Spinner bushings for Cox engines? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 21, 2017, 01:33 AM
Discussion

Spinner bushings for Cox engines?

Hi all, can someone tell me where to get a backplate bushing for the plastic spinners like Dubro that will fit a Cox Black widow ? The plastic spinners arent packaged with a bushing to fit the small screw for the prop. I have looked everywhere I can think of and cant find a bushing this small, if all else fails I guess I can fabricate one. What are you guys doing to get around this? Thanks in advance for any help here. Benji
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2017, 02:24 AM
Fuel tubing is your friend.
Oct 21, 2017, 04:05 AM
Wow! Theres gotta be an easier way! Lol. Thanks Amp Abuser, I never would have thought of that. I remember the days when manufacturers actually made spinners for 1/2A. Thanks again!
Oct 21, 2017, 08:16 AM
MP jet makes some very nice aluminium spinners that fits both their .061 engine as well as the Norvel .074 etc.

Mecoa still have some small spinners too, these comes with the nut etc. that are needed for the Cox engines.
Oct 21, 2017, 08:13 PM
Thanks surfer kris, I'll check them out too! I didnt know they were e en still in business! Thanks again guys!
Oct 24, 2017, 11:04 PM
Rough Landing
Will these work?

https://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-plast...hub-white.html
Oct 24, 2017, 11:49 PM
What bites with those is the blade cut out's are huge.

Wish they would sell them uncut as an option so we could custom
fit to our choice of prop to reduce the eye sore and a ton of drag.
Oct 26, 2017, 09:48 PM
Hey rainyday, yup those will work to. There used to be a pretty good selection from all the major hobby manufacturers for half A. Sad that theyre gone now. Thanks for pointing these out to me! Amp abuser, I need your advice on the setup and proper breakin of the .061 AP engine. I have it going on Noel's half A Joystick. I have the airframe built, just have to get the radio sorted and cover, then the engine break in. Thanks again guys. Benji
Oct 26, 2017, 10:37 PM
Be aware that the Cox .049 shaft is 5-40 (1/8") while the AP is 3mm metric.
Oct 26, 2017, 10:57 PM
Hi Benji,

I imagine you may not have the manual so I have attached it for your viewing.

For me this is what I do:
You need to buy some hobby engine oil - or marvel mystery oil will work.
Take the glow plug off and input some into the cylinder rotate over manually
to insure a good coating. Tighten back up the glow plug assembly making sure
the cylinder threads and glow plug adapter threads are oiled.

Put about 5 drops of oil into the carb spin over manually as you add the drops
Then stand up the engine on it's spinner for at least an hour to let oil migrate
on the axle and crank case. Flip it over on to the side muffler exhaust down and
flip over to flush out excess oil. If you have a 1/2A starter rev it up and blow out
last bits of free oil. Set needle valve at 4.5 turns out and start up the engine rich
follow break in instructions try not to exceed 10,000 rpm for the first tank of fuel.
You are in affect cleaning out any machined metal particles and factory oil / grime.
While the engine is cold after the first rich run up have tools on the ready to tighten
up the flat screws if any became loose, back plate, head assembly.

Second tank you can heat cycle the engine do not exceed 15k warm it up shut it down warm
it up shut it down cooling heating still keeping it rich. 20% castor 25% nitro if possible the nitro
will keep the engine running rich.

One other thing I like a dab of oil between the prop thrust plate and the case. Also remove the
back plate and oil those threads. Key thing is a good oiled up engine prior to break in will ease
in the moving parts without excessive wear.

After you have broken it in remove the fuel line start it up to run out any remaining fuel then
re oil through the carb about 5 drops working it in to cover the internals for storage till the
next time it gets run up.

My favorite AP Wasp .061 run is this flight here:

Skorch Flying - AP .061 - Profi Tuned Pipe (10 min 12 sec)
Last edited by Amp Abuser; Oct 26, 2017 at 11:09 PM.
Oct 27, 2017, 07:49 AM
Here are two of the Mecoa ones, just be sure to order the Cox adapter with it.
The cut-outs are fine for glow propellers.
Oct 27, 2017, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teufelhund222
Hey rainyday, yup those will work to. There used to be a pretty good selection from all the major hobby manufacturers for half A. Sad that theyre gone now. Thanks for pointing these out to me! Amp abuser, I need your advice on the setup and proper breakin of the .061 AP engine. I have it going on Noel's half A Joystick. I have the airframe built, just have to get the radio sorted and cover, then the engine break in. Thanks again guys. Benji
For the AP engine is best to take it appart and clean the inside before you do anything. There can be lost of stuff in there...
Check the head gasket too, these are quite flimsy from the factory, but Norvel/Cox shims will fit too. The plain bearing crank is very sloppy and these are only ABN engines, so I would recommend full castor fuel only (20-25%). Even then the nickel layer will eventually flake off, similar to the problems that OS have with their ABN engines.
Oct 28, 2017, 11:52 AM
Thanks Amp Abuser and Surfer Kris! I dont have the manual for it. I got it and a AP .09 both nib just missing manuals. I only have the Cox fuel right now 25% nitro. I do have some klotz benol castor I could add to it if needed. I also have plenty of marvel mystery oil as well as 3in1 oil for breakin and after run duties.
Oct 28, 2017, 12:12 PM
Wow! I dont know how you keep up with planes going that fast Amp Abuser. Im an old man now with no hope of trying to fly horizontal rockets! Lol. Glad to see the damage wasnt that bad though. Prop and rudder arent bad for a hotliner crash like that. Very nice place to fly you have there, looks like its top secret from the lack of other pilots. ��
Oct 28, 2017, 12:21 PM
Oh! I may have overlooked it, but what size prop do you guys recommend for breakin and then general sport use? Using the Cox 25% fuel which I know is a synthetic/castor mix since that is all I have on hand atm. Do I need to add any castor to it? Thanks for all the help guys! Benji