Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Feb 22, 2002, 11:14 PM
Find More Posts by Eco8gator

Queston about my brushless motor

Hello All

I was flying my Eco 8 in the lighted, fenced tennes courts in my apartment complex(on spectators)

Well, I flew the first pack at 80% governor(I have a Kontronik 3SL-40-6-18 in helicopter mode) and the motor was pretty warm after the pack.

After I let my heli rest for about 25 mins(in this time I was charging a pack) I flew my heli again but this time at 100% governor and after the flight, my motor was much cooler than before, and the same with my controller, but the battery pack was only a little warmer.

So, why did this happen.

I will test this more tomorrow, after golf

Carlo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2002, 02:29 AM
Find More Posts by misskimo
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan

hey

its like this you climb a hill on a 4 wheeler , "big alaska hill" in 5rd gear , you have it wide open doing about 30 mph , and here comes your buddy , in 4th gear doing 40 passing you , half way up you run hot and your motor quits , and you watch your buddy make it to the top , and he used less fuel too ,

gearing is all there is to it so you haveing it at 80% is like having it in a higher gear , kinda , and it sounds like you need to bump it up 1 tooth on your pinion . then run it at 80% to have a cool motor , what are you getting at 90 % Time and motor temp ?
I bet you can find where she runs her best tinkering with the % of your throttle and fly battery after battery ,
what motor are you using ? I think it was the aveox right , do you have a heat sink ? I put one on my borchert and my temp went down 25 degrees, now I can run battery after battery ,

Tony

also the heat has to go some where , where at 80% it was going to the motor , just think at 70 % the motor and esc would get hot because its useing a higher amps which means " hotter" the higher the voltage the less amps you will have , with that said , would be like 12 cells batteries , 10 is good for you though , have you ever tried 10 cp 2400 , since I know you are running 10 1700 2/3rds scr? that wouldnt change much in your flying style since you dont do no 3 D huh ? I got only 3 minutes out of that pack I got from you , but I didnt change the pinion yet , but I still think I have a monster under my Voyagers hood , on 10 cells and I will find out if I have to send my spair motor and esc to LVRCFlyer Jason , so he can put it in his super V on 10 cells , I bet she will blow the doors off the hacker , I just know it , the motors got to much grunt for its size , 1 1/4" long and big around as a quarter , motor and esc weights 100 grams less than the stock Voyager motor and esc with 25 % more power
Last edited by misskimo; Feb 23, 2002 at 02:47 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2002, 02:56 AM
Find More Posts by Eco8gator
Hello Tony

Actually, I was using my 9 cell pack(2000 mah matched and zapped). I have had that thing for about a year and it has been used and abused and still takes 2200 mah using my Supernova 250s!

I have not tried my 10 cell at 100% governor yet, because that is too much for me to handle I usually fly at 80% governor on 10 cells and my heli has all sorts of crazy Kung Fu powers The motor temp is about the same here as using the 9 cell on 100%. Your probably right, I should go up a tooth or 2 when using a 9 cell.

You hit it on the head, I have an Aveox 1406/3y and no heat sink because my motor doesnt get that hot, but for 10-15 bucks I should add one. I think I will, butt where to get one that is the same color as my red aluminum head?

I find that my motor prefers the 10 cell but I love my cell(kinda grew an attachment to it being my first heli pack). Thanks Jason.

I have not tried the 2400s yet but I think I may pick up a pack for a longer flight time.

Hey Tony, could you takes lots of Pictures of you F1-60 conversion for me and send them to me? Please I love seeing Pics of other helicopter; I have a large collection already.

So how is the 10 cell CP1700 doing in your Voyager or EP Concept SR? You must get crazy climb rates with such a lite pack.

Do you still fly you EP concepts? They are nice for around the yard flying and cheaper to fix in an accident.

My email is los64@hotmail.com

Carlo
Old Feb 23, 2002, 03:12 AM
Find More Posts by misskimo
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan

hey ,

I dont know how they fly outside yet , still to damn cold , but I did try them out in the gym 2 times and yes , they had bumped up my rpms to over 2000 , even at 80 % was still to high , my 8 cell pack tops out at 1650 to 1700 ,
hey I bought 2 8 cell nimh from Jason , I quit useing them because they cant take a full charge anymore , matched pack 2200 mah and the nonmatch about 2500 ,

about heat sink , huh ? dont know where to find a red one , but I been makeing my own heat sinks for my heli , my F1-60 is at work and I will be working on it tuesay when I get there , and I will send you some pictures of it then ,
I been flying other friends ep concepts for the past month , but I have out grown that one , but I still have mine , and its just new in the box with a new hughes 500 fuse ,

I have a new toy coming in the mail as we speak , cnc mill , cant wait either , Im in need of one part , I have it but its plastic and I want metal , a belt pinion ,
Old Feb 23, 2002, 03:24 AM
Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
A brushless motor runs more effecient in the high 80% area. Even if you were running 100%, it may have been closer to 90 depending on how you setup the motor.

You should get longer flights on the 1700's than the 2000's. My 1700's charge to 1900+ and are 5 oz lighter than standard SC cells. And the V likes to be light!

For a heatsink, check out the Traxxes #1522. Just $5 and clips right on, but its black