Freewing 64mm F-8 Crusader - RC Groups
Oct 24, 2017, 12:01 PM
EB-66C Team Member
New Product

Freewing 64mm F-8 Crusader

IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP TODAY!

Alpha's note: In recent years, we've really pushed the envelope with scale EDF jets in the 80mm and 90mm sizes, yet all the while we've continued to receive requests for new 64mm size jets. Recognizing that not all our customer family wants to spend $500+ on a big jet and big batteries, it's no surprise that our 64mm park jets' popularity remains strong as ever. As a love letter to all of you who want a parkscale jet that costs less than a big jet's battery, here for your consideration...

PROJECT KENNEDY:
Freewing 64mm F-8 Crusader

The F-8 Crusader is revered as "The Last Gunfighter" because it was the final American fighter designed with guns as its principal armament. First flying in 1955 before playing a pivotal reconnaissance role in the Cuban Missile Crisis and serving with distinction in Vietnam, over 1,200 aircraft were built across many different variants. Revered as a "MiG Master" for its speed and lethality with both its guns and Sidewinder missiles, the F-8 Crusader earned a 19:3 kill ratio in air combat during the Vietnam conflict and went on to faithfully serve the US Navy and Marine Corps for three decades, even serving as a testbed platform with NASA to spearhead innovations that influence modern aircraft design to this day.

Freewing and Motion RC are proud to present the world's first foam PNP F-8 Crusader! While larger and more expensive aircraft are fun, too, we haven't forgotten our park flying friends! Continuing the popularity of our Freewing Stinger 64, F9F Panther, and F-22 Raptor, the F-8 Crusader reintroduces our 64mm “Park Jet” series to pilots seeking standoff scale appearance of rarely modeled aircraft in an affordable and easy to own package.

Powered by an efficient 64mm 5 blade EDF fan unit, 30A ESC and 2627-4500kv brushless outrunner motor, the Freewing 64mm F-8 Crusader reaches a top speed of 110kph/68mph on an inexpensive 3s 1000mAh-2200mAh lipo battery with XT60 connector. While designed with simplified flight control surfaces and intended for hand launches and belly landing on grass runways, an optional landing gear set is sold separately for steerable operation on paved runways.

The Freewing 64mm F-8 Crusader is optimized to be an ideal first hand launch EDF, for novice pilots wanting to learn how an EDF jet handles versus a propeller driven model aircraft of a similar size. The Crusader's high wing and ample thrust give the model good stability, even at low speeds. Assembly is straightforward, and using only two servos minimizes weight, complexity, and cost. The F-8 Crusader is configured to be flown using a radio that has Elevon mixing, as each side's aileron and elevator surface are connected together. The model's low wing loading and manageable slow speed handling in the landing pattern negated the need for a heavy and costly variable incidence wing. The battery bay can also accommodate a small gyro for additional stabilization.

Being optimized for low cost doesn't mean this Crusader lacks in scale appearance. Tired of generic looking mini EDF trainers? We believe even new pilots to the RC Flying hobby still appreciate the scale factor and historical pedigree of a tried and true warfighter, and the Crusader delivers top marks in its class. An accurate livery depicting Fighter Squadron VF-162, "The Hunters", USS Oriskany 1968, is factory applied with low sheen waterslide decals, and the overall dimension of the model is true to scale, down to the asymmetric fuselage blisters, iconic gun ports, and silver painted leading edges. The livery we selected honors the aircraft flown by Commander Richard M. Bellinger, in which he was the first US Naval aviator to shoot down a MiG-21.

Earn your wings with this low cost and high value EDF jet, the Freewing F-8 Crusader! These also stuff nicely into a stocking...

Product Page:
https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...mm-edf-jet-pnp

Flight Review Video:
Freewing F-8 Crusader 64mm EDF Jet - Flight Review - Motion RC (6 min 8 sec)

Build Video:
Freewing F-8 Crusader 64mm EDF Jet - Build Video - Motion RC (7 min 50 sec)
Last edited by xplaneguy; Oct 24, 2017 at 03:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2017, 12:21 PM
EB-66C Team Member
OH YEAH!!!! Price point is $99 and trigger has been pulled.......GET SOME!!!!
Last edited by xplaneguy; Oct 24, 2017 at 02:59 PM.
Oct 24, 2017, 12:32 PM
NICE - but come on, no more 5-blade fans, Freewing got the (really cheap btw) 12-blade 64mm fan, and it would need a slightly beefier motor with more torque, that would just have added, say, 3-5 $ total in production cost, and would offer nice sound as well... Is it that important to reach the 99$ tag (I don't know, it might be)
Oct 24, 2017, 12:59 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Sweet! Lol

Thanks for posting Tony!

Toss em' and Boss em'

Glad to see a new hand launch option!
Oct 24, 2017, 01:17 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Great job on the vids Ryan & Mike!

Yeah....you can get a bunch of these jets in the trunk of a Honda Civic! Always good to see a low price jet option, especially for the pilots flying off of grass. This thing will be perfect to fly after work at the local park.
Latest blog entry: Evelyn's first Cox PT-19 flight
Oct 24, 2017, 02:03 PM
Trigger pulled!
Oct 24, 2017, 02:07 PM
AKA Terry Till
If someone could show this flying with a 3S 2200 (180gr.) I’d be very appreciative.
Love the crusader, I just think it might be too small for the equipment I have.
Oct 24, 2017, 02:20 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Comparison photos with the Freewing 64mm F9F and Freewing 64mm F-18. Upgrading to a 4S power set up has been done. According, to Alpha the Crusader was BALLISTIC!!

Also, attached is an F-8 painting by my dear friend, Aviation Artist - Mike Machat
Last edited by xplaneguy; Oct 24, 2017 at 02:40 PM.
Oct 24, 2017, 02:43 PM
EB-66C Team Member
My favorite scene from the film 'Thirteen Days':
Thirteen Days (2000) F-8 scene (2 min 50 sec)
Oct 24, 2017, 03:10 PM
Love the Gunfighter.

I've hoped for a big one, but don't think it will happen. The short gear+low intake would limit the grass ops.
Oct 24, 2017, 03:51 PM
Foam abuser!
Ordered 2, one for me and one for Bob Ruff. Could not find landing gear yet, so she will be hand launched until then.

Pat
Oct 24, 2017, 03:54 PM
EB-66C Team Member
The "Great Crusader Fly-by" Day (2 min 41 sec)
Oct 24, 2017, 05:49 PM
Have to find someone to buy me one
Last edited by Mikey 68; Oct 24, 2017 at 06:31 PM.
Oct 24, 2017, 08:09 PM
EDF all the way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Ordered 2, one for me and one for Bob Ruff. Could not find landing gear yet, so she will be hand launched until then.

Pat
Yea! Thanks,Pat.
Bob
Oct 24, 2017, 08:52 PM
I just got x2 for ME !!!