HobbyKing SkySword EDF Jet - RC Groups

HobbyKing SkySword EDF Jet

H-King's Skysword was announced last month and the cool looking EDF jet has been a hot topic for discussion ever since.

Splash

SkySwords are Now In Stock

H-King's Skysword was announced last month and the cool looking EDF jet has been a hot topic for discussion ever since. The plane features plug in wings, a bolt together design, battery cooling, easy access hatch, 10 blade rotor fan, retractable landing gear and LED nav lights. The nose is long and pointy, but it can actually be removed for safe transport. The Skyword comes in two different colors, orange or blue, and in two versions, PNF and ARF. The PNF will have all the electronics installed including a 3632 1500kv motor and a 100A ESC. You'll need to add a 6S 5000mAH lipo with at least a 65C discharge rate. This thing looks to be fast, fun and affordable. The PNF lists for $351 and the ARF is $189.

Check out the Main Discussion Thread for the Skysword here

Check out the Skysword at HobbyKing

H-King SkySword 1200mm EDF Jet - HobbyKing Super Daily (2 min 7 sec)

Specs:

• Wing Span: 1200mm
  • Fuselage Length: 1600mm
  • Servos: 12g x 8
  • Motor: 3632 KV1500
  • ESC: 100A with BEC
  • Flying Weight: 3200g
  • Radio: 6 channels and up
  • Fan Blades: 10

Oct 23, 2017, 12:10 PM
Quote:
The PNF lists for $351 and the ARF is $189.
Not sure where you got those prices, I see 426 and 245 on the site and thats not including shipping cost

Too expensive. It's only 6s, and the plane itself is like a year old now it's just rebranded. I see nothing to justify that price.
Oct 23, 2017, 01:44 PM
BOHICA!
Intellectual property ripoff of the AD Diamond
Oct 23, 2017, 03:03 PM
crash rc plane is my job....
Great AD Diamond from an Italian guy paint in Star Wars scheme (note R2D2 behind the canopy).........seen live.......spectacular !!!
Oct 24, 2017, 03:57 AM
Wow. I know the turbine foam version is about to come to USA but HK beat them to it with this EDF. I saw someone fly it at our local field and was surprised to see the speed. A lot faster than my freewing stinger.
Oct 24, 2017, 11:11 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Overpriced and just not a good looking aircraft as far as I am concerned. I know the styling will appeal to some, but it does not do anything for me.

I predict it will eventually go on on sale for under 200 to reduce inventory.
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Oct 24, 2017, 07:43 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandetlol
Not sure where you got those prices, I see 426 and 245 on the site and thats not including shipping cost

Too expensive. It's only 6s, and the plane itself is like a year old now it's just rebranded. I see nothing to justify that price.
Global warehouse prices vs. US warehouse prices. A little misleading to put the global price in the article and not mention the US price.
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Oct 25, 2017, 06:15 PM
OW! my eye!
Oct 25, 2017, 10:58 PM
So torn between liking EDF's and not...
Love the sound and the speed! A blast to fly, but time to land before you know it...
Oct 26, 2017, 01:39 AM
4.2V of pure Kraut power
Quote:
6S 5000mAH lipo with at least a 65C discharge rate
Ist this is joke? That would be a current of 325 A!

Any good 30C 5000er will do in this setup, better get a battery heater...
Oct 27, 2017, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzfrank
Ist this is joke? That would be a current of 325 A!

Any good 30C 5000er will do in this setup, better get a battery heater...
I would totally be interested in a 7200 watt (9.6 horsepower) EDF lol.

Yeah the electronics are only rated for 100 amps and judging by the fact that they only use 12 gram servos in the ailerons probably not built for any kind of outrageous speeds (sub 130mph I'm betting)
Oct 27, 2017, 07:49 PM
What an incredible aircraft. It looks futuristic and straight out of Star Wars and flies with authority straight out of the box. The finish on this thing is really incredible. I own a dozen other EDF jets, and the paint and finish on this only looks like foam upon close inspection. From a few feet away it looks like it could be fiberglass.

It assembled very quick and I had it ready to fly within an hr of it arriving on my doorstep. It didn’t come with an instruction manual, and I couldn’t find the link to the .pdf instructions on HobbyKing, but a quick chat session and they forwarded me the link. I assembled the jet without instructions, and really only needed them to achieve the proper CG location.

I would consider myself in the expert category of EDF flyers, and I also fly jets for living. The day I put the maiden flight on my orange Sky Sword, the winds were gusty and I was initially apprehensive of doing the maiden flight in such conditions after watching the gusts toss my 70mm A-4 around.

I decided to fly anyway, and was rewarded with a stable platform that only needed minor aileron and elevator trim adjustments for a 3rd pass 10ft off the runway at maximum speed. It did not need elevator mix for flaps and the robust landing gear delivered a smooth touchdown despite the gusts.

This is definitely an intermediate to an advanced level EDF jet. It will be a rewarding upgrade for anyone who’s already cut their teeth on something like the Stinger or Avanti type entry level EDF types.
Oct 28, 2017, 10:24 AM
IFR
IFR
Noticed they never mention the fan size.. Like most edfs do...
Dec 03, 2017, 08:17 PM
90mm, mentioned in the video.