ESM D3A1 Aichi Val, 81" 30cc - RC Groups
Oct 20, 2017, 11:50 AM
Discussion

ESM D3A1 Aichi Val, 81" 30cc

I didn't see any thread on RCgroups for this plane. They make a green one and a white one. I just ordered the green one. They are not made for electric, so I will have to come up with some battery placement. Like most electric conversions, there will be a tradeoff between "time spent building battery compartment" and "time spent removing and replacing batteries." I will wait until it arrives to decide the battery placement.

https://vqwarbirds.com/product/esm-aichi-d3a1-val/

Anybody else have one of these (electric)?

I notice Rimfire motors have a bit of a gap between the 1.60 size and the 50cc size. The former is 634g and the latter is 1250g. Almost a factor of two, with no product in between! Ideally I would like something in between, although the 1.60 should be fine for this plane.

Anyway, also here is a video of one with a not-very-graceful landing. But nice flight.

RC YT / ESM AICHI D3A "VAL" 81inch DIVEBOMBER - LEE AT RAF TIBENHAM BATTLE OF BRITAIN FLY-IN - 2015 (4 min 9 sec)

I think I will add a bomb drop, because....why not. It is the right size for those "Adam Bomb" things that you can fill with flour to make a nice cloud on impact.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2017, 08:14 AM
Eflite has a power 180...so a smidge bigger then a 160.

I have a 160 for my H9 81" spitfire, but it's a good bit lighter having built up fuse instead of your VAL with fiberglass.
Note though, I also have the CMP Me109G at 73" on a power 160. Has flown with authority and it's not a light plane. It's fuse is fiberglass too, but heavier then an ESM of same size.

My 87" TF spitfire has the rimfire 50cc.

I do wish electrify would produce a 35cc electric motor though.
Nov 01, 2017, 01:02 PM
Yes, that 180 might be a good option. But it is only 10S, and 195kv. The Rimfire 160 is 12S-capable, and much higher kv. So the former would swing more prop load at a lower RPM, versus the latter.

Overall, it seems there is a shortage of motors in the 4000-watt range. I see many choices in 3000-watt range, and many in 5000-6000 watt range, but nothing around 4000 watts. At least not that I’ve found yet, but I still have many other vendors to check out (Neumotors, etc.)

I realize 3000 watts is more than enough for this model, but I like to go a little bigger because we have weeds lining the runway, and if I get off center, sometimes a ridiculously non-scale “3D takeoff” can save the day. Better to have extra power and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Anyway, the box arrived, attached are a couple photos of the top and bottom of the fuselage. Changing the batteries without removing the wing will definitely require some cutting. I’m thinking I might assemble the whole thing and get some idea of CG before I decide how to arrange the battery placement and access. Otherwise, I risk cutting a hole in a place that the batteries don’t belong.
Nov 01, 2017, 02:47 PM
Yes the eflite 180 is 10s and lower kv then the rimfire 50cc. Two things... One.... You could use a high pitch prop.. Such as a 20x15 or two.... Run it on 12s.
A lot of people have run the 160 on 12s without issue. There are also two variants of the 160....one with a kv of 245 and one with 290.

I'm using the 290 version in my 81" H9 spitfire.

You mentioned wanting more power then needed "just in case".
With that in mind, the rimfire 50cc seems like the best option. You don't have to prop it for 5000 watts, you could prop it down for 4000 ish, however... Most electric motors have a sweet spot where they run the most efficient.
Nothing says full throttle is required either.

This was why I installed the 50cc electrify motor on the Top Flite spitfire (87"). Big enough motor to spin a close to scale size prop.
I'm betting your VAL will end up about the same weight as my TF spitfire simply because of your fiberglass fuse.
Extra power can't hurt and the 12s battery setup might help CG
Nov 01, 2017, 05:39 PM
Well, that would certainly be sufficient in power, but I'm thinking that is too much weight. Rimfire 50cc is 600 grams heavier than the 160.

How much does your TF 87" Spit weigh?

I have a TF 85" P-47, and I use a Rimfire 65cc. That plane is >10kg...I forgot exactly, maybe 11kg. For that P-47, the 65cc is a good match. I like it. But the plane is much bigger and heavier than the Val, even though the span is only 85" vs 81". The Val should be closer to 7kg when finished (I hope). And besides, scale flight for a fighter should be a lot more spirited than for a Val.
Nov 01, 2017, 10:01 PM
I have the 65cc rimfire in the ESM fw-190 d9...really excellent match. I don't remember the exact weight... Maybe 24 pounds... but the plane flies phenomenal.
I have a 65cc in the ESM me109g also. Good Flier
I think the 50cc is a better match all around though for to the kv and still running 12s

My TF spitfire weighs 21.5 pounds
Nov 05, 2017, 02:43 AM
Looking at the tail moment versus the short nose, you'll need more weight in the nose than most 1.60 size motors and batteries can provide. If you look at VQ's recommended Gas Engine of 26cc, this would likely be a Zenoah G26 which weighs 1520 grams without the prop. All this weight is hanging off the firewall.

I think a 50cc - 65 cc electric would be the best selection with a scale diameter 3 blade prop. I'd make the forward cockpit tub removable for battery access.
Nov 05, 2017, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGBvr
Looking at the tail moment versus the short nose, you'll need more weight in the nose than most 1.60 size motors and batteries can provide. If you look at VQ's recommended Gas Engine of 26cc, this would likely be a Zenoah G26 which weighs 1520 grams without the prop. All this weight is hanging off the firewall.

I think a 50cc - 65 cc electric would be the best selection with a scale diameter 3 blade prop. I'd make the forward cockpit tub removable for battery access.
Ah thanks, that's a good point. The batteries are much heavier than fuel, but they also typically aren't as far out. I agree the airframe looks a bit short up front.
Nov 05, 2017, 04:10 PM
Depends on where the batteries are placed.

My TF spitfire has them right behind the firewall standing vertically. There's a hatch through the cowl to access them.