Oct 22, 2017, 08:34 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Earn Horizon Hobby Credit - Work with Horizon from Home!!

Howdy all,

I work with Horizon Hobby's online chat services. Looking to add some new members to the team. You can work as little or as much as you want, at hours of your own choosing. In return, I get compensated in Horizon stuff, or in points I can use elsewhere.
More info on my blog here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rom-Home%21%21

Hobby on!!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2017, 10:14 PM
The Mad Titan
What exactly is the "compensation" towards HH stuff? Your vague description of this key aspect leads me (and probably others) to think it's not worth the effort to even apply.
Oct 22, 2017, 10:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138 View Post
What exactly is the "compensation" towards HH stuff? Your vague description of this key aspect leads me (and probably others) to think it's not worth the effort to even apply.
Gotcha, no worries. Let me break down how the system works.

We get compensated based on performance statistics in three-hour segments. These include the amount of sales we contribute towards, the amount of customers we handle, the amount of questions we ask, how quickly we respond, our customers review us, etc.

Once you are done with the three hour block, you are told the amount of points that you have earned. For conversion purposes, you can multiply the amount of points you earn by .005, which results in the total dollar amount of HH credit you have,

So how much can you earn in a segment?

A lot of it depends on how well you perform. I'll give you an example from the last segment I finished, where I earned 14,440 points. That multiplied by .005 comes out to $72.20, or about $24 bucks an hour. Not bad.

My lowest segment has been around 8,000 points, which is equivalent to about $13.33 per hour. Still not bad.

After you complete 24 three-hour segments, you get a bonus. Mine was worth 24,500 points or about $120, so you can factor that into things as well.

All in all its a pretty awesome gig. Keep the questions coming and thanks for asking!!
Oct 23, 2017, 12:17 PM
-insert witty saying here-
Is there an option to be paid in cash via check?
Oct 23, 2017, 01:17 PM
Falcon's rc
Since the pay is with products do you have to pay the full retail price of the product you want to get or do you get a discount of any kind (if so, how much)
Oct 23, 2017, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
Is there an option to be paid in cash via check?
Kind of. Instead of using your points to receive HH items, you can put it towards visa cash gift cards.
Oct 23, 2017, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielMadrigal View Post
Since the pay is with products do you have to pay the full retail price of the product you want to get or do you get a discount of any kind (if so, how much)
You do pay retail, however there is no shipping or tax charge.
Oct 23, 2017, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixus View Post
Kind of. Instead of using your points to receive HH items, you can put it towards visa cash gift cards.
... and what's the redemption ratio for a Visa gift card? You state in your other post that the merchandise credit value is .005 per point.

Would it be safe to assume there would be a 1099 in the mail come January?
Oct 23, 2017, 03:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
... and what's the redemption ratio for a Visa gift card? You state in your other post that the merchandise credit value is .005 per point.

Would it be safe to assume there would be a 1099 in the mail come January?
Redemption for Visa cards is the lowest at a factor of .0025. However, you can redeem points towards other gift cards (Target, Walmart, Amazon, etc) at about .004.

There are several other brands in the .005 category and lots in the .004.

Regarding the 1099 you are correct. We are independent contractors and pay taxes accordingly.
Oct 23, 2017, 04:23 PM
The Mad Titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixus View Post
Redemption for Visa cards is the lowest at a factor of .0025. However, you can redeem points towards other gift cards (Target, Walmart, Amazon, etc) at about .004.

There are several other brands in the .005 category and lots in the .004.

Regarding the 1099 you are correct. We are independent contractors and pay taxes accordingly.
Thanks for the in depth reply. Does a 1099 come when compensated in merchandise as well?
Oct 23, 2017, 04:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138 View Post
Thanks for the in depth reply. Does a 1099 come when compensated in merchandise as well?
No worries, I'm happy to answer any and all questions. Thank you for asking them.

The value of merchandise you are compensated in is reflected in your 1099 to the best of my knowledge. To be perfectly honest with you, joined in the spring so I have not gotten a 1099 yet as those come at the end of the year. That being said if you had any more specific questions about compensation and taxes that I don't have the answer to, I'll check with my manager to get something definitive for you.
Oct 24, 2017, 01:24 AM
resU deretsigeR
So, you want to pay me in product, and slam me with taxes at the end of the year? Hm.....sounds so good, if it actually had a paycheck. But really, in product, and a 1099? Wow, and people do this? I suppose for some kids and teenagers, this might be OK. But then your quality of service just sucks. And you can better believe, that 1099 will reflect as high as retail as possible for items. Its a great scam by this company. What they get to use as write off is sooooo inflated by this scheme. And you, the little guy, pays their taxes.......ya, hobby on all right, suckers are born every day........
Last edited by LDGILLS; Oct 24, 2017 at 08:01 AM.
Oct 24, 2017, 07:54 AM
I was thinking the same thing as LDGILLS. Run their chat support service through a third party provider, pay in product which 95% comes from China. If you use a standard manufacturing metric, you set your MSRP around 4X your cost to produce and discount from there. They vary the redemption rate because their cost varies tremendously by whether it's a house brand or they are just a distributor. It's a great deal for Horizon, since you work for around $5/hr their cost, if not less if you take house brand product.

If you want to be paid in "cash", you get stuck with a Visa gift card, which probably has a transaction fee so you lose another piece of your "reward".

This stinks about as badly as their Horizon Club.
Oct 24, 2017, 09:05 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild, repeat
You guys could just, you know, not do it.

You aren't going to get rich off this thing, But look at how much time we spend on this forum dishing out free advice. Now you can take that same advice and get paid for it. Sure, they are paying you peanuts (to them), but you are getting paid in airplanes, or cars, or whatever. What's so bad about that?

I don't have time to do it with a family and work, but if you were retired and into hobby stuff, it could be a good way to fund your hobby addiction. Spend a few hours per night dishing out help, which you were already doing on these forums anyways. After a week, a "free" FPV drone shows up at your door.
Oct 24, 2017, 10:48 AM
resU deretsigeR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
You guys could just, you know, not do it.

You aren't going to get rich off this thing, But look at how much time we spend on this forum dishing out free advice. Now you can take that same advice and get paid for it. Sure, they are paying you peanuts (to them), but you are getting paid in airplanes, or cars, or whatever. What's so bad about that?

I don't have time to do it with a family and work, but if you were retired and into hobby stuff, it could be a good way to fund your hobby addiction. Spend a few hours per night dishing out help, which you were already doing on these forums anyways. After a week, a "free" FPV drone shows up at your door.
Whats so bad about it?? Very likely you could find out at tax time. When they show you got paid 2 grand or whatever, and thats for probally 1200 in merchandise, and now that 2 grand, that keep in mind, you never actually got, just cost you lord knows how much because it takes you to another bracket.
Now, if you dont work, your a kid, your retired (and beyond the point they take dollar for dollar from you on your SS), then maybe...but your still paying taxes on an inflated income, that you never saw. You are being taxed on a BARTERED system. And no way in hell, am I paying taxes on anything I horse swap. And, if you have no problem with that, then there is no problem whatsoever. Want to pay me on performance? Then lets talk commission......
Latest blog entry: My TR-260 second flight.

Quick Reply