Do I need higher discharge battery for a upgraded motor? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 21, 2017, 05:20 PM
Discussion

Do I need higher discharge battery for a upgraded motor?

Hi guys I'm trying to upgrade my bixler 2 with a 2200kv outrunner motor, the batteries I been using is 25-35c discharge, is it neccesary to get new higher discharge rate battery or I'll get by using with what I have?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2017, 07:56 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaahhhh
Hi guys I'm trying to upgrade my bixler 2 with a 2200kv outrunner motor, the batteries I been using is 25-35c discharge, is it neccesary to get new higher discharge rate battery or I'll get by using with what I have?
Not enough information to give an answer. Exactly what motor are you upgrading to?
Oct 21, 2017, 08:07 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Depends on the amp draw of the motor and the mAh of the battery . For example : if the motor draws 30A ( max ) :
for a 500mAh ( .5 Ah ) battery , you would need 60c ...... .5 x 60 = 30 .
for a 1000 mAh ( 1Ah ) battery , you would need 30c ...... 1 x 30 = 30 .
for a 2000 mAh ( 2Ah ) battery , you would need 15c ...... 2 x 15 = 30 .
Oct 21, 2017, 09:11 PM
An electric drive system is a function of motor (several factors), AUW, and prop pitch and diameter. For example your Q might be answered by adjusting for C, or prop pitch or diameter.

If you think you might get further into modifying things, or any scratchbuilding, I strongly suggest subscribing to ecalc.ch. The 'free' version shows only a limited number of variables, but even with that you'll get an idea of how awesomely useful it is.

I'll run the numbers for you. Please name the manufacturer/model of the existing motor, your intended upgrade motor, AUW, battery cells and C that you have now, and prop pitch and diameter.

Oh, also name ESC specs! You might upgrade motor past -it's- capability, and smoke it on the first launch!

No I am not an employee or shill just an enthusiastic fan of the site. I use it frequently for any mod or scratchbuild. The numbers it returns are always within 5% of measured values.
Oct 21, 2017, 09:12 PM
Was considering turnigy 2826-6 2200kv, with a 40a esc... so my current battery is sufficient then
Oct 22, 2017, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Was considering turnigy 2826-6 2200kv, with a 40a esc... so my current battery is sufficient then
What's the current motor, and prop numbers?
Oct 24, 2017, 09:01 AM
We don't need no stinkin' tail
Quote:
Yep. I use that motor all the time with a 6x4/6x5.5 prop and 2200mAh batts. My batts are 20C, which works fine, but I wouldn't want to try anything lower than that.

Note that my batts are rated for 44A discharge, which is above the 20-25 that the motor draws. But you also have to think about voltage drop.
When you draw power, the voltage of the battery temporarily falls, with my setup by maybe 0.1V/cell at the most. So a smaller amp rating batt will give you less power when you pour on the coals, and get a bit sketchier towards the end of the flight.
Nov 01, 2017, 09:33 PM
Quote:
You'll be fine.

Only up to x prop will fit and a minimum of x battery will balance. Yes 4s too.
Nov 02, 2017, 01:20 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
When doing the math, it's overly optimistic to assume the battery will deliver CxAH. Labeling abuse is a common practice. Give yourself 50% to 100% margin over that number if you don't want the battery to possibly be the limiting factor. Or even better, use an IR meter and the "real C" calculator discussed in the Battery Forum.

Note that if the battery is the limiting factor, you'll be regularly pushing it hard which may result in early puffing and early demise.