Turbine RC UH-1 Huey versus the real thing - RC Groups
Oct 21, 2017, 10:14 AM
Discussion

Turbine RC UH-1 Huey versus the real thing

Two different type of helicopter pilots, one flies full scale and the other flies turbine RC. They both own and love the HUEY helicopter. See this iconic bird in a different light.
Turbine RC UH-1 Huey versus the real thing (11 min 57 sec)

The question is, how quickly you think it'd take you a scale rc pilot learn how to fly the real thing?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2017, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevens
Two different type of helicopter pilots, one flies full scale and the other flies turbine RC. They both own and love the HUEY helicopter. See this iconic bird in a different light.

The question is, how quickly you think it'd take you a scale rc pilot learn how to fly the real thing?
That's awesome, fantastic video! As for the question, I know it took a couple of years for this full scale heli pilot to get the hang of the RC side..
Oct 24, 2017, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by F106DeltaDart
That's awesome, fantastic video! As for the question, I know it took a couple of years for this full scale heli pilot to get the hang of the RC side..
As a matter of fact, the scale pilot can not fly the rc, he said he has to learn how to. Feel free to leave a message on youtube. Thanks for watching the video.
Oct 24, 2017, 12:04 PM
Quote:
As a matter of fact, the scale pilot can not fly the rc, he said he has to learn how to. Feel free to leave a message on youtube. Thanks for watching the video.
I was actually referring to my own experiences there, but it's cool that thispilot is interested in learning as well!
Oct 24, 2017, 12:09 PM
Quote:
I was actually referring to my own experiences there, but it's cool that thispilot is interested in learning as well!
So you fly the full scale and RC, great. Has the rc flying thought you any new tricks when flying scale?
Oct 25, 2017, 04:31 PM
Quote:
So you fly the full scale and RC, great. Has the rc flying thought you any new tricks when flying scale?
I wouldn't say its taught me any new tricks, but the differences are interesting. I am used to controlling throttle and collective separately, whearas in RC (and most full-scale helis) RPM is governed. The energy management is also totally different. In the full scale, you have to add in power early on landing to help slow your descent. In RC, that tends to bring your approach to a dead stop early, at least with the 500s.
Oct 25, 2017, 04:36 PM
Quote:
I wouldn't say its taught me any new tricks, but the differences are interesting. I am used to controlling throttle and collective separately, whearas in RC (and most full-scale helis) RPM is governed. The energy management is also totally different. In the full scale, you have to add in power early on landing to help slow your descent. In RC, that tends to bring your approach to a dead stop early, at least with the 500s.
Great insight. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me.