Oct 18, 2017, 11:10 PM
Thread OP
Careful!

Don't Get Fooled By Fake C-Ratings : Scam Alert

The R/C market is flooded with high C rated batteries and it’s very easy to get fooled if you do not understand the true rating of a Lipo battery. Most Manufacturers label their batteries with a inflated C rate to promote their brand, but in all actuality if you tried to really discharge these batteries at their Continuous C rate and Burst Rate they will ALL fail, puff, or even catch on fire. There’s a maximum discharge limitation to ALL Lithium batteries.

Frankly, Todays technology only allows for a maximum discharge of 50C+/- continuously. You may use “bursts” of power exceeding 50C+, but this power demand can only be sustained for seconds before the longevity and the battery cells are compromised. Lithium technology is further governed by many factors some such as over-discharging, over-temperature, and short circuiting/high-discharging. Furthermore, Lithium cells also expand at high levels of state-of-charge (SOC) and are inherently unstable, thus high power demands at the fully-charged state may result in delamination, thus bad contact of the internal layers of the cell, which in turn brings diminished reliability and decrease in overall cycle life of the cell.

At the moment todays C-rating are very misleading to customers, we feel that throwing darts at a wall and picking a C rating because the number sounds “cool” is just outright lying. Companies with integrity are thus punished by advertising conservative and real ratings, so a standard practice of measuring continuous C rate must be made. So, Hyperion has created a new C rate measuring standards, called “Cmax”. The definition of "CMax" means; The Continuous discharge rate for 100% rated mah capacity delivered, is half of “CMax” rate.

What does that all mean? It’s simple, let’s say you have a Lithium battery that has a stated battery capacity of 2,200mah on the sticker. Now let’s say this 2,200mah battery has a discharge rate of “50Cmax”. So, if you discharge this battery at half of “Cmax” continuously (in this case 25C) you’ll receive a delivered capacity output of 2,200mah. Got it, discharging at half of Cmax will give me all the battery capacity that's on the label...

Now, try to do this same “CMax” standard discharge test using a competitor’s 80C, 90C, or 100C+ battery and see the results you get compared to our packs, you'll be surprised that our 50Cmax batteries are sometimes equivalent to other-brand 60~70C+ batteries. Not only If you try to continuously discharge a battery at 70~100C+ you’ll receive just a tiny fraction of the mah capacity stated on the packs, like 100~300+/-mAh delivered capacity.

So before you pick a new battery, look at independent third-party reviewers and get real test data, stick with companies that have been around awhile and offer a warranty program.

The Silicon-Graphene Advantage

The Journey towards Silicon-Graphene was not an easy one. How does one build the perfect silicon-graphene anode? The age-old mystery manufacturers have been puzzled by. Our journey first led to anodes made of nanowires or nanoparticles, which are so small, it makes the nano-structure less likely to break apart.

Making a battery anode made partially out of silicon-graphene has led to a more stable and higher energy-density per charge when compared to most of today’s commercial anodes available by other Industry leaders.

The particles used in Hyperion’s proprietary formula are very similar to materials used to make semiconductor chips. Silicon-Graphene is like bits of sawdust of all shapes and sizes. Our silicon-graphene particles can be just one to three microns in diameter.

For the graphene to work properly, it’s all in our coating. Silicon particles have to mate almost exactly. When silicon particles are joined it must be the exact thickness. Layers of silicon-graphene thus act as catalyst that promotes conductivity.

Manufacturers have tried a number of other coatings for silicon anodes, but they all reduced the anode’s efficiency. Hyperion’s proprietary G7 Silicon-graphene coating is one that maintains high efficiency, and the reactions can be carried out at a wide-variety of temperatures and applications.

Here’s a Cross-sectional diagram of a high-capacity G7 silicon-graphene cell. This view is of stable electrodes, connecting through a network of graphite.

Red Lines: Anchoring regions of Si-graphene composite.
Blue circles: Si nanoparticles
Black lines: graphene sheets.

Some other tips when choosing your next battery is, what's Internal Resistance and how does that effect me?

To explain this issue, we need to first understand what internal resistance (IR) is. Every LiPo cell has internal resistance, and this is what limits the max current draw of a LiPo battery.

Ohm’s Law: Voltage (V) = Current (I) x Resistance (R)

Energy that is lost to resistance will turn into heat, and this is what causes the battery to get warm when discharging at high current. It might even “go puffed” (become swollen) in some extreme cases.

Since V=I*R, to maintain the same desire current, the voltage required would be proportional to resistance. That means if the IR is high in your battery, you will have bad voltage sags. When voltage drops, your motor will lose RPM and your ESC will go to low-voltage cut-off mode. Thus, less delivered mAh capacity is delivered.

Note that IR can change over time, even a change of temperature can affect it. And note that some battery packs have low IR, probably because of the high C-rating, but it’s not always true that high C-Rating batteries necessarily have low IR.
Know which C Rating is best for you

Before deciding to buy a High rated C Lipo battery it is best to know the exact utilization of your power system as neither too low nor too high rated battery is good. An average rated battery performs best if the power system it is used in makes 80~90% utilization, basically you don’t want to use the battery at peak too much, but you also don’t want a larger and heavier battery pack to become overkill for your application.

Unfortunately todays battery technology is not perfect yet, but with G7 Silicon-Graphene cells we’re edging closer.

More information regarding our G7 HV and SV Silicon-Grpahene infused batteries can be found here:

G7 HV Si-Graphene (4.35v)
https://hyperion-world.com/hyperion-g7-hvli-article

G7 SV Si-Graphene (4.2v)
https://hyperion-world.com/hyperion-g7-sv-article

Looking to upgrade to HV batteries but don't have a charger? for a limited-time only is offering a great deal on the Imax X150 Touchscreen AC/DC HV compatible charger, just $43 for US customers:

https://hyperion-world.com/en/p1114904-im-x150ad-p
Last edited by HyperionRocks; Oct 19, 2017 at 12:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2017, 06:22 AM
Whilst most users would approve of this and I agree with that sentiment, I do not understand why you have only gone halfway to the truth with a "CMax" rating which is really only a half truth as the truth is that figure divided by 2.
Presumably this is done so that you can still write a high figure on the label which looks impressive and, probably more important, is comparable with the numbers printed on competitors' lipo packs.

If manufacturers are looking to print high numbers on packs, what is wrong with telling the direct truth in Amps? On a genuine 50C 2200 pack you could put "Maximum Continuous current = 110Amps: Max Surge = 150A" (Terminations, wire and connectors permitting although at 50C the discharge time allows some overrunning of these items.)

Apologies if the above sounds grudging praise; but at least a seller of lipos has come out in the open with the truth about C ratings and that is to be applauded.

Wayne
Oct 19, 2017, 10:06 AM
Bobbybrown
It makes perfect sense to me. One half of C max is equal to the rated capacity of the pack, higher demand will result in higher current and much increased discharge rate.

The new Hyperion Silicon Graphene packs seem to be on the level and they are trying to at least inject some truth into the labeling, unlike some other brands.
Oct 19, 2017, 10:36 AM
Edit: deleted
Last edited by Matt86; Oct 19, 2017 at 12:58 PM.
Oct 19, 2017, 09:08 PM
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
I was just looking at that charger, have it saved. It's between that and the ultra power up100ac.
Oct 19, 2017, 10:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleb
I was just looking at that charger, have it saved. It's between that and the ultra power up100ac.
Yeah, this is the one I actually use personally almost all the time, for a AC/DC charger it does almost everything I need for small~medium size HV and Standard-votlage packs. I use the USB port all the time for my phone, I think it's like 3A or 5a output...

The charger is good we're just currently over-stocked on it, that's why the low price, it's normally $73+/-

Quick Reply