Where can you get just the thimbles for leadouts and lines? - RC Groups
Oct 19, 2017, 02:50 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
Discussion

Where can you get just the thimbles for leadouts and lines?

I really only need the thimbles to terminate control lines and leadouts.
Are these thimbles from some other application (we can get elsewhere) or are they purpose-built for this application.
I've looked around but only see 2-part grommet types.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2017, 03:46 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Brodak has these:

http://brodak.com/brass-eyelets-1-8-i-d.html

Ralph
Oct 19, 2017, 03:52 PM
Hi, those'll do for leadouts but I am looking for the small thimbles you loop your control lines or leadouts around, to terminate.
Oct 19, 2017, 04:05 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Sullivan has "Control Line End Kits" near the bottom of this page:

http://sullivanproducts.com/ControlLineMainFrame.htm

Ralph
Oct 19, 2017, 04:08 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
McMaster Carr also has "Fabric Grommets" in various sizes:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#grommet-eyelets/=19vtsp6

Ralph
Oct 19, 2017, 04:46 PM
Turn-n-Burn!
Brodak
Oct 19, 2017, 07:09 PM
MBS is the best deal with 20 for $2. If you want smaller ones, then the Brodak is good. I actually made some with some dollar store eyelets, and swaged them on a piece of cardboard. Not worth the trouble for sure. I wanted small ones which I did not know Brodak carried. I got some very small ID copper tubing from the LHS with 1/32" ID that I use for sleeves that works well, and is cleaner than the normal 1/16th ID stuff.
Oct 19, 2017, 07:39 PM
MBS is who you want to get them from.
Oct 19, 2017, 09:46 PM
Yup - looks like MBS is the place - thanks.
It's an impulse/habit from my engineering days - there's nothing like knowing you have a lifetime stash of the little bits.

Thanks - Peter...
Oct 19, 2017, 10:03 PM
Buying a 1000 ft spool of line from MBS is also a good idea.
Oct 20, 2017, 06:27 AM
IIRC, there are several illustrations of acceptable terminal methods shown in AMA rule book. This is available on line, and shows several different ways to "skin the cat", so to speak. Again IIRC, these are suggestions, not absolutes.

Years ago I was shown a quick way to make loop ends, without a thimble on cable leadouts. These were quick and dirty, for .36 powered combat models, but proved more than adequate, to the task. A short length of K&S 1/16 OD brass tub;ing was used as swage, over the doubled back cable and then crimped one time. Simple and quick, no solder. Aluminum tubing could be used on 1/2A combat ships. A thimble certainly could be used, if one desired. I prefer to use pre tinned copper wire"noose" wrapping in lieu of brass or copper tubing, and a quick sweat solder, but that's just me. Something about trying to add final touch that looks workman like, very neat, and functional. It's one of the first things I look at when examining somebody else's model.

I remember a lot of guys used hard wire lead outs that used simple "safety pin" terminals, at both at bell crank and external ends. I seem to remember too, that AMA banned the Sullivan type line connectors in late 60's, but everybody used them anyway. What are they using now?
Nov 01, 2017, 03:58 AM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
don't need any just get some copper tubing make your own and youll have spares for a life time, and the AMA
Last edited by lectroglide; Nov 01, 2017 at 02:43 PM.