Great Planes 1/4 Scale Spacewalker Conversion - RC Groups
Oct 19, 2017, 07:31 PM
Discussion

Great Planes 1/4 Scale Spacewalker Conversion

Has anyone done a more recent electric conversion of this plane? I've seen the older threads.
I'm wondering about how to handle changing the LiPo batteries , and removing the wing each time doesn't really lend itself. Making a hatch would be one solution, but this doesn't look like an easy solution either, given the structure of the fuselage.

I'm thinking about about either a Power 90 or 110 on 8s, 5000 mAhr LiPos if I can woke out the changing issues.

Appreciate your thoughts and feedback. Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2017, 09:03 PM
I've got a Sig Space Walker kit, still in box but an 8S pack should do it.
Looking at some notes I made for mine I am considering a Scorpion 4025-330 KV motor, 8S pack and 16X8 APCE prop.
I don't know much about the GP version but it sounds very similar in size.
Check out Inov8tive Designs for some ides:http://innov8tivedesigns.com/
Lucien has quite a large data base of motor/C/ Battery and prop combinations.
You will have to create a battery hatch in the fuse and you will have to know where the battery will have to be in order to get the CG right. MY guess it will be some what just behind the firewall, probably where the fuel tank would set,which mean you will need to cut away a hatch, and add some velcro and a couple straps . Mount the ESC OUTSIDE the fuse, I sometimes mount them inside the cowl.
I use neo magnets to hold the hatch in place but there are many ways to do this. You may need to modify the spot where the fuel tank sat in order to get all those cells in so be prepared to do some cutting and rework. again I don't know how GP built there version so be prepared.
Knowing exactly where the battery packs need to be will indicate where your hatch will be.
Another thing to consider is a separate battery pack for the radio in case there is a problem with the flight packs. There will be plenty of room for a small 2S lipo pack next to the receiver.
Above all else, use an arming switch such as ARM Safe. Do not depend on the radio to keep you out of harm's way especially after you've installed the battery packs and connected them to the ESC. Anything can happen and with a motor /prop combination that size contact with it whilst in operation can lead to tragic consequences.
Good luck.