Oct 22, 2017, 11:15 AM
Thread OP
Question

SPRACINGF3EVO No response from bootloader

I have a FrSky XMPF3E controller -- basically an SPRACINGF3EVO controller with built-in receiver -- currently running Betaflight 3.1.7 and flying successfully, except that I can't get rid of up-and-down pumping when I activate BARO mode. I've read that it's a known problem with Betaflight v3.1.x so I've tried to flash the latest Betaflight 3.2.1 and failed

The problem is that after I've loaded the 3.2.1 SPRACINGF3EVO firmware (online) and clicked on Flash Firmware, I get a "No response from the bootloader. Programming: FAILED" message. I've read articles, posts in this forum, and viewed videos on the subject, but they all seem to say the same thing, namely install the Zadig driver. I did that a while back, and have re-done it today ("successfully installed"), but still no response from bootloader.

My board connects to the Betaflight Configurator okay, reporting that it's COM5, and the baud rate is 115200. My operating system is Windows 10.

I've tried reducing the baud rate, and I've tried "Flash on contact". When I do that, and plug in the USB lead from the controller, I get the message "Detected COM5 -- triggering flash on contact", but nothing seems to happen. Since both the Configurator and the Firmware Flasher confirm that they're using COM5, does that surely no mean that it's not a driver problem?

Any suggestions please?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2017, 01:38 PM
The original spf3 evo uses cp210x uart to USB driver for both configuration and flashing. No Zadig driver needed.
Have you tried shorten the boot headers to enter bootloader mode?

I can't say whether the Frsky is the same or not.
Oct 22, 2017, 10:28 PM
Staring at it won't fix it.
For flashing the F3 Evo, try selecting Manual baud rate and 230400. For connecting to the configurator use 115200
Oct 23, 2017, 02:37 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for those replies. I'll try the different baud rate later today -- I'm currently using the default 115200 for configurator and flashing, and I've already tried a slower rate for flashing.

I'll have to remove the board from the quad to get at the bootloader pins, so I'll try with the different baud rate first.

I'm pretty sure I've already flashed this board once, for the vendor's ad says it was flashed 3.0, so it must have been me who flashed it to 3.1.7, and I didn't use the bootloader pins. Anyway, seems like that's the most likely solution.
Oct 23, 2017, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn
Thanks for those replies. I'll try the different baud rate later today -- I'm currently using the default 115200 for configurator and flashing, and I've already tried a slower rate for flashing.

I'll have to remove the board from the quad to get at the bootloader pins, so I'll try with the different baud rate first.

I'm pretty sure I've already flashed this board once, for the vendor's ad says it was flashed 3.0, so it must have been me who flashed it to 3.1.7, and I didn't use the bootloader pins. Anyway, seems like that's the most likely solution.
Try downloading the upgrade to your computer first then flash your board from the download and not from the website..😁
Oct 23, 2017, 06:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson006
Try downloading the upgrade to your computer first then flash your board from the download and not from the website..😁
I thought about that, but I couldn't figure out where the upgrade file is on the internet. I'll browse some more this afternoon to find it.
Oct 23, 2017, 08:02 AM
Thread OP
Success, thank you!

Changing the baud rate and flashing from local source didn't help.

When I disassembled my quad, to get at the board, I found that there's a boot button, rather than a pair of jumper pins that seems to be shown in the instruction leaflet. Holding that down and flashing with the board already plugged into the USB socket didn't work, but holding it down while plugging it in, and continuing to hold it while flashing, did work. So I'm now on Betaflight 3.2.1.
Oct 23, 2017, 09:01 AM
Great. To get into bootloader mode, you are suppose to hold the button while plugging in the USB. Once the board boots up, you can let go of button.
Oct 23, 2017, 01:27 PM
Thread OP
Thanks voodoo614. So it'll be even easier next time around
Oct 23, 2017, 05:23 PM
If everything is correct, you actually don't need to force boot loader mode to flash firmware.
Oct 24, 2017, 02:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo614
If everything is correct, you actually don't need to force boot loader mode to flash firmware.
That's what I thought. I've just flashed a new Omnibus F4 with iNAV today, using the same PC and same USB cable, without having to short any pins or press a button.

So, what kind of thing might be wrong that made me have to do that with my FrSky F3 board?
Oct 24, 2017, 09:40 AM
To be honest, I really don't know. One possibility is when you have a newer configurator that isn't compatible with the old firmware on the FC. Only a theory though.
Apr 10, 2018, 09:01 AM
Thread OP
Back to square one!

My iNAV configurator is now v.1.9.2, and it doesn't allow me to use the accelerometer or compass calibration features with my SPRacing F3 EVO board running iNAV 1.8.0, so I want to upgrade my board to iNAV 1.9.0 (I had a similar problem with my Omnibus board, and upgrading it to iNAV 1.9.0 solved it). But once again I've got the 'No response from bootloader problem', and holding the bootloader button on the board while plugging it into the USB port is not working for me this time.

Without the bootloader button pressed my board is showing a solid red light and a flashing blue one when I plug into the USB port. With the button pressed I get a solid red and a solid green, as well as the flashing blue. The red and green lights are Rx status (it's an integrated board) and the blue is FC Status, but I can't see what flashing blue signifies.

The board is flying successfully except that it's toilet-bowling in position-hold mode, which is the only reason I want to recalibrate. It connects to the iNAV configurator okay. So any suggestions what else I can try to get it to flash, please?

Edit: For the moment I've installed iNAV Configurator 1.8.1 for Windows, and that allows me to calibrate my sensors. I like Configurator 1.9.x's method of accelerometer calibration better, but I'll have to stay with iNAV 1.8 firmware in my flight controller until I sort out this bootloader problem.
Last edited by abenn; Apr 10, 2018 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply