Iron on fabric covering? - RC Groups
Oct 22, 2017, 03:20 PM
Question

Iron on fabric covering?

what are you guys using for a iron on fabric look covering.. looking to do a Bud Nosen Citabria..
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2017, 03:50 PM
Mumbling in the corner.
My plan is to use Solartex from Balsa USA.
I'm going to do the PT60 with it to learn to work with it, and then do the Elder 40 with it. I haven't actually used it yet, though.
http://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/1322.htm
Oct 22, 2017, 06:28 PM
Solartex or Ceconite work well. If Ceconite you must provide the adhesive and paint.
Oct 23, 2017, 07:12 AM
What Adhesive would you use with the Ceconite?
Oct 23, 2017, 07:49 AM
ARFs Are Me
For my models, I choose Natural Solartex.

It requires no filling of the weave, nor does it require primer.

Most paints can be used over it. I've used automotive paints, like PPG and NASON, but my preference is Rustoleum.

Solartex has an adhesive, but I enhance the adhesion by spraying the air frame with Aqua Net hair spray.

The pre-colored Solartex is fuel proof, but I don't think you would be happy with it, without sealing it with a clear coat. The unsealed product tends to attract dirt.

I would suggest that your Citabria is a perfect candidate for Natural Solartex and a Rustoleum paint job.

Here's a pic of my recently completed Cub, covered in that manner and painted with Rustoleum aerosol cans.
Oct 23, 2017, 09:44 AM
NIce !
Oct 23, 2017, 01:56 PM
I use uncertified light aircraft fabric for my rag wing planes. Put it down with Randolph dope then finish/paint with more dope. You can buy it relatively inexpensively at Aircraft Spruce and Specialty.

carl
Oct 23, 2017, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane42
What Adhesive would you use with the Ceconite?
Nitrate dope is probably best. You can get it at most private airports or from several hobby sources, Aircraft Spruce being one of them as well as a source for Ceconite. One of the nice things about Ceconite is that you can get it in very long rolls, I do not know the maximum but that sure helps on large planes. It is also a full meter wide, not the 36 inch on so many of the iron on films.
Oct 24, 2017, 11:52 AM
San Antonio TX.
My vote is also for Ceconite, along with poly dope, poly spray and poly tone, had real good results over the years both in covering models and full scale. Been buying from Aircraft Spruce for nearly 40 years now, great folks to work with.

Bob
Last edited by sensei; Oct 24, 2017 at 11:58 AM.
Nov 02, 2017, 09:55 PM
similar to above

I really love Stits Lite which is applied with Poly-tak, the Poly Brush to fill weave and Poly spray for base/UV (on full scale). Poly Tone colors/paint then added. Poly Tone paints have great pigment, spray wonderful and majority material evaporates in cure. Just like the scales. More work but if looking for scale look, its great

it shrinks dang near any curve you throw at it, does beautiful fillets in cloth. will never sag. you can add pin tape and simulated stitching.

be glad to share covering pics of a recent Robinhood 99 that I completed in the stits/poly sytem
Nov 03, 2017, 05:55 AM
San Antonio TX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagwingFan
similar to above

I really love Stits Lite which is applied with Poly-tak, the Poly Brush to fill weave and Poly spray for base/UV (on full scale). Poly Tone colors/paint then added. Poly Tone paints have great pigment, spray wonderful and majority material evaporates in cure. Just like the scales. More work but if looking for scale look, its great

it shrinks dang near any curve you throw at it, does beautiful fillets in cloth. will never sag. you can add pin tape and simulated stitching.

be glad to share covering pics of a recent Robinhood 99 that I completed in the stits/poly sytem
Sure, l would love to see them.

Bob
Last edited by sensei; Nov 03, 2017 at 03:40 PM.
Nov 03, 2017, 12:14 PM
San Antonio TX.
Very, very nice! The only way to go in my opinion...

Bob
Last edited by sensei; Nov 03, 2017 at 03:52 PM.
Nov 03, 2017, 01:33 PM
Thanks Bob

I have done majority of coverings over the years. Monokote, Century 21 pre-painted fabrics, old Coverite Supershrink (loved that stuff) and then tried Stits lite on my Stinson. Hooked immediately. I still need to try Solartex and then paint. Apparently great stuff as well.