Seagull FW-190 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 23, 2017, 09:38 PM
Rave

Seagull FW-190

I have just received my Seagull FW-190 from skysharkr.com and unboxed it. Not a scratch from shipping damage! what a pleasant experience.

The plane is very well built and sturdy. There are smart features that impressed me including the installed slotted hinges on aileron, the button head magnetic latches for the fuel tank/battery access hatch, the beefy flaps, two piece stabs and wings, and the mechanical retracts. The paint and covering were very well done. The cowl and canopy are on the light side compared to the rest of the plane. I was really pleased with the spring loaded struts and how little force it took for the retracts to slide and lock.

The picture shows how the Saito FG-60R3 will easily fit inside the cowl. Seagull made a change and now shows this is a 50cc plane. They put a sticker to cover the labels on the box, and the manual shows 50cc. As big as this plane is a 30cc gasser would struggle I am sure. I fly a smaller and lighter World Models P-47 on a DLE 30 and have to agree that a 50cc is called for.

I had preordered two and got free shipping for both. I got cold feet when Angie at Sky Shark notified me that they were ready to ship and decided to inspect one before I order a second one - bad decision. I want to thank Angie for answering all of my email inquiries and questions on the phone. Thank you for treating me courteously and fairly, Angie.

I did not want to put the FW-190 back in the box but with umpteen things to do with my other planes I had to. I would rate this Seagull plane 9.5/10 and 12/10 for most bang for buck.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2017, 10:51 PM
Wow I didnt think the Saito 60 Radial would fit in it ...

I started with NGH38 and after 15 seconds in the air I knew it was too small ...

I now have a tp70 installed and a 22x14 x2 prop for maiden next w-end with new engine ...

Andy
Oct 23, 2017, 11:08 PM
Hi Bayrc ...

Just a question as you mentioned magnetic hatch butttons for your batt/ fuel tank hatch ? Mine doesnt even have a hatch ?
Have they upgraded this model from last year ?

Secondly , Yes the retract springs work great until you bring your plane to balance and the plane drops to the floor
(You can simply source upgraded tension springs , cut to length and drop them in ) You will see and you can thank me later ...

I do like this plane its one bad ass looking SOB ... To use Yanky slang

Enjoy your build

Andy
Oct 24, 2017, 11:24 PM
Thank you for the tip, Andy.

My flying buddy will drop by the house this weekend to take a look see. I will take pictures of the hatch then.
Oct 25, 2017, 08:06 AM
Nothing I like more than pics of the "Hatch" ...

Andy
Oct 28, 2017, 08:09 PM
Pictures of access hatch and wheel cover. Note the dimple in the magnet latch. This prevents lateral movement and hatch coming off in flight - I hope. The wheel cover is a substantial piece of laminated plastic.

I will most likely place an order for a second one. I've got this crazy idea to bash it into a bipe. It's very doable and it should fly awesome. Just don't know when I can get the time to do it. This is a very well designed and sturdy built plane. Even if I don't make a bipe out of one it's worth it to me to have a spare.
Oct 28, 2017, 10:35 PM
teamwork, do it my way!
Wow, I have one of these too, still units box. I am also putting the rg60 in it. But I don’t recall mine having the hatch either. They must have changed things...
BTW, there is not a lot of ‘exit’ for cooling with my cowl setup...
Oct 29, 2017, 09:56 PM
The hatch also features two hooks made out of G10 material. When it slides back the hooks will prevent the hatch from popping off. Other pictures show how all glue joints were well done, nice slotted hinges on ailerons, heavy duty flaps, and this is definitely a 50cc size. I have placed an order for a second one.

Seagull has made this a very sturdy war bird. The improvements they have made no doubt helped earn this FW1-190A a spot in the line up at Sky Shark RC. I asked Sky Shark about electric retracts and was told that they were doing some testing and evaluation.
Oct 29, 2017, 10:22 PM
Hi Bayrc ... Nice hatch mate ... Mine didnt have that

You could have just ordered a wingset instead of a whole plane , But you will have spares

Andy
Oct 29, 2017, 11:48 PM
teamwork, do it my way!
I’m tempted to buy a fuse, just to have that hatch!
With regards to retracts, just stump up for a set of Electron’s, you will be glad you did.
Oct 30, 2017, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis1450
Hi Bayrc ... Nice hatch mate ... Mine didnt have that

You could have just ordered a wingset instead of a whole plane , But you will have spares

Andy
My thinking is that I will have a 'standard' 190A and an abnormal 190A bipe. The lower wing would have attachment points for the struts but other than that unmodified. The top wing would need major mods to sweep back, mounting and especially lightened. The fuselage for the bipe would need to be lengthened and have supports for the top wing.
Oct 31, 2017, 06:29 AM
So ok ...

Here is my effort to try to make this plane more user friendly regarding access to batteries / fuel tank level and
to view rx signal and sat rx signal binding ...

However , AFTER I decided to HACK the fuse , I then realized that the depth from the underside of the hatch cover
and the lower section of the fuse plate was not deep enough to fit the fuel tank in ... ... Now given I have fitted
a torqpro 70cc I want 750 ml of fuel or more . So after searching for a flatter wider fuel tank to fit and having no luck

I still have to pull the wing off to see the fuel level or , Just keep pumping fuel in until it runs out the overflow tube

Also I pre-mounted my rx gear prior to the hatch cut job so that is a real pain to relocate all that again , Soooooo luckily I mounted the
sat rx in the canopy , and as it turns out I can see the main rx through the cowling ... To make sure all is lit up correctly ... ..

However , The wing still has to be removed for access to servo's and fuel tank ...

So If Seagull have upgraded this FW-190 with the hatch as you show it will be a great improvement for this plane / product and
all they have to do now is make it and easy 2 piece wing configuration and it will out sell all it's rivals ...

Please be advised I cut the fuse after a few beers and if anything looks unprofessional I want you to know it was the beer ok ...

Andy ...
Oct 31, 2017, 09:44 PM
Nice job, Andy!

The wings are two pieces with an aluminum tube. I do not plan to epoxy them together. The dowels and wing bolts are more than strong enough. This is a similar design to the World Models P-47 which I did not glue the wings together.

If I decide to install the bomb I will mount it off center a bit in one of the wings. The stabs are two pieces also.
Nov 01, 2017, 07:40 AM
Yes Bayrc , I also did not epoxy the wings together just incase ...
I agree there is enough strength in the dowels and wing screws , HOWEVER , I did as a precaution
drive a screw through each underside of the wings through the fibre tube guides and into the aloy tube .

I have no reason to remove my wings on any of my planes as I have a purposely set up - lil ute - for goi'n fly'n .
And also I am old and lazy and I like to find the easiest way to have fun with minumum effort especially once at the field .

I see these guys at the field taking 40 mins to assemble thier planes and in a flustering manner and by the time they have completed
thier assembly they are so worn out they normally crash , But I dont laugh - At least not whilst they can hear ...

Anyway - I did not install the bomb as I have a pre fabricated muffler filling that space and its much more of a "functional" use of space. Not to mention the visual effect along with the sound , I will now go and take pics for you to help you better understand ...

Lets remember tho that I have a tp70 which has a flexi pipe style muffler and your Saito 60 will have a rear inline job with a small pipe protuding from fuse if you dont use muffler ... Ahhh you know what I mean ..

Anyway here is pics of my ute and Wulf with nasty muffler in place of the (Scale police Bomb) ...

Andy
Nov 01, 2017, 08:25 AM
Oh yes and don't enlarge the pics to much because you will see alot of scratches
because yes the wulf went down on maiden likely due to my in- experience with rx gear
and gassser vibration because I started as an electric enterant to this hobby .

So in short minor fuse reapir but I did need a new wingset to bring it back to where it is now , But I did learn that
for this plane I need to minimise vibration on rx's and I needed to double the recomended cc specs for performance .

Head my warning ...

Andy