old Craftair 'chutes are 8", then fine by me! I just ordered 3 highstarts from Don, and even if there is less drag, I love the chutes! If it's easy mr Kite, maybe a 6"? I'm in for 3 nontheless!
Nov 10, 2017, 05:46 PM
Three are some 6" ones on the way { just roll the line out and Good Luck]
Nov 10, 2017, 10:02 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Saweet! Thank You fine sir!
Nov 13, 2017, 04:13 PM
Worked on chutes today here is a photo of 6" size, 8" size, 10" size ,and the 10" f-3b with lighter lines and the 16" standard size Super Chute ..