Graupner mz-12 PRO 12 Channel 2.4GHz HoTT Transmitter - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Graupner mz-12 PRO 12 Channel 2.4GHz HoTT Transmitter

The new mz-12 PRO is just the ticket for any pilot wanting a rock-solid 2.4GHz link, telemetry, and a slew of additional features for under $200.

The Graupner mz-12 PRO 12 Channel 2.4GHz HoTT Transmitter

12 Channels, 250 Models, Telemetry. Under $200

Packed with high-dollar features and a very affordable price, the Graupner mz-12 PRO is a real contender for your next transmitter system. It's no secret that Graupner has one of the most solid radio links out there; the 2.4GHz HoTT protocol has been proven in the field and continues to improve with 75-channel frequency hopping, bi-directional telemetry communication, and 10ms frame rates when used with digital servos. Additionally, the mz-12 PRO case has been redesigned for a more natural grip - a must for hand-launch sailplane pilots and FPV.

Graupner has graciously included a 1500mAh LiPo with the mz-12 PRO instead of an outdated NiMH battery. Updated too, is wireless functionality for setting up flight controllers and making telemetry changes right from the transmitter with no USB cables needed.

Included Falcon 12 Receiver

From Graupner: The included Graupner Falcon 12 receiver sets a new standard for flight controllers. The Falcon 12 is an airplane stabilizer, flybarless helicopter controller and multirotor controller all in one compact package that includes also real-time telemetry and a long-range receiver. Setting up the Falcon 12 is easy. By using the wireless connection on your mz-12 PRO radio you can conveniently access all the features and settings without the need for cables or computers. Controller settings can be adjusted during flight or changed using flight modes. The Falcon 12 can adapt itself to your needs or flying style making it the most versatile flight controller on the market.

The Falcon 12 flight controller can be used in almost any airplane, helicopter or multirotor application accommodating many type of configurations and settings. The Falcon 12 can be expanded with additional telemetry modules (GPS, Altimeter, ESC Telemetry and more)

CLICK HERE for more info on the Graupner mz-12 PRO w/ Falcon 12 receiver

Features:

• 12 radio channels and 250 model memories
  • Quad bearings gimbals for smooth operation
  • Integrated long range antenna
  • Microcomputer radio 2.4 GHz radio utilizing Graupner HoTT technology
  • Use of up to 75 frequency-hopping channels to ensure operating reliability
  • Removeable 1500mAh LiPo rechargeable battery
  • Battery charging indicator when charged with included USB cable
  • Bidirectional communication between transmitter and receiver
  • Fast 10ms frame rates when used with digital servos
  • Wireless or wired Teacher/Student link (buddy boxing)
  • Micro USB Joystick function for flight simulator training
  • Model types: Airplane, Helicopter, Multirotor, Boat and Car
  • Supports 5 different languages ??(German, English, French, Italian and Spanish)
  • Model memories can be stored and retrieved from computer
  • Intuitive operation and programming
  • HoTTSync for exclusive and safe model operation
  • Airplane Wing Types: 1AI, 1AI-1FL, 2AI, 2AI-1FL, 2AI-2FL
  • All switches and controls are user assignable
  • Radio Switches: 2 x 3-position switches, 1 x 2 position spring loaded switch, 2 x 2 position switch, 1 analog rotary knob
  • Mode 1 to 4 freely selectable
  • Key-lock function against unintended operation.
  • 2 programmable flight phases
  • Helicopter Swash plate limiter
  • Dual Rate and Expo individually adjustable and switchable during the flight
  • Wing mixers (aileron/flaps differential), (aileron rudder/flaps mixer), (elevator flap/aileron mixer), (flap elevator/aileron mixer)
  • Multi point throttle curve in all model modes
  • Free assignable mixers functions (5 linear mixers and 4 curve mixers)
  • Programmable fail-safe function "Hold" or "Move to preset positions" can be set separately for each individual servo channel
  • Stopwatches / Countdown timer with alarm function
  • Model copy function for model memory
  • Supported data formats on the DSC port: Telemetry, Bluetooth, CROSSFIRE V2 unidirectional

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Oct 24, 2017 at 09:35 AM..
Oct 24, 2017, 11:30 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
That's a serious shot across the bows from Graupner to Spektrum and FrSky who dominate the sub-$200 space

Finally, a real competitor to the Taranis QX7/QX7S. Non-crippled channel count, Wireless FC programming and USB Joystick functionality.

Some programming limitations compared to OpenTX, but an option in this space with traditional canned programming has long been needed.

Unless there's a gotcha, I'd recommend this over a DX6G3 or DX6e any day.
Oct 24, 2017, 11:45 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Oh, Question for the Graupner guys.

What small 4ch full-range RX options are there? Need these for RES and HLG gliders. I only see park-range RX's smaller than the largish 6ch units.
Oct 24, 2017, 02:01 PM
Most of our sailplane pilots including those competing in the worlds use the GR-12 receivers after stripping the case and heat shrinking the PCB.

In case your airframe has a lot of carbon then you may need to revert to the GR-16 and also strip the case to reduce size and weight.
Oct 24, 2017, 03:19 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
A 4ch would still be ideal for cramped installations (like on a DLG). But a 6ch will work well enough

You really should list that the MZ-12 Pro is voice enabled on the spec list. I see it in the manual but not in the marketing material.
Oct 24, 2017, 03:30 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz

You really should list that the MZ-12 Pro is voice enabled on the spec list. I see it in the manual but not in the marketing material.
Click the link in the above story:

PROGRAMMABLE VOICE ALERTS

Configure any switch or control on the mz-12 PRO with a wide selection of voice announcements and alerts. Set up countless announcement combination options based on your needs and model conditions with flight-dependent voice triggers. Record your own voice messages to customize your experience by downloading the free Graupner Firmware Update Studio Program!

The built-in speaker provides a loud and clear adjustable volume for all the radio notifications. Subsequently user can also use a headset for hearing notifications.
Oct 25, 2017, 04:15 AM
For those with many models, the receivers are still half of the equation...
With Graupner you can have three 8 ch receivers for the price of the radio, with Frsky you can have eight such receivers
Oct 25, 2017, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
For those with many models, the receivers are still half of the equation...
With Graupner you can have three 8 ch receivers for the price of the radio, with Frsky you can have eight such receivers
Apples to oranges. Graupner receivers are programmable. Even their $30 six channel.
Oct 25, 2017, 01:03 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers
Apples to oranges. Graupner receivers are programmable. Even their $30 six channel.
Not really, FrSky receivers do not need programming to achieve the same functionality, aside from failsafe and refresh rate (both of which are programmable from the TX).

It's a question of approach. On FrSky, you have dedicated outputs for Sbus (equivalent to SUMD) & S.port(Telemetry & firmware updates) and channel mapping is fully flexible at the TX. On Graupner, the ports are overloaded and channel mapping is handled at the receiver (likely a legacy of the older JR-based HoTT transmitters which were somewhat inflexible in terms of channel mapping). This allows FrSky's receivers to, with one exception, always have the listed number of servo outputs active (the exception being the G-RX8 which only has 6 servo outputs when bound with SBus Out active, it's 8ch active in the other PWM mode)

Both approaches work equally well. Ironically, Graupner's approach would actually benefit FrSky in some ways, as FrSky is still actively selling modules for JR style module bays and channel remapping would be handy there while FrSky's approach would work well for Graupner by removing the loss of a servo output when external sensors are used.

That said, Renatoa's math is certainly off, it's 4 receivers for the price of an FrSky radio, as the MX-12 Pro equivalent would be the cheaper X7, not the higher-end X9D+ with its additional switches and sliders (the MX-12 Pro really comes in between the X7 and X9D+ as it includes the battery & charger unit that is missing on the X7 and does not need a MicroSD card to be purchased to enable voice, but is otherwise more similar to the X7 in overall hardware configuration)
Oct 25, 2017, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers
Please substantiate or elaborate on that.

Other receivers are not programmable because... what exactly?
Oct 25, 2017, 03:49 PM
Just computed for a $200 radio, without doing such equivalences, if we start to compare them as functionality, for example OpenTx features versus a canned radio, then we have apples to cherries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
... That said, Renatoa's math is certainly off, it's 4 receivers for the price of an FrSky radio, as the MX-12 Pro equivalent would be the cheaper X7, not the higher-end X9D+ with its additional switches and sliders (the MX-12 Pro really comes in between the X7 and X9D+ as it includes the battery & charger unit that is missing on the X7 and does not need a MicroSD card to be purchased to enable voice, but is otherwise more similar to the X7 in overall hardware configuration)
Oct 25, 2017, 03:54 PM
Nice looking radio. If I hadn't bought a X7 last week I might of gone for this instead. Appears to be a much more sensible case design then what FrSky has been putting out.
Oct 25, 2017, 06:04 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Nice radio indeed. But I wonder if the MZ-12 Pro will cut into the MZ-24 Pro sales. They're both 12 ch. radios, but one is about half the price of other. for the uninitiated the choice is simple.
Oct 25, 2017, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailhigh
Nice radio indeed. But I wonder if the MZ-12 Pro will cut into the MZ-24 Pro sales. They're both 12 ch. radios, but one is about half the price of other. for the uninitiated the choice is simple.
Likely not. Doesn't have but two flight phases.

As to the program-ability of the receiver I am not aware of a FrSky receiver that has the ability to set end points, assign channels, mix channels, rates/expo, etc. in the receiver. Again, an apples to orange comparison.
Oct 25, 2017, 08:51 PM
Calm before the storm
I like the look of the radio and I like Graupner products. Hitec is nice but does not have 12 channels. I may be swapping radios soon since I have a need for more channels and Hitec does not offer above 9 channels. Plus Hitec systems that they just put out are a big step backwards in my opinion. Flash 7 and flash 8? Really the only thing "new" from them is the resolution.
I may be swapping sooner than I expected.
Nice radio for a very competitive price.