Oct 21, 2017, 06:34 AM
Thread OP
Idea

I got an alternator to work as a motor. could I make an E-bike with it?

I got it to work with an ESC and simply took the metal grill off to solder the ESC wires to some short extension wires with some bullet connectors on them)

plugged all 3 brush windings into ESC

used 12v NIMH pack to test (with 10A fuse for safety just incase)
and a servo tester to control motor/alternator speed

and I applied about 800mA constant current to the field windings. and it spins great! lots of torque too! Impossible to stop it by hand when its past 1/3 throttle (will rip itself out of your hand instantly and it doesn't even slow down when you grip it)

I have a 30A ESC
the alternator is rated for 30A and I doubt i would need to draw that much
I have a 12v 5AH AGM SLA/PB battery which I think would work great with it. (plenty of power and would last plenty long enough)
and my bike is well suited for it as well. I was thinking of a slightly lossy setup so the motor has some amount of slip (to get it turning when i'm at a stop) with either a fan or small wheel going on the bike tire.

My only issue is how do I mount all of the stuff to the bike?? I haven't got any welding stuff of any kind. and no screws to screw anything into the bike or drill bits to drill into it with.

The only thing I really have is duct tape. and I know for sure that would be a catastrophic disaster

but I'm just wondering could it be done??

The closest I can get is turning my bike upside down. and spinning the back wheel with the alternator flywheel pully rubbing against the bike tire like a dummy. lol
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply