This thread is privately moderated by alphatex, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 18, 2017, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Enya VT 240 Restoration

Just a bunch of dirty metal pieces. Disassembly was straight forward, a few stripped head bolts that needed careful drilling and extraction. Back plate was tight due to the cam gears being stuck. Heat and Kroil did the trick.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2017, 10:20 PM
Thread OP
Cleaning parts, starting with the larger pieces. Most go into the ultrasonic for a few 10 minute cycles at 55 degrees Celsius. Solution is 1/3 LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner, 2/3 water and a capful of Aluminum Brightener.

After the bath, I started polishing the crankcase pieces. Some folks probably consider that a sacrilege doing that to such an engine, but it's mine and I can do what I want with it!
Oct 19, 2017, 05:05 AM
Closed Account
Absolutely beautiful engine Jim! Congrats on that one. I would love to see/hear a run video of that beautiful piece.
Oct 19, 2017, 04:07 PM
Thread OP
Thanks David, I've never done a video before but will attempt to do so with this one. My current dilemma is trying to decide whether or not to blast the cylinders and anodize them. The original paint is chipped in a quite few spots.
Oct 26, 2017, 04:36 PM
Thread OP
Ok, not going to strip the cylinders. Touched them up as best as I could, doesn't look too bad. Several screws have been rounded, so considering replacing them with stainless. Wonder what others think about that and the use of anti seize?
Oct 26, 2017, 05:33 PM
Closed Account
I would not use stainless steel screws personally. The black oxide screws I get from ACE Hardware work just fine. I simply put a drop of oil on the screw threads or in the hole and install them. Never had a need for anti-seize.
Oct 26, 2017, 05:39 PM
Thread OP
Cool, that's probably what I'd do then. What do you think the issue with stainless would be? Might strip the aluminum easier or maybe chemistry difference may cause reaction?
Oct 26, 2017, 05:41 PM
Thread OP
Shiny stuff..waiting on gaskets, o-rings and bearings before reassembly.
Oct 27, 2017, 03:08 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatex
Cool, that's probably what I'd do then. What do you think the issue with stainless would be? Might strip the aluminum easier or maybe chemistry difference may cause reaction?
I don't think there is an issue using them. I personally wouldn't only due to the cost of the fasteners. Unless you just want the look of shinier screw heads there is no structural need for stainless.
Nov 05, 2017, 12:20 AM
Thread OP
New bearings installed. The piston rings felt alright, so saving the new ones as spare for now. Assembly underway.
Nov 05, 2017, 12:21 AM
Thread OP
Can't decide on types of screws, stainless button head or regular black cap head?
Nov 09, 2017, 09:15 PM
Thread OP
Went with stainless screws, I think it looks good. Reassembly is complete, now waiting to test run and tune.
Nov 09, 2017, 09:16 PM
Thread OP
Wonder how much tail weight I need to add?
Nov 10, 2017, 04:04 AM
Closed Account
Absolutely beautiful Jim!
Nov 11, 2017, 10:46 PM
Thread OP
Thanks a bunch, David. This one took almost a year to source all the parts for the rebuild.

Quick Reply