dynamic soaring? - RC Groups
Oct 20, 2017, 02:34 PM
Question

dynamic soaring?

but isnt dynamic soaring using the horizontal wind, like albatross do?
Dynamic Soaring: How the Wandering Albatross Can Fly for Free (2 min 35 sec)

so, if you fly using the vertical wind coming from a slope or cliff you should call it slope soaring?

just wondering
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2017, 02:58 PM
Stay in it!!!!
It's about extracting energy using the two different air masses. The high pressure oncoming wind and the low pressure trough. Doesn't matter the direction or angle.
Oct 20, 2017, 03:16 PM

slope is dynamic?

but then why there is a whole forum on slope?
https://www.rcgroups.com/slope-97/

i think that slope soaring is slope soaring, as they correctly call it.
on slope you get lift from the wind blowing up.
but on dynamic soaring, according to the link i provided on albatross, the birds use the wind blowing horizontally, and THAT is dynamic soaring because of the way they maneuver.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Oct 20, 2017 at 03:24 PM.
Oct 20, 2017, 03:45 PM

watch the video

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor
It's about extracting energy using the two different air masses. The high pressure oncoming wind and the low pressure trough. Doesn't matter the direction or angle.
have you watched and listened to the video?
the way these birds do is using the wind and performing a maneuver to generate lift. they generate lift by manipulating the wind.
on slope the wind provides the lift no matter what you do-or dont. the lift is there with you doing nothing.
dynamic soaring means manipulating the wind dynamically.
my point is that the words should be used so have a logical meaning.
slope soaring is slope soaring.
dynamic soaring is what the albatross do.
Oct 20, 2017, 04:36 PM
Obsessed
Call it a tostada. I still want to do it!
Last edited by screamin' eagle; Oct 20, 2017 at 04:42 PM.
Oct 20, 2017, 05:00 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez

so, if you fly using the vertical wind coming from a slope or cliff you should call it slope soaring?

just wondering
Sure, why not. What does that have to do with Dynamic Soaring?
Oct 20, 2017, 05:40 PM
In the video, just like during Dynamic Soaring, you extract energy from wind gradients. The albatross uses the wind gradient due to the sea surface, in DS you use the wind gradient due to the shearing of the horizontal wind and the dead zone behind the hill.
Oct 20, 2017, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH
Sure, why not. What does that have to do with Dynamic Soaring?
nothing. thats my point.
Oct 21, 2017, 06:51 PM
DS Addict
Relying on this 2 minute video to adequately explain DS is what might be confusing this for you Phil.

The scientists seem to be attempting an explanation of their data without fully appreciating the forces and actions in play. The GPS data collected from the Albatross and the 3D visualisation provided shows they tracked the path of the birds. To me, they have ignore critical data. They have assumed a flat ocean surface, and wind gradients due to height above a flat surface of water and associated drag difference at different altitudes.

The ocean, particularly where albatross fly is not flat, and is just like the hills and ridges we use for slope soaring and allows dynamic soaring principles to be employed. Albatross typically dive down behind large waves, flying into winds and lift created by the waves on the windward side and then crossing a shear layer between different air masses above the wave crests and down into the wave troughs and repeating.
Oct 21, 2017, 08:05 PM
Agreed. I suspect if those studying the Albatross watched how we DS first hand, they'd come
to a greater understanding of how the Albatross does it (and how other birds to it as well).
And yes, strong winds will definitely build up the size of the ocean waves which creates
larger and sharper gradients.

The other thing to realize is that DSing isn't like an on-off switch. The sharper the gradient
the greater the acceleration gained versus the airspeed lost to drag, but a softer or
more turbulent gradient can also be DSed as long as you can carry your momentum
fully across it. And yes there are dynamic elements available while frontside slope soaring.
Pumping entails transitioning from a region of lift (wind vectors angled one way) to a region
without (wind vectors angled a different direction) and back, allowing
the aircraf to go higher and faster than it could by just trying to climb straight up.
Even doing loops where you dive down very close to the hillside can give a dynamic pop
when you pull up because there's less wind close to the ground (just as with the Albatross
there's less wind close to the water in the troughs of the waves).
Oct 22, 2017, 04:22 AM
DS will change your life

Soren
Oct 22, 2017, 06:26 AM

and this

thanks.
and what can you tell about this?
http://www.dynamic-soaring-for-birds.co.uk/
Oct 22, 2017, 07:49 AM
608 km/h!
Last edited by josh18; Oct 22, 2017 at 07:57 AM.
Oct 22, 2017, 08:25 AM
DS will change your life
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez
thanks.
and what can you tell about this?
http://www.dynamic-soaring-for-birds.co.uk/
You can call this sloping if you want,,,,,, but only after you have done it yourself

Thermic, Ds session (2 min 57 sec)

S
Oct 22, 2017, 09:05 AM
wait a minute: you didnt answer my question: what do you think of the link?

now lets talk about your video. very interesting indeed. and a great example.
1st, if flying at the other side of the hill, facing the sea where the wind blows constantly upwards, and you fly your plane back and forth, that is slope flying. i hope you agree. you do nothing to make the plane stay afloat. just turn it left and right doing lazy 8s facing the wind.
then, when flying at the opposite side of the hill, as the plane is seen, that is dynamic soaring because you have to keep it going up and down and turning constantly. are we understanding each other?
so i dont have to do that in order to bring an opinion.