Gearbest - Creality CR-10 3D Printer Review - RC Groups

Gearbest - Creality CR-10 3D Printer Review

A 3D printer can be a great way to create things for your RC craft - from planes to quads, a 3D printer can really come in handy. Here is a review on the CR-10 from a 3D printing newbie...me!

Splash

3D Printing - Easy, Fun and Handy for an RC Pilot

If you are in the RC hobby then you are probably aware of 3D printers. The RCGroups team has been into 3D printing for while and that's why I stayed away. You had to fully assemble your 3D printer. Then you had to figure out all the little intricacies of making it actually print. I figured I would wait until they had all the kinks worked out. Fast forward to now.

Why the CR-10

RCGroups team member Jason Cole was on his 3rd 3D printer when I asked what he would reccomend. He said the 3D printer that is getting the most attention right now is the Creality CR-10. Let's go over what makes it cool enough to get me into 3D printing...

Features

• LCD screen and keypad for easy offline use
  • Supports SD card off-line printing, can also directly print with USB adapter
  • 300 x 300 x 400mm build volume - this is much bigger than you usually see
  • Supports multiple 3D printing filaments: ABS / PLA / TPU and more
  • Fast assembly and easy adjustment
  • Nozzle temperature: below 250 Deg.C in normal state, max. 270 Deg.C
  • Very fine print capabilities
  • Industrial-grade PCB can continuously print for 200 hours without pressure
  • Wires are already connected to the control board & cables are also attached,easy for wiring.

Specs

• Brand: Creality3D
  • Model: CR - 10
  • Nozzle diameter: 0.4mm
  • Memory card offline print: SD card
  • LCD Screen: Yes
  • Print speed: 150mm / s
  • Material diameter: 1.75mm
  • File format: G-code,JPG,OBJ,STL
  • Host computer software: Cura
  • Packing Type: unassembled packing
  • Product weight: 13.0000 kg
  • Package weight: 14.0000 kg
  • Product size: 61.50 x 60.00 x 49.00 cm / 24.21 x 23.62 x 19.29 inches
  • Package size: 64.00 x 53.00 x 27.00 cm / 25.2 x 20.87 x 10.63 inches

Gearbest - Creality CR-10 3D Printer RCGroups Review (28 min 33 sec)

What's in the Box

You know your printer has arrived when you see the huge box! While the C-10 isn't fully assembled it is super easy to get together and running. There is nothing complicated about putting it together. I go over this in my video.

Tools and More - What You Get

You not only receive the printer, you also get a spool of good quality PLA filament, roll of masking tape for bed adhesion, instructions, SD card and USB card reader, PTFE tube and tools. Not only that they actually give you spare parts! You could not ask for more.

How to Get Started

For full instructions watch my video. The one big thing I would suggest is that your first print should be the file on the micro SD card. My son had me printing multiple objects he wanted and I realized that since I had no idea what I was doing I should start with the basics. When I used the LCD screen to navigate to the SD card and clicked on the preloaded piece I had a 3D printing success. I said it was like the first RC plane I put in the air. I couldn't believe it actually flew. When my first 3D print came out I was pretty excited. The good news is that there will be many more to follow!

Job One - Level the Bed

Trust me when I say the number one thing to be aware of is that your bed needs to be level. I have a video that shows exactly how to do it. You will know your bed isn't level if your plastic does not stick to the glass or if your print head is dragging your object around. Usually you are going to see a lot of plastic spaghetti.

Bed Leveling Tips

• If using masking tape or hair spray on your glass apply first
  • Make sure your glass is secured with clips
  • Heat your bed up (I head the CR-10 bed to 60 degrees)
  • Use standard printing paper to measure the height
  • Disengage the stepper motor
  • Move the print head to a corner
  • Slide paper between nozzle and the print surface
  • You can use the knobs under the bed to raise and lower the surface
  • You want the paper to be able to move but with friction
  • You will see marks on the paper
  • Do this for each corner
  • Move to the center and make sure you have friction there.

BEFORE OPERATION - SELECT VOLTAGE

I'm not an all caps type of guy but these deserves it. Be sure to pick the right voltage on the side of the power supply before turning anything on!

The Brain

The unit comes with a nice power supply and LCD screen. The standard way to print would be to download your 3D files (I use .STL) to the micro SD card. There is a slot on the side of the power supply to put this into.

The LCD screen will give you vital statistics on what your CR-10 is doing. I frequently use the "tune" section to set my bed temperature. This is also how you will pick your 3D file from the SD card to print.

Apps and Websites

You will need a few resources to utilize your CR-10. I would say the one app you need to start with is Cura. This will allow you to import a 3D file and get it ready to print. Put your SD card in your computer and Cura will save directly to it.

The first site to visit is Thingverse. I went there and looked up my favorite FPV camera and my favorite plane and found files ready to print.

At some point you are going to want to create your own 3D piece or just alter an existing one. Tinkercad.com seems to be what many folks are using. I was able to import a canopy for my Stratosurfer and add hole in the top (for air to exit out of). I figured this out pretty quickly on my own.

When I saved the object it automatically opened up in Cura and was ready to print. I was pretty excited to see my added outlet printed perfect!

Links

These apps will get you going. There are many more options but start here.

Filament Types

The CR-10 comes with a roll of PLA. I think this it the most common type of filament used on a machine like this. There are other options out there for different applications but for starting out PLA is good. PLA is derived from sugar so it won't stink up your work area. PLA is also less prone to warpage. It can provide a glossy look and is stronger than ABS. You can easily purchase more PLA on the web.

Temperature Tuning

I had no idea what temp anything should be. After a full week or so of printing I have landed on these numbers:

• Nozzle - 200 degrees
  • Bed - 60 degrees
You might end up liking other temps but these work every time on my machine.

Surface Prep

You must have something on your glass for the PLA to stick to. Without that your piece will be a blobby mess. The machine comes with masking tape. I have to admit after several tries I had very little luck with it. I found out that many people use hair spray. I ran up the street and had to ask a lady for some hair spray. They asked why and we had a nice conversation about 3D printers. I did find that hair spray worked great for me. There are some other alternatives I go over in my video.

Final Thoughts

First go watch my video. I show the build, how to level the bed and get a 3D print going. I was waiting on a 3D printer until I could find one that went together easy, was a snap to operate, had a big print bed and wasn't insanely expensive. This unit is all of those things. If I had to make my list of top 5 cool things I've reviewed this year the CR-10 would be in that list! I find it very enjoyable and useful. I even impressed my 14 year old son by having it!

If you have been waiting I don't think there there is a better unit out there at this price point.

Links Pricing and Coupons

• USA Warehouse
  • Expedited Shipping 3 - 7 business days/FREE SHIPPING
  • Page price: $457.70
  • Coupon:GBCRUS $359.99

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.
It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Oct 25, 2017, 05:53 PM
Jim...must be nice. I can imagine the conversation with Gearbest now... "hey I'm Jim T and I don't know crap about 3D printers but please send me one of your best ones and I'll say something nice about it!"
Oct 25, 2017, 06:02 PM
Admin Deluxe
Rad
The goal was to find a printer that was modest in price but had great features and was reliable. I also wanted something any newbie could succeed with. I don't talk pretty about a product unless there is good reason to do so. I hope you enjoy the review and video. I worked hard in an effort to answer all the questions someone new to 3D printing might have when they first start out.
Oct 25, 2017, 08:11 PM
Yeah, really, coz I ordered from GearBest six (6) days ago and this morning received an email saying I had to pay more $ to get it.

Unbelievable, right? Read on...

Akin to taking a hostage for ransom. Cancelled after speaking with my bank and PayPal, but I won't be getting my money back soon.

So yeah, Jim gets one for nothing and I can't buy one with a reasonable good-faith purchase.

LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radfordc
Jim...must be nice. I can imagine the conversation with Gearbest now... "hey I'm Jim T and I don't know crap about 3D printers but please send me one of your best ones and I'll say something nice about it!"
Oct 25, 2017, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham
Rad
The goal was to find a printer that was modest in price but had great features and was reliable. I also wanted something any newbie could succeed with. I don't talk pretty about a product unless there is good reason to do so. I hope you enjoy the review and video. I worked hard in an effort to answer all the questions someone new to 3D printing might have when they first start out.
Jim...no offense meant...I'm just jealous! I appreciate the reviews you guys do.
Oct 26, 2017, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4FunRC
Yeah, really, coz I ordered from GearBest six (6) days ago and this morning received an email saying I had to pay more $ to get it.

Akin to taking a hostage for ransom. Cancelled after speaking with my bank and PayPal, but I won't be getting my money back soon.

So yeah, Jim gets one for nothing and I can't buy one with a reasonable good-faith purchase.

LOL!
hi, 4FunRC
what can I do for you?

what reason the does e-mail say?

if anything I can do for you, pls feel free to PM me.

Wish you have nice day~
Anny
Oct 26, 2017, 06:19 AM
Fly 3D Mon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4FunRC

LOL!
That is what a lot of other guys complained about in the facebook discussion.
Oct 26, 2017, 11:54 AM
spend the saved money on simplify3d, you'll thank me eventually.
Oct 26, 2017, 12:08 PM

A few observations...

We have 2 3D printers at work and I do a fair amount of work with them and also make toys to go with my planes and guns.

What I have found works well with PLA and a glass bed is Suave Max Hold unscented #8. I usually start the bed out with
2-3 light coats sprayed off the printer. Be sure to spray it on a leveled surface or it will pool on the low corner. Then between
jobs I will give the bed a light "touch up" spray on the printer. I will usually get several prints before the spray level on the bed
gets too beat up ands uneven and has to be cleaned off and replaced. If you are careful you may not have to relevel but
don't count on it

When printing with ABS I use Aquanet Extra Super Hold unscented, same prep as with PLA. By the way, when you switch
filaments remove your bed and wash off all the previous spray with warm water and start over.

I have bought filament from a number of suppliers and most all of it prints well, I have noticed that the filament Hobbyking
sells tends to get brittle and break hanging on the printer for a few days. Not bad for a lot of regular printing but if you only
print periodically the MatterHackers filament is a lot less trouble.

I also had a lot of trouble with the print head jamming and clogging up after a couple of years. It went away when I made one
of the filament lubricators on thingiverse and started lightly lubing with vegetable oil.
Oct 26, 2017, 01:31 PM
I received my CR-10 from Banggood yesterday. Took exactly one week to get it from their US Warehouse.

Amazingly simple to setup and use, I've still got some fine tuning to do with the bed leveling and I suspect my z axis is binding a bit which I'll work on fixing when I get home but for the money I'm absolutely blown away by this thing!
Oct 27, 2017, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.I.Engineer
spend the saved money on simplify3d, you'll thank me eventually.
Couldn't agree more. However, if recommend stepping up to a slightly higher price bracket on the printer. I've got a Power Spec 3D Pro 2 (microcenter rebranded flashforge creator pro) running simplify 3D. You get a printer that sells for over a grand for around 600$ when they're on sale. I've honestly yet to have a failed print due to anything other than user error (running out of filament, rushing the calibration, other PEBKAC errors ).

I know it's easy to recommend a cheap printer to a newbie, but I don't agree. These open bed printers can't do much outside of PLA, either. It's just not worth saving a few hundred bucks to have a glorified figurine printer. With a good printer and proper setup one can print some really solid parts that both look good and are structurally sane. You really do get what you pay for.

Edit: The 3D pro sells for 500$ normally. Only difference is the 2 has a dual head, which is pretty handy.
Latest blog entry: Tracker III Continuation...
Oct 30, 2017, 12:35 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
Love my CR-10. Its been a solid performer for me. I have printed PLA, PLA-HT, Flex filament, and PETG parts with it. It is not without its limitations, but for the price its hard to beat. Plus, with its open and simple design, its easy to mod and upgrade. I'd also recommend looking at using slic3r as a slicer for this printer. Cura works ok, but does some things I'm not crazy about. The slic3r slicer has worked great for printing thin walled wings and other light weight parts.

There is a place in the market for cheap and expensive 3d printers. It doesn't hurt to recommend something inexpensive to a beginner, but make sure to let them know what they are getting into, and what to expect. Plus, it doesn't hurt for people to make their own mistakes and learn, we can't hand hold everyone.
Nov 03, 2017, 03:33 PM
Better alternative for hairspray to stick prints to the bed is glue sticks best brand being pritt stick.
If you want a guaranteed stick mix abs with acetone into a milk like consistency and spray or brush onto the bed.
This will GUARANTEE STICK.
Nov 03, 2017, 03:36 PM
I hate spray cans
Sorry guys I have found Gear best and Bangood the least responsible of places to deal with. Always getting the wrong product or not getting it at all. supposed to get money back, just got a credit they wont accept
Wont buy anything more no matter the price
Nov 03, 2017, 03:51 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
................ Sorry, double post.
Last edited by Buzz; Nov 03, 2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: double post