This thread is privately moderated by decreale, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 22, 2017, 05:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Laminate

Does anyone know a place to purchase laminate for a foam wing. Can you use any laminate.
As I discovered laminate is everywhere and it comes in different millimeters. I now have tried three options on my planes. Laminate, Ecokote which is monokote for foam planes and StyroSpray 1000. Laminate is inexpensive and comes on a large roll. You most likely will not use it all. I found most of my friends used the laminate on their flying wings. It provides a strong bond easy to put on with an iron. If you are interested in painting your plane, I don’t think that will work with laminate although I have not tried it. Ecokote I used this to put 2 stripes on my wings. Went on easy you must use low heat 107C. It goes around curves easily and you can get creative decorating the plane. Finally StyroSpray 1000, it’s a water based chemical that you can put on your foam plane. There are two chemicals you mix a 1:1 ratio . You use a sponge roller to apply it. You don’t need a lot on the plane . What it does it creates a HARD shell over the foam and does not add any significant weight to the plane . You must use a water based primer before applying the product . I used Kill-Z from Home Depot. The nice thing about this is the hard shell affect and you can use any paint to decorate your plane. I used Krylon Fusion . I going with the Styro Spray 1000. Easy to put on don’t have to worry about tight curves and hard to get to places on the plane. With the styro spray just paint and paint some more. Styro spray 1000 does have an odor so don’t use it in the house and pay attention to the instruction videos . You must wear protective rubber or latex gloves. Don’t get it on your skin
Last edited by decreale; Nov 17, 2017 at 07:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply