Oct 18, 2017, 08:28 PM
Thread OP
Question

Could I 3D print my own turbine/impeller for my EDF?

Could I if I had a 3D printer?
and if so what would be the optimal impeller/turbine shape?
I want a turbine with low blade count. low weight. but very strong airflow at low RPM.

very thin blades too. also what material would be the strongest as well?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2017, 09:29 PM
Suspended Account
why not.

first get a 3d printer.
Oct 19, 2017, 05:21 AM
Thread OP
I wish I could afford one but too expensive for me

but is it possible anyways for someone that does have one?
And what would the recommended material be for a turbine. whats the strongest and most toughest durable stiffest material to use? (least brittle) ?
Oct 19, 2017, 12:01 PM
Classic jets rule
Low blade count and low rpm thrust dont really work,also a thicker blade would be better for low rpm thrust.
Oct 19, 2017, 12:02 PM
Classic jets rule
Way better to just buy a good fan and motor set up.
Oct 19, 2017, 12:57 PM
Are you thinking of designing your own fan ?
Oct 19, 2017, 02:34 PM
It is perhaps worth noting that a 3D printer 'builds up' the shape using a thin thread of plastic one layer at a time that hopefully sticks well to the the preceding layer.
An injection molded component is created 'all as the same time' so the molecules of the plastic bond completely to each other as it solidifies under pressure in the mold. In addition with the injection molding process the molecule chains can be made to flow along the lines of maximum load.
Guess which fan is likely to be structurally stronger!
just buy a good molded fan.
Oct 20, 2017, 04:52 AM
jofro
Question- Could I 3D print my own turbine/impeller for my EDF?

Sure you can, if you like to use it for ornamental purpose or just a quick test blow-up run. For a long and reliable service stick with the well known and proven brands!
Oct 20, 2017, 07:00 PM
Thread OP
Nevermind I just wanted to know if it was possible or not.
Oct 21, 2017, 02:53 AM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by realflow100
Nevermind I just wanted to know if it was possible or not.
Of course it is possible, but you should have rather ask if it is workable.
Oct 21, 2017, 04:41 AM
Of course its possible with the advancement in 3d printing knowledge, and available material used in 3d printing from carbon fiber to nylon to ABS one could easily put one together . But one would really have to know how to design make files and print . this is where most people will have issues and cost rise

For instance presently designing functional turkey feathers and full exhaust system for F 16
3d printing is taking RC building to the next level of scaled pieces

As for engines well you be the judge once you design and have functioning working unit you could scale from 50 mm to 200 mm EDF turbine version

I scaled down files of speed brakes and could make it 1/4 scale if i wanted to

GE GEnx-1B 3D Printed B787 Jet Engine with Thrust Reverser (3 min 51 sec)
Last edited by Nightswatch; Oct 21, 2017 at 04:53 AM.
Oct 21, 2017, 06:14 AM
Thread OP
Wow I wasnt thinking of anything quite that advanced
but I am decent at modelling my own things in 3D
ive modelled a 3D propeller pretty easily. I do it a really crude but effective simple way using the program Blender 3D (I use an old version because the newest versions are impossible to work with and i cant find any options that I'm used to because theyre all shuffled around)
Oct 21, 2017, 09:10 AM
Classic jets rule
That vid is some awesome work.....would.love to see 2 of them flyinga airliner.
Oct 21, 2017, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
That vid is some awesome work.....would.love to see 2 of them flyinga airliner.
Exactly could you imagine the amount of time to create those files and TBH were at the turning point in medium range printers to be able to make that quality print .. what were seeing here today is very low end printers trying to deliver good quality prints and why were seeing many fail attempts etc .

But times have changed and prices have dropped , and its only going to get cheaper and better as this technology improves. and more genius dare to go where no man has gone before .

It Will become apparent every RC builder will need or want a decent printer . just a matter of time Air sally buddy if your thinking of a printer this is the bad boy right here as far as i am concerned best bang for the buck and it puts you in the medium to upper end class of quality right off the bat ..

https://www.amazon.ca/300300400mm-Cr...creality+cr-10

And for some that do not believe it The aviation industry uses 3D printing technology because it has the capability of reducing aircraft weight, while increasing customization and overall construction efficiency.
The FAA already cleared GE Aviation's first 3D printed part to fly and as of March 2015, Boeing approximately has more than twenty thousand non-metallic additive manufactured parts that are on airplanes they've delivered to their customers. made from 3d printers
Oct 21, 2017, 01:04 PM
Here you go for starters

Quick Reply