Ron Chidgey Tiger Tail - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 21, 2017, 08:32 AM
Discussion

Ron Chidgey Tiger Tail

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to build a TT this winter and was wondering if anybody has a NIB kit they'd be willing to part with. If not, then I'll go for an Eureka Aircraft short kit. Next question is, if nobody has a kit, does anybody happen to have a TT canopy? When I build the TT I want it to be as close to original as possible. I would send it to park flyer plastics and have a mold made so the canopy would be available for all modelers. I have done this many times and the donor would receive a new canopy.

Looking forward to some help guys! TIA!!

R
Last edited by imodel; Oct 21, 2017 at 08:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2017, 09:18 AM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
If I remember correctly I think it used a Debolt WWII canopy. The best match I've found to the Debolt is the Sig WWII canopy.

Mike
Oct 21, 2017, 09:22 AM
Correct on the original canopy. Thanks for the Sig lead Mike, I'll check it out.

R
Oct 21, 2017, 09:48 AM
Rick,

From what I've been able to see, it looks very much like a P51 canopy and the one that has struck me like the best fit is this one:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F390254954815

Probably also available from Tower.

I'm not sure about dimensions re the TT but it does work well on the TT4.

Good luck and show us your progress!

David
Oct 21, 2017, 10:14 AM
Hey David,

That's a pretty good looking substitute! I was also looking at park flyers plastics selection and the T2A canopy would also probably work, and its length is about right. Without having a set of plans on hand, nearest I can figure is the original canopy is about 15" long. PFP T2A canopy is 14" long, so that's a pretty good fit.

R
Oct 21, 2017, 02:03 PM
Rick,

I found that the TT's have the stand out feature of the molded canopy lines common on WWII canopies. Hence the P51 canopy. If the canopy is going to be left clear then, their absence becomes more apparent. Of course, another option is to paint the canopy lines if one uses a smooth type like the T2A canopy.

It's the same sort of feature that I find distinguishes a P8 and an EU-1A from their predecessors and other classics.

The P51 canopy I linked is 16" which makes it just slightly longer than the TT original but just right for the TT4. 14-16" length I'm sure is hard to tell apart. The main thing is the width. I think most of the TT's are about 3.5" wide at the canopy location.

David
Oct 21, 2017, 06:40 PM
AMA 2680
Give this a try from a differnet thread.
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...index&cPath=46
Oct 21, 2017, 07:28 PM
Ed, went through PFP canopies today and there's a couple canopies that'll work.

R
Oct 21, 2017, 09:08 PM
Brighto?
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8522

Canopy measures about 12.25 inches.
Last edited by Mike Denest; Oct 21, 2017 at 09:13 PM.
Oct 21, 2017, 09:08 PM
AMA 2680
Glad to help. I remembered this site when some one else was in the same way. I now keep it in my bookmarks.
Oct 22, 2017, 09:54 AM
I got a Sig WWII canopy for my TT. Looks really nice.

carl
Oct 22, 2017, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Canopy measures about 12.25 inches.
Mike,

How did you come up with that number? Do you have a set of full-size plans?

R
Oct 22, 2017, 04:34 PM
Bo Edström, Sweden
Check out as said Park Flyer Plastics if they have any canopy that can be similar to Tiger Tail canopy (they do not have a Tiger Tail canopy but they have really a lot of canopies).
Their canopies are very good quality. I have sent two original canopies to them to get more canopies made (and also so other people can get a copy from them) so I know the canopies they make are top quality.

/Bo
Oct 22, 2017, 06:53 PM
For those who don't know, Rick (imodel) is (and has been) the main source of original classic canopies at PFP. So all good advice but you will note he mentioned PFP in his first or second post and is well aware of them.

Just thought I'd clarify for all.

David
Oct 22, 2017, 07:12 PM
I have the canopy, still attached to its part of the top deck, that was on a scratch built TT from about 25 years ago. I'm out of town until Thursday/Friday but can post a pic and it's measurements if interested. I'm a big TT fan, it was my first .69 sized pattern plane the summer of "77"!
Mark