More and more bad press.... - RC Groups
Oct 17, 2017, 10:39 PM
Discussion

More and more bad press....

Quebec City, ABC News.

And then there are the drones that halted fire fighting in Northern California as homes burned.

And, yes, last week there was a helicopter hit.

Are there some drone pilots TRYING to be idiots? Frankly, the FAA and disgruntled people are going to start declaring open season on drones.

If you know drone pilots that are f-ups, you might want to drop a hint that they are hurting everyone by their actions.
Last edited by kurtataltos; Oct 17, 2017 at 10:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2017, 12:31 AM
What does this button do?
Absolutely agree with this. While trying to avoid their retaliation back on you...they need to be ostracized and shunned and outed and embarrassed so that they and everyone else sees that no these actions are not acceptable. Education and public awareness. NOT rules and regulations with non-existent or impossible enforcement.
Oct 18, 2017, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by z10user
Absolutely agree with this. While trying to avoid their retaliation back on you...they need to be ostracized and shunned and outed and embarrassed so that they and everyone else sees that no these actions are not acceptable. Education and public awareness. NOT rules and regulations with non-existent or impossible enforcement.
How else do you suggest we educate the idiots? And I mean that seriously.

Right now we have a choice between the FAA and the AMA. You don't want the FAA doing it, since it will then become overly and needlessly complex.

The AMA is better situated to handle this. However, the MR crowd had shown little interest in joining, Muncie has a whole raft of issues (burying their heads in the sand, wasting resources on projects for a small minority, etc).

I would suggest giving AMA better temporary support, and see how this election goes. And be prepared to start a new organization in the event that AMA does not change it's ways.

RStrowe
Oct 18, 2017, 10:24 AM
What does this button do?
I don't have the answers. I really wish I did. And then who would listen to me. But as that old cliche goes...you can't legislate stupid..(or something like that) Stupid people break laws all the time and don't get caught.
One COULD assume that it's probably younger people doing these stupid things. One COULD assume that they're more inclined to be on social media platforms. One COULD assume then that that would be the place to shame etc them with all their peers. But of course that's all dependent on if you can identify them. But even if they're using some kind of pseudonym (like here) in places like here then they can be shamed as well.

Education like those photos somebody posted a while ago. Figure out some catchy line like here's a plane on flying object. Yeah I'm no marketing expert either.

But no I don't have the answers. Who am I afterall? Just some anonymous internet citizen.
Oct 18, 2017, 10:40 AM
The laws and regulations that are supposed to stop things like that from happening are already in place. The problem is that these idiots don't care about laws and the people who implemented them can't possibly enforce them. More laws won't do anything except hurt 99.9999% of model airplane flyers who abide by the laws and regulations.

If they really want to solve the problem, they have to focus on education and enforcement of the existing laws. That may mean putting an import tax on drones to pay for spotters at every airport and sensitive area. If the problem is as bad as the media wants us to believe, locating and prosecuting the people breaking the law should be a piece of cake!
Oct 18, 2017, 10:41 AM
I miss President Reagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStrowe
How else do you suggest we educate the idiots? And I mean that seriously.

Right now we have a choice between the FAA and the AMA. You don't want the FAA doing it, since it will then become overly and needlessly complex.

The AMA is better situated to handle this. However, the MR crowd had shown little interest in joining, Muncie has a whole raft of issues (burying their heads in the sand, wasting resources on projects for a small minority, etc).

I would suggest giving AMA better temporary support, and see how this election goes. And be prepared to start a new organization in the event that AMA does not change it's ways.

RStrowe
The FAA won't do the education. The FAA will establish the standards and allow those businesses who meet those standards to provide the education. Right now there are a number of outfits stepping forward to provide the Part 107 Drone instruction. Prices range from $20 for an online test prep to hundreds for a classroom course. But that's for the commercial world of drones. Would these businesses be interested in the hobby world?

That leaves the AMA. And my question would be, will one have to be an AMA member to take their course and receive certification? Knowing the AMA I'd wager the answer is yes.
Oct 18, 2017, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
The FAA won't do the education. The FAA will establish the standards and allow those businesses who meet those standards to provide the education. Right now there are a number of outfits stepping forward to provide the Part 107 Drone instruction. Prices range from $20 for an online test prep to hundreds for a classroom course. But that's for the commercial world of drones. Would these businesses be interested in the hobby world?

That leaves the AMA. And my question would be, will one have to be an AMA member to take their course and receive certification? Knowing the AMA I'd wager the answer is yes.
Unfortunately I would agree re:AMA.

If they were smart, they would offer the course and testing to anyone, make it free for AMA members(ie: a benefit of membership), a nominal charge for non-members. Might show some of the 'value' of membership. Maybe run it like the FAA's 'WINGS' program for private pilots, or American Flyers does for their CFI renewal program.

RStrowe
Oct 18, 2017, 03:44 PM
Quote:

Bet the drones taking pics of the forest fires were commercial. Probably not licensed though.
Oct 21, 2017, 01:28 AM
AMA is never going to have any real influence unless they can cut their membership cost to $20 at the most, and preferably less. As it is, few people can afford to join even if they want to. But there are so many more model aviators now than there were 10 years ago, they could be raking in the cash, and helping keep things safe at the same time.
Oct 21, 2017, 04:12 AM
I miss President Reagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Bet the drones taking pics of the forest fires were commercial. Probably not licensed though.
Commercial or not. If they did NOT have permission, and my bet is they did not, then they had no business being there and should be prosecuted accordingly.
Oct 21, 2017, 08:04 AM
Gene Simmons for President
Quote:
Commercial or not. If they did NOT have permission, and my bet is they did not, then they had no business being there and should be prosecuted accordingly.

Press always falls back on the 1st amendment to trespass, violate privacy etc.Peoples right to know etc.

You bet the AMA will require membership, they are turning this fiasco into one big membership drive.The AMA doesn't know it but they are helping to end RC flying.
The more regs they pile on and the more its going to cost and club politics is going to lead to even greater non compliance, that will set the stage for a complete ban on rc.
Oct 21, 2017, 09:10 AM
I miss President Reagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtech
Press always falls back on the 1st amendment to trespass, violate privacy etc.Peoples right to know etc.

You bet the AMA will require membership, they are turning this fiasco into one big membership drive.The AMA doesn't know it but they are helping to end RC flying.
The more regs they pile on and the more its going to cost and club politics is going to lead to even greater non compliance, that will set the stage for a complete ban on rc.
When the press comes to my neighborhood, I run a roll of aluminum foil through my shredder. I then load up a bunch in a cardboard tube that fits snugly in a larger tube. Effectively making a simple air gun. I then take aim at the medias antennas and fire. They respect my property after that.

Something similar might work on the drone threat?
Oct 24, 2017, 07:42 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekutree64
AMA is never going to have any real influence unless they can cut their membership cost to $20 at the most, and preferably less. As it is, few people can afford to join even if they want to. But there are so many more model aviators now than there were 10 years ago, they could be raking in the cash, and helping keep things safe at the same time.
$20? Really Some of these quads cost hundreds of $$, and many of these 'idiots' have multiple units, nd they can't spring for an AMA membership? Nah, price is not the issue......
Oct 24, 2017, 10:01 AM
I miss President Reagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
$20? Really Some of these quads cost hundreds of $$, and many of these 'idiots' have multiple units, nd they can't spring for an AMA membership? Nah, price is not the issue......
I think the idea is economy of scale where the more members sign up, the lower the price can be. Of course, the AMA will need to make the first move but they won't. If anything, they'll raise the price of membership.

I'd like to see a break down of the dues and what percentages go where? i.e. xx% for insurance. xx% to support the Muncie facility, and so on. But it's probably hidden behind that transparency you keep hearing about.
Oct 24, 2017, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
Of course there are some who can afford it, but they're not going to join either unless membership becomes the norm among RC pilots rather than the exception.