Crazy 3M EDF conversion - RC Groups
Oct 17, 2017, 09:10 PM
Cool

Crazy 3M EDF conversion

Tired of same ole…same ole…several months ago I started on a Skunk Works build involving my Tango 2.9 This plane has been fun as a hotliner with the 1515 and 3 bladed 18x18 BUT cannot hold a candle to the snap maneuverability of the Tomcat 2.5 at the same power levels. As a matter of fact the old power system from the 3 meter is going in the Tomcat for on/off hotliner fun.

Anywho…on with the Skunk build. On/off was not an option and after watching tons of videos of scale gliders with EDF’s I had the bright idea, why not put one on my 3 meter Tango? Easier said than done…but the video proves…it is possible

I got a Wemotec 90mm Fan and stuck my Mega 22/60/1E in it with the CC 160HV.

First task was to fabricate some mounts. These were made from 1/8 birch ply with a layer of carbon/Kevlar and outer layer of aircraft grade carbon laminated to the ply. That was only done after several prototypes were cut out and tried to get the fan unit directly over the CG. My good friend Chris machined the aluminum blocks that finalized the mounts and clam shells held the motor in place. This proved to be a solid mounting system.

The real worry with any experimental build is getting that CG right. So that was established early on and 2 sets of my hotliner lipos were stuffed inside in series giving me 8S 4400mah and low and behold it balanced great with ZERO added weight or shifting of gear AND I was able to take 80grams of lead out of the tail.

Next since this beast now weighs a piggy 9lbs or more…I don’t really want to know….how in the world was I going to launch this thing? Not at one to one on the thrust there was no way a hand launch with an EDF was possible so I started with a dolly.............did not work so well and damaged the leading edge of my wings……..long story short………ordered a Hose Monster Mega Zip Start bungee from Mark at Aerofoam and an adjustable tow hook from ebay.

Began reading on bungee launching large gliders and realized the hook location is critical For a flat speed launch (which is what I wanted) the hook is located 2/3 the distance from the nose to the CG and that’s where I put it. The second key to successful bungee launching is enough tension and that needs to be 5 times the weight of the plane which comes out to 40 pounds.

To be frank, the thought of a giant rubber band shooting my 3 meter glider into the air was scary But the day came and it had to happen sooner or later. So back about 20 paces to 40 pounds (which was tested earlier) bounce the plane up three times and on the third bounce I let R go

WOW that thing was 100 yards out in the blink of an eye BUT the launch was beautiful with a slight climb with no power on I then added power (afraid of a violent pitch down as the fan is above the wing) but it wasn’t bad and trimming was a breeze

This video was the fourth flight and I am still getting used to it…….very different…..but really fun and it sounds so cool….will be doing inverted lower passes very soon
Last edited by arcticflyer; Oct 17, 2017 at 09:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2017, 09:10 PM
here is the video:

RCRCM Tango 2.9 w/90mm Wemotec EDF (4 min 48 sec)
Oct 17, 2017, 10:27 PM
Very cool my friend. Canít wait to see it in person!!!
Oct 17, 2017, 10:39 PM
By the time I get back should have all the bugs worked out....you know where this is leading..............and it ain't more lipos.........
Oct 17, 2017, 11:33 PM
pnc
pnc
Is there going to be enough room in the fuselage for fuel I guess you can run a big piece of that hose monster and use it for a bladder tank like we did in control line speed..
Oct 18, 2017, 07:48 AM
pete - I'm getting about 4 minutes with the lipos if I could get 6 or 7 that would be OK but just can't get any more E juice stuffed into that Fuz....on the other hand a tank that is form fitting could give me those extra minutes I'm looking for. Down side...you can't fly it at all fields like electric.
Oct 18, 2017, 09:02 PM
pnc
pnc
It might even go like this.......

https://www.chonday.com/26022/fasrcpaltu5/
Oct 21, 2017, 06:06 AM
ROV Pilot
Lipos in the wing..
Oct 21, 2017, 06:49 AM
Or fuel....
Oct 21, 2017, 08:21 PM
pnc
pnc
I just picked up a 4mtr Orca with a glider fuse and a electric fuse and yay the 1518 and 10 cells fit ....it does have the 3mtr tips I just wonder if the wing will hold up seems strong enough
Oct 21, 2017, 09:26 PM
Is it a carbon D-box or all carbon wing?

I have flown mine several times in the past few days...bungee launches are a non event now, the guys at the club were impressed with how quick that thing gets slung into the air

I must confess I am yearning for more power&time. Don't get me wrong this is really fun and different but it would be so much more with 3 more minutes and a bit more...umph
Oct 21, 2017, 11:30 PM
pnc
pnc
All carbon
Oct 23, 2017, 10:46 PM
After watching this, a bungee doesn't seem too bad.
LOL HAND LAUNCH & UUPS, - so funny and a lucky man - nothing is crashed. (1 min 51 sec)
Oct 23, 2017, 11:10 PM
pnc
pnc
Did you get your new turbine yet Richard. .?...?.
Oct 24, 2017, 07:01 AM
WOW...made me laugh...thanks Seng, I needed that one this morning
What I pictured happening if I tried to toss mine