Dag 60 blade advice - RC Groups
Oct 23, 2017, 05:04 AM
Discussion

Dag 60 blade advice

Hello

I've made these blade blanks for my Dag 60, would it be best to round the leading edge or leave it sharp?

Thanks

Mark.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2017, 08:38 PM
G'day Mark......keep them sharp!
Happy Landings
Chris...
Oct 24, 2017, 05:44 AM
Thanks Chris
Oct 25, 2017, 09:20 AM
The 1st Sofaman
Beautiful profile!
Oct 26, 2017, 04:14 PM
What negative angle on the blades would anyone recommend as a starting point for a Dag 60?
Thanks
Mark.
Oct 27, 2017, 03:53 AM
The 1st Sofaman
Two ways....shim the rotors @1 to 2 degres neg. pitch. The other way is to sand a 45 degree, Under ther TRAILING edge of the rotors. ligtly blend towarards the leading edge.

Dave
Oct 27, 2017, 11:59 AM

sharp leading edge?

Morning

In response to the sharp leading edge question, Chris replies to keep them sharp... ?
So now I'm very curious.. How does this work compared to the rounded leading edge of the AeroBalsa style blades.
Can you run the blades at a less negative pitch? Do they produce more lift at slower speed?

Thanks
Oct 27, 2017, 01:29 PM
I too was curious about that as I've used aerobalsa blades in the past and they have worked very well. I've been having problems getting my Dag 60 to fly which prompted me to make these larger, thicker blades to generate a bit more lift hopefully
Regards
Mark.
Oct 27, 2017, 08:34 PM
The 1st Sofaman
All I can say is that Richard Harris discovered that the sharp leading edge increased speed of the blades....thus more lift. Do as you like.....but for those of us who really try to help, you should listen to the advice.

Dave
Oct 28, 2017, 04:45 AM
Long time ago I downloaded this picture from the this forum here. Sorry, I don`t remember who did this drawing. Maybe it helps answer your question.
Oct 28, 2017, 08:05 AM
The 1st Sofaman
I believe Richard Harris made that. I shows my blades with undernieth trailing edge sanded. When wind is pushed under the blades, the sanded trailing edge actually moves the blade forward. Think about this.....if your blade is flat with sanded trailing edge....it can only go one way and that would be forward. Steve Tilson was doing years ago. I have continued the process.

Remember one thing....no matter how sharp looking your fuselage is, your blades are the only very important thing that allows you to fly.

Dave
Last edited by Sofaman NJ; Oct 28, 2017 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Spelling is horrible! LOL
Oct 28, 2017, 03:31 PM
Hello Ralph W
Your diagram is very interesting and explains a lot, thanks. A picture is worth a thousand words!
Last edited by Apollomark; Oct 28, 2017 at 04:05 PM.
Oct 29, 2017, 04:51 AM

Dag 60 blade advice

Here is a video of my DAG 60 flying on a calm day, 5 mph wind.
RC autogyro. Tims DAG 60 (3 min 19 sec)

The blades where made by AJ Blades, they are Bass leading edge and balsa main, reformed ClarkY, as per Rich Harris etc, no shim, no tip weight, model weighs in at 14 lb rtf. Apart from the unreliability of DLE 20, (now on the second carb), which is why the cowl is off, the biggest issue is stopping the blades spinning on landing in anything but a very light breeze. Due to the inertia and physical size they are lethal.
My suggestion to anyone building the DAG 60 or 120 would be to make the head control a full Delta like the RH Panther. Alternatively design and make a rotor brake. If anyone in the UK wants a set of these blades they can be machines providing you are prepared to make the blanks and get them to John.
Oct 31, 2017, 06:31 PM
How much would it cost for a set of four blades please?
Great video, hope mine will fly like that soon.
I thought about some kind of wooden stick to jack the back end off the ground and flatten the blade disk to help slow them from spinning on landing, do you think this would be any use?
Thanks
Mark.
Last edited by Apollomark; Oct 31, 2017 at 06:36 PM.
Nov 01, 2017, 12:16 AM
G'Day Mark
I can remember reading in the "Autogyros of Arizona" hand book written by Steve Tilson, that you should always have a piece of cloth hanging out of you back pocket for the purpose of being able to toss it onto the disc ..to slow it down.....it works.
You may require a "large piece"for your model.
Happy Landings
Chris...