10 size Kaos - RC Groups
Oct 23, 2017, 12:07 AM
A man with a plan
Build Log

10 size Kaos

I shrank the RCM Super Kaos plan to 60% for a 35" wingspan, and I cut it out on the laser cutter. I decided that I should go ahead and build one, although I'm pretty sure it's not my favorite flying style. I'll get my flying buddy Xu to fly it for me. He's crazy enough to fly anything.

I'm planning to power this plane with an OS 10 FSR. Should be plenty of power. My main concern is getting the tank set up right for good fuel pickup in any position. Typically the pickup line in a tiny tank is too stiff, but I have a couple of ideas that I can try, to make sure the engine doesn't die during inverted flight.

I started with the fuselage. I cut the sides and top to be flush with the front of the fire wall, so I can build whatever kind of cowl I need later from balsa.
Last edited by Balsaworkbench; Oct 23, 2017 at 01:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2017, 12:08 AM
A man with a plan
Now it's ready for the 1/16" sheet on the bottom. Next up is the wing.
Oct 23, 2017, 01:53 AM
A man with a plan
I cut out shear webs to set the rib spacing and angle. I have the wing on a wing jig, so all I had to do was put the web in there and push the ribs together. After I glued the bottom spar in place I flipped it over and added the top spar.
Oct 23, 2017, 08:57 AM
This Will be great! I'm looking forward to seeing this done. I shrunk a .20 sized tweedy bird to 36" and built it for my son. It took a OS Max .10 and flew really well with good vertical and very stable. This should fly similar.

Mike
Last edited by gmwahl; Oct 23, 2017 at 02:40 PM.
Oct 23, 2017, 10:02 AM
A man with a plan
There's not a lot of wing area on this plane, so I'm concerned about the wing loading. But we have a big, wide open flying area so it should be possible to get the job done even if landing has to be at high speed.

I'm glad to hear that you already did a similar project that turned out well. The Global Birdie 10 was supposedly for a .10 engine and it had a lot more wing. But that just didn't seem exactly right to me.
Oct 23, 2017, 10:18 AM
There was a 1/2A design back in the day called a Mini Kaos, someone here may have seen one flying.
Perhaps even modified with a firewall pushed back to fit a TD .09
Oct 23, 2017, 10:42 AM
A man with a plan
There's the Half-A Chaos from RCM, but it has a a semi symmentrical airfoil for greater lift. I haven't seen the Mini Kaos. I wonder if it has a symmetrical airfoil.
Oct 23, 2017, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench
There's not a lot of wing area on this plane, so I'm concerned about the wing loading. But we have a big, wide open flying area so it should be possible to get the job done even if landing has to be at high speed.

I'm glad to hear that you already did a similar project that turned out well. The Global Birdie 10 was supposedly for a .10 engine and it had a lot more wing. But that just didn't seem exactly right to me.
I've had two Birdie 10s and they were rock solid fliers, but the first one had a magnum .10 to start and it was pretty severely underpowered so I swapped an OS .15 on to the nose and it flew great after that, but still a bit underpowered for my taste considering I was using it as a small pattern ship to practice the pattern with (I fly at 4500-6000 feet in the Rockies). When that one bit the dust I built another and put a Thunder Tiger .25 on it and it was a match made in heaven! Tight fit, but it worked and flew perfectly.

I'm thinking your .10 will be just about right considering what the original design was meant to fly like.

Mike
Oct 24, 2017, 04:38 AM
Will be watching your build , I wanted to build one around 40" wingspan for .25 engine, even started with a plan but as usual left it halfway.
Oct 24, 2017, 06:00 PM
Rough Landing
You can solve the small tank thick fuel line problem by going to Sig and buying Thin Wall Surgical Tubing. Copy their link never works for me because it always take you to the main page. In the menu look under aircraft accessories, fuel system, fuel line. This stuff is super flexible and will allow the clunk to flop over in the tank for inverted flight. This stuff works so good, I use it in 1 oz tanks. Not cheap, but well worth it.
Oct 24, 2017, 06:46 PM
A man with a plan
Thanks for the tip. I'll look it up.
Oct 24, 2017, 06:51 PM
BALSAWORKBENCH! Would it be possible to get a copy of your shrunk Kaos plans.??
Reason is: I have a granddaughter that has asked for an airplane smaller than what I have now to hang in her room - something I built. Though she did not say so, I believe she wants something that I built for after my building/flying days are over.
We know Joe Bridi, so one of his designs is the obvious choice. Joe has lost most of his eyesight, and is now in a home close to San Jose CA. I am in Santa Ana, too far to visit, but my granddaughter calls him when she comes over - I am sure Joe would rather talk to a college age girl than talk to me. In spite of the century difference in age, they became friends years ago.
I will pay of copying and postage if you can arrange this for us. Thanks EloyM@twc.com
You will find me in old issues of MB, RCM, MAN, etc.
Oct 24, 2017, 07:56 PM
Found this on the net. Would be neat to make a 4 ch TD .020 Kaos with a throttle sleeve.
Last edited by Amp Abuser; Oct 24, 2017 at 08:27 PM.
Oct 24, 2017, 08:30 PM
A man with a plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EloyM
BALSAWORKBENCH! Would it be possible to get a copy of your shrunk Kaos plans.??
It would be great to be able to talk to some of the pioneers of RC. It's a whole different world nowadays.

The plan is this one: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5523 I don't have access to a large printer. Ask RC Groups member Hemikiller to print it for you at 60% for a 35" wingspan, if you want to build the same plane I'm building.
Oct 24, 2017, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench
It would be great to be able to talk to some of the pioneers of RC. It's a whole different world nowadays.

The plan is this one: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5523 I don't have access to a large printer. Ask RC Groups member Hemikiller to print it for you at 60% for a 35" wingspan, if you want to build the same plane I'm building.
If hemikiller can't do it then I can print it if needed as well. I have a 36" printer/plotter and can help a guy out if needed.

Mike