Hobbytra Blue Phoenix - RC Groups
Oct 20, 2017, 06:37 PM
Drat and double drat!
Discussion

Hobbytra Blue Phoenix

So, I got my very first rc airplane about 16-18 years ago, it was one of these kits. I built it and flew it a lot, it's still in flying condition, altough rather beat up. Recently i purchased a new kit for one of these, i'm gonna build it as good as i can and do some 2m rc glider competitions with it. Here's gonna be a small build log for this amazing rc glider.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2017, 08:36 PM
Drat and double drat!
This thing's progressing fast, now gotta go sleeping so that i have something to build tomorrow, too!

After taking this photo i realized that i want to minimize the gap between my ridder and stab, so i carved small notches in the rudder to accommodate the hinges, now there's no gap at all.
Oct 20, 2017, 09:46 PM
Show us a shot of the plans. This is not a familiar airplane to us here in the U.S.
Oct 21, 2017, 01:34 AM
Drat and double drat!
Arright, i'll take a shot from them as i get back home!
Oct 21, 2017, 08:21 AM
Drat and double drat!
Here's a photo of the plans. This will be a really good looking glider as i get her built. My only concern is how to reinforce the spots where wingtips join to roots with a slight dihedral, the original way has held for me in my first plane but that has never seen a serious hi-start, this one will be started with a light histart, so i will be reinforcing the wing a little.
Oct 21, 2017, 10:39 AM
This is a very nice bird on your bench!!! I built my Blue Phoenix in 2002, not the kit, but from plan. It is still in service and great in thermal flying. Last May I went to local RES competiton with the old BP. And it was not sooo bad flying with all these modern ships.

Kai
Oct 21, 2017, 11:28 AM
Drat and double drat!
I like this model very much, too, and i'm gonna compete with it too.
Oct 21, 2017, 09:58 PM
Drat and double drat!
Some progress done today. Fuse is ready for trimming the nose balsa planks and after that it's gonna be sanding time, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow, today's work is done. Also I'm gonna round out horizontal stab's triangular corner braces as i did with the vertical, and sand a bit better profile for the leading edge. Tail is being held on by pins, I'm not gonna glue it on before it has been covered. I checked the tails to be level with the wing seat by placing a straight wooden stick firmly on the wing seat and sanding the tail surface seat until the tail surfaces sit straight with the stick on the wing seat.
Oct 22, 2017, 03:20 PM
Drat and double drat!
Ok so fuselage is now sanded round, now some light filler to couple small dents and then light final sanding and a layer of glass. Tomorrow i'm gonna tackle the wings, glassfiber can wait.
Oct 24, 2017, 01:44 AM
An excellent build! Looks like the Hobbyträ Blue Phoenix is a great thermal ship.

The Blue Phoenix reminds me somewhat of the Drifter II. Years ago, a friend built a Drifter II as his first R/C and in comparison it outfloated my Wanderer, which was my first sailplane.
Oct 24, 2017, 02:22 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIR/Cer
An excellent build! Looks like the Hobbyträ Blue Phoenix is a great thermal ship.

The Blue Phoenix reminds me somewhat of the Drifter II. Years ago, a friend built a Drifter II as his first R/C and in comparison it outfloated my Wanderer, which was my first sailplane.
Yeah, it does look a lot like the Drifter II. Some visible differences, especially in the tail.
Oct 24, 2017, 11:02 PM
Drat and double drat!
Some progress again. One wing panel done, only the lower plywood brace to attach to the root, then i can finish the tip part for this wing and the tip part of the other side wing, then i'll have to go to my friend's workshop to plane 3x6mm pinewood sticks, i am a bumblef#ck and i managed to chop one of the wing sticks as wing saddle... Well, no big deal.
Oct 26, 2017, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtakuono
Here's a photo of the plans. This will be a really good looking glider as i get her built. My only concern is how to reinforce the spots where wingtips join to roots with a slight dihedral, the original way has held for me in my first plane but that has never seen a serious hi-start, this one will be started with a light histart, so i will be reinforcing the wing a little.
The Drifter II had another plywood brace of 1/16" glued to the inside of the leading edges of the root and outer wing segments where they meet.
Nov 09, 2017, 04:32 PM
Drat and double drat!
So this is the situation now, right wing all done and covered, tail surfaces covered. Tomorrow i am planning on beginning the left wing, also i will cover the fuselage with paper and then paint and lacquer it.
Nov 16, 2017, 04:36 AM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Early 90's (could have been late 80's) and I purchased a kit called Blue Phoenix from the company Höllein here in Germany and it was identical to what you are building there. It was advertised as Laser Cut, which was rare back then and at a really good price (can't remember but really cheap). They told me at the time that the kits were being produced in Sweden exclusively for them but you do get told a lot when the day is long .

Fantastic quality and the model flew really, really well but I did initially make a huge mistake and used totally transparent Oracover to show off the innards. Unfortunately I used Cyno and it left a dark staining at every joint with looked untidy and annoyed me . Then I went to maiden her, flew like a dream from the bungee but there was no lift that day. Next day I took her to the slope where the conditions were marginal but she soared like a home sick angel, which caused the major problem!!!!!

Ever flown an invisible or disappearing model???? Any more than 100 metres or so and she just vanished, gone . Scary but fun for a while.

Re-covered in purple Oracover and I had a good 5 - 10 years out of her mostly off of the bungee/ tow start but she also had hours and hours off of the slope in light winds. On one particular occasion I had bungee'd her away to hit the biggest booming thermal that I have ever experienced, speck'd out in a couple of minutes and 'ran away' to get clear but still had a good 10 minutes, back into the lift and did it again. After a several repeats I got bored and went to sit with the other guys (still flying) and passed the tranny on, around 1 hour and 15 minutes later and 'Frank' (trying to learn to fly a helicopter, never flown fixed wing) was having a go and crashed her into a field of Rape . Turns out that he is a mode 2 flier and the tranny was Mode 1 but he just didn't realise and was sawing away on the throttle!!!! Took 3 days and a flight in a full sized aircraft to find her.

Then I dug an old Cox's 0.8 ccm and Jerry rigged a pylon mount and used it as a first flights trainer and a couple of people pretty much learned to fly on her.

Bizzare thing is, can't for the life of me remember what happened to her, can't remember crashing/ trashing her but I did 'give up' flying in around 2000 and was 'out' for around 5 years, I gave away and sold everything so it must have gone then but I don't know where, might even be still flying.

Paul